2009 vs 2010 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 vs 2010 TSX

Hey guys,

I'm very much in the market to purchase a new TSX but we are looking at January or February for our purchase so we are in a bit of a bind ... should we go with the 2009 or wait for the 2010?

I understand that April is about when the new models come out ... am I right or wrong on that?

Does anyone know what features the 2010 will have over the 2009?

Cheers
Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it doesn't matter the features.

WAIT FOR THE 2010.

The 09 is very, very close to being considered a lemon in my eyes.
the list of problems it has after only being out for a few months is staggering.

I know it's an Acura, but the Honda corp. really dropped the ball on this one.
It's actually kind of frightening seeing all these problems popping up one after the other.

Here's a summerized list of some of the problems with the 09:
not every car has every problem, but most every single one has at least 2 of them.

cup holder lid sticks
gas cap lid sticks
leather on driver's seat becomes detached
valet key cut wrong (opens every lock in the car)
outer molding around windshield just falls off
moderate to severe "enging pinging" in AT models
poor quality/blown speakers in the Tech models
rattling/scraping of metal in the rear due to poor design
faulty TPMS sensors
burning electrical smells
and others.

below are some links for you to check out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/

when the TSX first came out in 2004, it was kind of similar.
but not like this. most of the problems were seen in the long term of
that first model year. like having the interor LED lights all go out on the dash.
or worse yet, having the whole A/C system fail just as you went out of warranty.

buying the first model year of ANY car is a very bad idea, even an Acura.
especially now as Acura is getting cheaper in their produciton standards.

so no matter what, wait till the 2010's come out.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 PM
User with Skills

I agree.. wait till 2010. and maybe u'll luck out and find an upgraded engine haahah.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ZildJonKim
I agree.. wait till 2010. and maybe u'll luck out and find an upgraded engine haahah.
lol nah, no way there'll be an engine change. It'll just be the usual facelift and more importantly, hopefully fixing all the problems.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

But when does the 2010 model come out?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Racer

not until Sept/oct of 2009 would be my guess.....
Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by 09TSX
why?

so not for another year?
huh.

the 09 was out in April, so why wait 18 months to put out the next
year's model?

truth is nobody knows, and all anyone can do is guess.

personally if I needed a new car early next year, a new TSX would
not even be on my list due to all of it's problems.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Okay, though I can see that there are certainly problems with the first new generation ... what have your experiences been with the service of the dealership?

Do they dismiss these problems out of hand or do they actually care and fix these problems?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
JDM Addict

well, if you'll read through all the threads, you'll find varying opinions.

some dealerships seem to not care at all, and do a terrible job of fixing
things or ordering things or whatever for you.

some dealerships actually care and try to fix the problems.

for the engine pinging, most every dealer in America, and Acura as a whole
have basically just said "deal with it."
but down under in AU, there's dealers that have actually torn the cars
apart and think they have it narrowed down to the torque converter of the
automatic transmission.
but even if you tell your American dealer that, they'll just tell you do deal
with it and that Acura says that it seems to be normal and in all the AT's.

some people are being forced to drive around for weeks or months with part
of the exterior of the car missing (around the windshield) because the dealers
either cannot or will not get the defective parts replaced in any sort of quick order.

each and every dealer is privately owned.
so each one is going to have a completely unique history, viewpoint, standard
of relations, etc.

this car having all the problems it does is actually very good for the dealer's
service department. they get paid well by Acura for their warranty work and
they should all be happy to do it. sure it hurts the brand's reputation, but it
makes them lots of money in service/warranty work.

so overall, they should be quite receptive to fixing the problems the car has,
because they profit quite nicely over it.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Racer

The only issue I have is with the valet key.. though I don't even know where mine is at so it's moot. Love my 09 so far. As for buying an 09 or '10, I'd definitely wait for the 2010 if you can. If anything, there may be a different engine option.. and if not, you can always get a deal on an 09.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMsTSX

WAIT FOR THE 2010.

the list of problems it has after only being out for a few months is staggering.

It's actually kind of frightening seeing all these problems popping up one after the other.

not every car has every problem, but most every single one has at least 2 of them.

cup holder lid sticks
gas cap lid sticks
faulty TPMS sensors
and others.

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145

that first model year. like having the interor LED lights all go out on the dash.
or worse yet, having the whole A/C system fail just as you went out of warranty.

That sucks to hear. I noticed the model on the floor at David McDavid in Austin had a sticking cupholder door. (
Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Racer

Chibianh...I am with you...the Valet key was an issue although I never use the valet key so for me, not an inconvenience at all. The other issue I have had was a squeak/creak in the back of the car and that was fixed and the car is tight and noise free again. I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoy my 09, much more so than my 06...The 2010 may well indeed have an engine choice (V6 or 4 cylinder) so that maybe worth while for those who want that option..
Old 10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Racer

The last 2 words of my message says it all...my guess.....
Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Too much chrome

You know, the manufacturer does change problem parts of the vehicle as time goes on. So a car that was bought in october could have fixed issues that showed up on the may production model. Problems could also be linked to problems on the assembly line during production, which could be fixed by now.

