2009 TSX Test Drive Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh, Pleasanton. That says it all. :P

Originally Posted by elgage44

I got my '04 TSX the first month it came out. Loved it all along. Nearing 100,000 miles and decided to go check out the '09 even though my initial reaction to it has been lukewarm at best.

Probably the worst experience I've ever had a car dealership was yesterday when I went to go look at the color schemes and probably to test drive. The second question out of the sales guy's mouth was "are you going to buy one today?" I said no being upfront. We looked at two colors but I wanted to see white/parchment which required we drive to the overflow lot. He offered to take it on a test drive, I said yes, he went to copy my license, came back and asked again if I intend to "make a deal today." I said no again. Then he handed me my license back and told me to come back another day when "I'm ready."

If I get another Acura it will not be from Acura of Pleasanton!
I will go to another dealer today and get my test drive and form my opinion.
Fax the sales manager, or better yet, the general manager. I imagine he'd hit the roof hearing that salesperson convinced a current Acura owner to take his business elsewhere in a single, bad visit. Maybe the guy thought you were a recreational "taster," no intention to buy, but I wouldn't make that presumption (but then, I'm not a car salesman).

I had the Durham Toyota dealership do this to me in 2002. Saturday night, with my bank's carte blanche in my hand, I asked them for two items on a CPO Sienna I was considering, the VIN and the asking price. Salesperson kept making small talk and stalling and asking, "So, want to buy this car tonight?" I asked him again for the info, he left apparently to get it, but came back with his sales manager, who (clearly setting the tone for his staff) asked me, "Well folks, what's it gonna take for you to buy this car tonight?" I told him flat out, "Gee I sent your salesman to get some simple information, and he can't do that? Gimme the information I'm asking for, I'll call my bank in the morning to check KBB value on this model." Again he followed with the, "Well, gee what's it going to take to sell you this car TONIGHT?" I paused a good 30 seconds, looking into his eyes, then got up. "Never mind, I'll buy the model over at Anderson [Raleigh dealership] that I test drove this afternoon." "Hey wait, what's the problem?" he yelled at my back. "You're not giving me information I asked for," I shouted back." "But the banks aren't open tomorrow!" he yelled. "Mine IS," I shouted over my shoulder as I let the door swing closed. (No *@&%, USAA has car loan reps on duty through the weekend.)

Think I went back? No. Think I tell others about that dealer? You bet.

And what's ironic is that the salesguy at the other dealership was ultra-low key, answered all my questions, held the vehicle for me, and very quickly allowed me to negotiate the price down $500 over phone as I drove over. I must've directed 10-20 people back to that sales guy in particular. "Ask for Anthony, real nice guy, tell him I said hi."
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had an interesting experience at my nearby Acura dealership this weekend. I did end up getting to test drive the TSX, but before that happened I was told that they were only interested in letting people who were going to purchase in the next few days test drive, and that if I wasn't interested in purchasing it that soon, that I should come back for a test drive when they had more cars in stock. The sales guy also tried to convince me that the Accord coupe would be a really good car for me, which I really found strange considering I'd expressed my interest in a TSX, which is a four door. It was also strange considering they do not sell Honda's at this dealership.

In the end, I did get my test drive, and I was very happy with it. I have never driven a TSX before, so I cannot compare to the first generation. I also rarely drive automatic transmissions, but this one felt adequately responsive. The steering did feel a little light and disconnected to me, but I wonder how much I was just expecting to feel that way about it. The backup camera is really neat. The ebony interior with the tan rear shelf still confuses my eyes. I hope to make it back there (or hopefully a friendlier dealership) for another text drive within a month or so.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, though I've gathered that you have been eagerly anticipating getting your hands on one (intent to buy clearly established), I can see their point of view. They don't have the cars on hand for recreational test drives.

Still, demanding a show of interest in "buying right now" is extreme, and off-putting. YMMV, but if I got that kind of "show me the money" attitude, I'd be like, "That's okay, you have competitors close enough to drive to instead. I'll just use you to buy parts from ... oh wait, I can get them cheaper online, so you won't even get that business. Best of luck, guys. Thanks for the coffee."
Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
"Well folks, what's it gonna take for you to buy this car tonight?"
You should have answered, "HMMM, to sell me the car tonight, you'd have to give me the information I'm asking for now 2 days ago but since that's not possible, you could sell me the car in 2 days if you give me the info now, or you can keep dicking me around not answering the questions I'm asking and you could sell me the car as soon as hell freezes over."

Back onto the 09 TSX topic.....

I went to my old dealer last night to check it out, I didn't drive it but I did climb around. Honestly, I like everything about the car except the grill. It you took the grill and painted it the same color as the body, I think you have a hot car.

The doors are much more solid than the outgoing model, you get a solid "whump" when you close them firmly.

There is an interesting cover over the nav screen, I never noticed it in the pics.

I love the new steering wheel, it's smaller than the 08 wheel, but thicker and a bit oblong in the grip (just like the RDX wheel if you've held one before).

Finally, the car has a lot of angles and edges that don't seem to show up well in the pictures, the head light lense in particular has this flair out section that I couldn't see in pics but was noticable in person.

