2010 MT Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there may be some misunderstanding wihtin this thread regarding this engine braking thing. Personally, I'm not talking about using the engine as a subsitiute for the brakes, but as a means of augmenting them.

I agree that dumping the clutch with the engine at, say 5,000RPM, and then using that as the sole means of stopping, places undue strain on the engine & drivetrain. This will most likely cause long term damage or increased wear. As stated, it's also dangerous in as much as the car behind has no warning of an impending stop.

Coasting to a halt in neutral, using just the brakes, reduces the level of charge from the alternator, thereby placing extra strain on the battery. This is especially so if the aircon, heated seats, etc, are running at the time. It also places a lot of stress on the brakes which will become over-heated, and therefore less effective, is this is repeated a few times within a short time (brake fade).

I'm advocating downshifting and braking at the same time as this realises extra braking advantage and prolongs the life of the brakes without causing any engine & transmission damage. It places no more strain on the engine/trans than 'normal' gear changing gear does. But it prevents the brakes from overheating, preserves your battery charge, and allows you to accelerate instantaneously if the situation changes.

I'm not sure if it still applies, but here in the UK it used to be illegal to coast to a halt on a downhill gradient as the vehicle was considered to be out of the driver's control.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I personally don't think it makes any difference on accel -v- decel as far as the trans is concerned. I would think that if the clutch is engaged properly, it shouldn't know or care that it's trans braking or accelerating.

I rarely gear brake just because I prefer not to, and I agree about someone not paying attention behind you and a greater risk of rear ending you the same way they might if your brake lights were not functioning.

Roger Podacter, was your car an AT or MT?
My car is stick and i replaced it with a brand new tranny. I have no definitive proof that it was my driving style of down shifting, or just a random fluke incident that caused the tranny to break. When it actually broke i was on the freeway going up a long steady hill in 5th gear at about 50mph or so. I went to exit and when i switched to third gear i gear a rotational clunk sound. I believe i was able to drive it right to the dealer where they diagnosed the broken layshaft and case.

All i know is ever since then i have avoided down shifting when coming to a stop. Of course i still down shift all the time when in stop and go traffic for example. I rev match exactly but i never slow down with it in gear. Instead i slow down in neutral and then sorta double clutch into the proper lower gear and then proceed.

I just feel the stress on the tranny from this heavy car can weaken the drive train over time. So i just go into neutral most times. It seems to me that stress on the tranny when slowing puts stress in one direction. And then obviously stress from normal accelerating puts stress in the other direction. So i try to avoid this back and forth. Also i'm very gentle during normal driving anyway so i'm not putting alot of stress from normal shifting. Its just my personal driving habits.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I usually leave the car in whatever gear it is in and apply the brake to stop the car at the stoplights. When the rpm drops to 1K, I simply clutch and pop the gear into neutral (by then the car is close to a complete stop anyways).

I agree coasting in neutral is dangerous as you have less control and the fellow behind you has less warning on your intention to stop.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe i'm saying the wrong thing. i pop into neutral and use the brakes so there is no danger since my brake lights are on just like normal. i guess that's what i meant to say when talking about coasting to a stop.