As for a engine change, you know whats coming soon so that should influence your decision.

IMO, if honda decides to offer some really great incentives I would go with the 09. The recent downturn in the economy could provide you with some really slick deals.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

That's kinda what I was thinking/hoping. Are there any NEW TSX owners that care to comment about the problems reported in the 2nd post?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I'd wait for the 2010 because of first year problems as mentioned previously. I have an 04....and not going to fall for the first year model again.

As for the new engine choice, yes. A V6 is said to be coming soon. See here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/diesel-delayed-v6-way-693283/
Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Advanced

I have had my 2009 since May 23rd.

The leather has come detached twice (drivers side once, passenger side once), I had the valet key issue, and I had a blown speaker, which is getting fixed Wednesday (I have the Tech. package).

I have an AT, and have NOT noticed any pinging however. I have like 3050 miles on the car.

The dealer has been ok so far with everything. Only thing that irritates me is I had an appointment last Monday for the speaker. I told them the problem, and they had me bring the car in, only to tell me "yeah, the speakers blown, but I don't have the part in stock, so you'll have to come back next week."

What was the point of me brining in the car the first time than? I already told them the problem. I don't understand why they didn't order the part when I called for the appointment.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

I've owned my '09 TSX for about a month. Tech Pkg. Can't say that I've even tried the valet key. Haven't had issues with the moulding on the windshield issue, sticking gas cap issue. The cup holder lid can get 'sticky'.
I've got a stick, absolutely wonderful to drive and even drive in traffic as the shifter is so smooth.
The engine does demonstrate a high pitched whine at 3-4K rpm. You don't notice it after a while.
The biggest issue thus far is the steering being vague. At times due to torque steer, the steering can keep you guessing as to where you are pointing the car (lasts for milliseconds) - it's bothersome for those windy roads that these cars are 'made for'.
wonder how the new diesel would change things....
generally, going with a second year model of a revamp is a good idea - but my old car died and the lease offer was good
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM
5th Gear

for the engine pinging, most every dealer in America, and Acura as a whole
have basically just said "deal with it."
but down under in AU, there's dealers that have actually torn the cars
apart and think they have it narrowed down to the torque converter of the
automatic transmission.
but even if you tell your American dealer that, they'll just tell you do deal
with it and that Acura says that it seems to be normal and in all the AT's.
This is true about what you said in AU as Honda Aus is currently working with Honda Japan to try to resolve the dreaded engine detonation/pinging issue that is plaguing the AT models.

I've read several days ago that Honda Aus has called up several CU2 owners to have their engine detonation/pinging noise checked by a Honda Aus mechanic. This is good news.

Also, there is a rumour currently that Honda Aus will have a massive recall. This will be fantastic news if it is true. However, as it is just a rumour then it's best to trust it with a grain of salt for now.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Intermediate

I haven't noticed anything reported in the 2nd post.

Definitely no sticking lids, no rattling, no burning smell, no detached leather, no blown speakers and no pinging.

On that note, how loud is the pinging? I've tried several times with aircon/radio turned off, accelerating steadily from 2krpm all the way up to 3.5k and i still can't hear anything. All this while concentrating for any weird noises.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kimnkk
<snip>
The pinging noise doesn't happen to all CU2 MT's so you're lucky you don't hear any weird noise. And hopefully it stays that way lol. So just enjoy the car and don't worry about the problem since you don't appear to have it.

And as with the other problems: can't say it also happens to the Euros we get in Aus because I believe our Euros are manufactured in Japan whereas the TSX are manufactured in the US? Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odor
The pinging noise doesn't happen to all CU2 MT's so you're lucky you don't hear any weird noise. And hopefully it stays that way lol. So just enjoy the car and don't worry about the problem since you don't appear to have it.
Oops, forgot a crucial piece of information. It's an AT CU2, which is what i find weird because people are saying its the auto transmission, or at least most Auto CU2s are affected.

I would love to pretend i can't hear the sound, but i want to hear the sound so i can get it fixed when/if Acura/Honda come up with a solution.

Perhaps we'll see more action when the CU2 hits japan sometime later next year. Due for an announcement in Japan in December i think. Oh yeah, that also means we should be seeing some Mugen stuff hit the market after the Japan release. Finally, a replacement for our grills!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by odor
And as with the other problems: can't say it also happens to the Euros we get in Aus because I believe our Euros are manufactured in Japan whereas the TSX are manufactured in the US? Do correct me if I'm wrong.
the TSX is made in Japan.
the RL is made in Japan.

it's the TL that is made in the US.

all the CU2's come from Japan.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kimnkk
<snip>
Yeah, the pinging problem seems to be only in the AT models as I haven't heard from anyone driving MT report having the same problem.

I can't record the noise it makes since I don't have a voice recorder and it's also a not so close friend's euro which has the problem. But the noise is pretty much the name that's been given to describe it - pinging (or other people with the problem have also described it as a knocking or clicking noise).

Anyway, don't worry too much since you don't have the problem. But just probably be on a lookout every now and then.

And yeah, I agree that when the CU2 is realeased in Japan later this year in Dec then we can finally have Mugen kits and esp. Mugen grill which is going to be the first thing I'll buy lol. No more ugly front grill.

Cheers for the correction MMsTSX
Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Racer

Just chiming in again....

Again, no problems for me except for the creak in the rear of the car but that has been solved and the valet key was a recall thing that really didn't bother me since I never use that stuff anyway....

Otherwise, no burning smell, no sticky cup holder, no pinging, no blown speakers, just total bliss!! I will say say that if you can wait for the 2010, its probably safer, especially if the rumors of the V6 comes true, that will give you a choice. I am quite happy with mine and the V6 would not have been something I would have considered as I love this 4 cylinder engine....

Best of luck and keep us posted...
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking 2004

why?

so not for another year?
huh.

the 09 was out in April, so why wait 18 months to put out the next year's model?
1st years tend to roll out early. The same thing happened w/ the 2004 introduction: it debuted in the spring of 2003 & continued on for like 18 months until the fall of 2004; after that, the following models usually debuted in the fall of the next year until the brand new 2009 debuted in the spring of 2008. Seems logical that it would repeat the process.

As for the 1st year problems: I purchased my 2004 TSX in November & luckily by then Acura must have fixed a lot of the issues as I did not have as many as other posters. I had a slight rattle, the center console tray had some issues & the passenger side locking button did not work. All minor issues that were quick fixes IMHO & so far have not had any issues in the past 4 years.

I went w/ the 2004 because it was sold @ a very low price being the end of the year altho I did miss out on a lot of additions for the 2005 model like heated side mirrors and passenger power seat. There is no telling what will be added for 2010 but you may want to wait until those are announced in case it is something worth waiting/paying for.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Intermediate

Wow, i guess its just very unlucky for some people to constantly run into problems. I've got an '04 Accord Euro with no problems (slight rattle on the passenger side window, but thats about as far as it goes). The '09, as far as i've discovered, just has slightly loose visor hinges when they're detached.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any features upgrades from our early model 03 until when the mid-life update was done, 06. The 06 got an updated trip computer, backlit steering wheel controls and updated aesthetics on the outside. I'm not sure when the mid-life update for the CU2 Accord Euro would be, but the Accord Euro didn't get one for 3 years!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
You're probably right. The 04 model was released in April of 03 and the 05 came out in Sept/Oct of 04 to get back in line with when new years typically come out. I see the same thing happening here.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Wow ... seems like it's about 50/50 for whether or not to wait ... but we are looking in February due to a new child on the way and the reason for the car is mainly the safety features ... but I do like how sexy it looks ....

From reading the forums, it sound like a lot of the posters here are interested performance and maybe testing out the engines a bit more than I would ... is it fair to say that the pinging happens when you are 'stretching the legs' of the vehicle or is this more a day to day thing with normal driving?

Also, one other question ... for now anyways. I hate the rims on this thing ... and I'm not going to spring for 18" from the manufacturer so the question is:

If I change out the tires and the tire pressure monitor is in the valve stems, what do I (or my mechanic) need to do in order to make sure the new rubber still has the tire pressure monitor?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Racer

llcooljayce....I can't say too much for the pinging as I never had it except once I heard it (once only) and its because my dad took and floored it so that has been my only experience with the pinging but from I have read, some say they have heard at lower RPM under "not so heavy" acceleration....

As far as the rims are concerned, if you are going to change the rims, you have to make sure the new one you have has a spot for putting the pressure monitor device (unless you pull the fuse out if you don't want the light to show up on your dash). I think I would want the device activated so I would try to find a rim that can accomodate the TPMS.... If you are thinking of new tires, these tires should be interesting:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Wow ... seems like it's about 50/50 for whether or not to wait ... but we are looking in February due to a new child on the way and the reason for the car is mainly the safety features ... but I do like how sexy it looks ....

From reading the forums, it sound like a lot of the posters here are interested performance and maybe testing out the engines a bit more than I would ... is it fair to say that the pinging happens when you are 'stretching the legs' of the vehicle or is this more a day to day thing with normal driving?

Also, one other question ... for now anyways. I hate the rims on this thing ... and I'm not going to spring for 18" from the manufacturer so the question is:

If I change out the tires and the tire pressure monitor is in the valve stems, what do I (or my mechanic) need to do in order to make sure the new rubber still has the tire pressure monitor?
it in no way is just people "pushing their cars" on the pinging issue.
this issue is all over every active TSX board there is.
and every CU2 board, period. was just reading more about it today on another
website. something as little as driving up a hill will make the engine
ping, and very loud. it's not something you will miss or mistake at all.

as far as TPMS sensors go, that's pretty easy.
the TPMS sensors in our cars are the valve stems.
the only rims that won't fit these sensors are multi-piece wheels, and
for those, they make little brackets. so basically any rim out there
will work with your TPMS sensors, you do not need to look for them to
list it as compatible or not.

what you need to do is take the tires off of the stock rims, and unscrew
the TPMS sensors, then screw them into the new rims before the tires
are mounted on them. easy as pie really. just a pain taking the tires off
and what not.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WAIT FOR THE 2010.

cup holder lid sticks
gas cap lid sticks
faulty TPMS sensors
and others.

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145

The 6MT also has the pinging problem. Not just the AT. I have a Tech and have a blown speaker, the rear deck was rattling but they fixed that by tightening it. Cup holder sticks but that's an easy fix. Other then that, no other problems. Both my 09 TSX's are 6MT and both ping.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by Lou01
The 6MT also has the pinging problem. Not just the AT. I have a Tech and have a blown speaker, the rear deck was rattling but they fixed that by tightening it. Cup holder sticks but that's an easy fix. Other then that, no other problems. Both my 09 TSX's are 6MT and both ping.
oh really?
sorry to hear that.
I guess it's not the AT then, must really be engine knocking.
that's too bad.

I hope they will actually care enough to find a fix for you.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
THe problems I had with my 1st year model '09 TSX are not "serious" but they are very annoying. (engine pinging) This is my 1st and last purchase of a 1st year model vehicle ever. Wait for the 2nd+ year model. Patience is a virtue.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
This is my 1st and last purchase of a 1st year model vehicle ever.
Yup that rule just applies to all vehicles - just saves you from all the hassles and pains from the problems first year models suffer from.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced

I've had my TSX since May, and have experienced none of the issues on the 2nd post. I've been on this board since, but didn't notice that many ppl complaining about that list.. most owners have been very pleased..

As for waiting, I thought the next year models come out in August/September. If you wait for the 2010, many of the first year issues are usually ironed out.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

I've only had mine for a week but so far haven't experienced any of the problems listed. Does the pinging show up right away or after some time?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
llcooljayce....I can't say too much for the pinging as I never had it except once I heard it (once only) and its because my dad took and floored it so that has been my only experience with the pinging but from I have read, some say they have heard at lower RPM under "not so heavy" acceleration....

As far as the rims are concerned, if you are going to change the rims, you have to make sure the new one you have has a spot for putting the pressure monitor device (unless you pull the fuse out if you don't want the light to show up on your dash). I think I would want the device activated so I would try to find a rim that can accomodate the TPMS.... If you are thinking of new tires, these tires should be interesting:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
Not to take it off subject, but I have those tires (225/40/18) on my TSX and they are prone to flat spotting overnight. I knew this in advance and it doesn't bother me, but if you consider those tires just realize that detail.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my TSX in May, so I'm assuming I got one of the very first batch off the line. My only problems are the detached leather clip on the seat (took 10 seconds to fix) and the valet key thing (which I don't even use, but will get fixed during the 1st scheduled maintenance). So I'm not experiencing the problems I'm reading about here. I do find it curious that its mostly 1st gen. owners weighing in and telling people to wait for the '10 because of all the alleged problems. I would recommend listening to the opnions of those of us who actually own the '09.

The '10 will come out in fall 2009. That is when new models traditionally come out in the industry. When an all-new model is ready that a manufacturer wants to rush it to market, they tend to release it whenever they want, but otherwise it's the fall.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
I do find it curious that its mostly 1st gen. owners weighing in and telling people to wait for the '10 because of all the alleged problems.
Yup. Don't listen to people who have experience buying first year Acura products. They obviously know nothing. Of course there's no coincidence in the fact that 05-08's don't seem to have any of the problems of the 04. I'm sure they magically made the 09 bulletproof from day 1. No worries.

My advise to avoid 1st year models goes for every make and model, not just the TSX. Especially if you plan to keep the car for an extended period of time.

Having said all that, I don't see many 2nd gen owners complaining about the problems MMsTSX mentioned.

Quick Reply: 2009 vs 2010 TSX