If I was in the market for a car, I'd certainly consider this.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

so I went to a dealership last night to check out the 09, I currently have an 06 w/ an aspec suspension on it and 6spd. I was interested in the 09 because people have said it is quieter and a little bit bigger. Here are some quick thoughts:
-I think the exterior is ok, not fond of the grill, I think it looks good from the side. I sat there and was just checking it out for around 10 min and was telling myself it was looking pretty good. But then I saw one next to an 08 and I prefer the older style...
-interior is a big gadgety for me. It feels like there is not more functions just more buttons. The dash overall looks cleaner in my opinion in the older model.
-While driving you can feel that is bigger. and I dont know if it was because I am used to the aspec but it felt floatier, more like a camry...
-I did like that 1st gear felt longer
-road noise was not noticeable at all for me, and there was less of the noise I liked, the vtec rev.

anyway those are some quick thoughts, I would say it is diffidently not worth an upgrade from an older model to this one. If someone was just wanting to get a new one and pick between 09 and 08, I personally would pick an 08' but they are subtly different and could see people liking the new one over the old.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Well, though I've gathered that you have been eagerly anticipating getting your hands on one (intent to buy clearly established), I can see their point of view. They don't have the cars on hand for recreational test drives.

Still, demanding a show of interest in "buying right now" is extreme, and off-putting. YMMV, but if I got that kind of "show me the money" attitude, I'd be like, "That's okay, you have competitors close enough to drive to instead. I'll just use you to buy parts from ... oh wait, I can get them cheaper online, so you won't even get that business. Best of luck, guys. Thanks for the coffee."
Yeah, I did flat out ask if he could recommend another nearby Acura dealership where I could test drive the TSX. That's when he went to go find someone who could give the required permission. I understand that they didn't have any cars on hand specific to test driving, but had he shown any interest in my request to get to know more about the car, I think that would have even sufficed over a test drive. One thing I did notice, as I was leaving the dealership, was an older couple getting into this same TSX model for a test drive. I can't assume whether or not they were going to buy right away or just looked like they would be a better bet of a customer to the sales guy. Either way, he did make the effort, which I appreciated, but I think that I was expecting my level of excitement to discuss the car would be matched by a salesperson, which is probably a little naive. In the meantime, I've found out that my boyfriend's cousin is a sales consultant at another nearby dealership, so maybe I'll try that one next time.

Another note on the actual test drive, since I keep swaying away from the topic; the seats were incredibly comfortable!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
I went to the Acura dealer on Sat., 04-26-08, with my '04 TSX to give them some "customer feedback" on grease marks on the A-Pillar (from an oil change)
Was it Leith?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Hi,
I also test drove an 09 5AT TSX Tech over the weekend and was very impressed. The handling was crisp and being a gadgety type person, I liked all the features in the tech package. I don't have an Acura now - I've been waiting for the new TSX to make the jump. The other thread that has a picture of the dard red TSX looks awesome, but in person, the color seemed to have more purple/plum tones than I expected. The paddle shifters were more intuitive than I had thought, but with the stereo on and how you are shielded from engine noise, it seemed that I had to remember to shift more than I thought I would. Maybe I was just distracted soaking in the TSX experience.

I've read that some of you don't like the addition of so many buttons and knobs in the 09 as compared with the older TSX's. My question is... In your experience with the TSX, how often do you use voice controls rather than using buttons? Is voice control something that you stop using after a few months when the novelty wears off, or do you use it often?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by TallGuyNW
I've read that some of you don't like the addition of so many buttons and knobs in the 09 as compared with the older TSX's. My question is... In your experience with the TSX, how often do you use voice controls rather than using buttons? Is voice control something that you stop using after a few months when the novelty wears off, or do you use it often?
I have an 04 TSX/navi. Other than going on trips I never use the voice commands. "Find Nearest Seaford" when driving through South Carolina is one of my favorites.

I would say that the voice control works better (by all reports) on later versions of the TSX navi software. Maybe someone with an 06 to 08 TSX can shed some light on that.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ReWritable
Exactly, people who recently bought their TSX (2007-2008) tend to write negative things about the new TSX -wonder why?? eventhough the new one is an updated version of the same car and engine with many more gadgets.. It's funny to read, though.
It's weird though, none of us 1st-gen TSX owners want the 2nd-gen owners to be disappointed with your choice, so that's not the reason you will see people expressing some concerns. I think what you are mistaking for bashing is other owners being concerned about the brand, its viability, its popularity and its image. It's like watching your alma mater slide in the rankings... it hurts!

Personally, I think the '09 TSX looks like it was an '08 that swallowed a Camry. And parts of it are still sticking in its teeth. Car and Driver said the back is one of the best it has seen from Acura, which makes me question what they thought was wrong with the current TL or the 1st-gen TSX. The interior looks good, but busy. My dad has an RL, and though it has a bunch of amazing features it is like gadget overload in there. Getting rid of the awesome, intuitive (so intuitive my grandmother likes it) touchscreen nav was a mistake.

But my biggest question about the new car is price. When did $32K become a good idea?? I got my '06 TSX w/Nav in 1/06 for $28,505 ($29,918 otd). I purchased it because it was most certainly the best bang for my buck, plus I loved it. Now it's starting to encroach in "Well, I could get XYZ for slightly more..." territory, and that's not good. Acura carved a niche with its well-priced, reliable, good-looking cars... take one and a half of those things away and you've got... I don't even know.

I know that new '09 owners will love their cars just like us 1st-geners love ours, so cheers!
-rpc
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Race Director

i think that 32K is a good deal still cause you got more goodies like backup camera, dvd audio, real time traffic, real time weather, more torque and more space, which is why the price went up.

i bet in a few months you could haggle and probably take 1-2k off the price. i would love to drive away in the 09 TSX with tech for only 30K.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
32K is a great deal considering the content. Your OTD price was after a discount which will also apply to 09's at some point. Not really apples to apples.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
32K is a great deal considering the content. Your OTD price was after a discount which will also apply to 09's at some point. Not really apples to apples.
You are comparing a negotiated price with an MSRP. To be fair, you have to compare both at MSRP. Considering that this is a new model with additional content, a $2k price increase in not completely unacceptable. The whole line is moving up in price, so this is to be expected anyway.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced

A Good Question

Originally Posted by rpcmx
When did $32K become a good idea?? I got my '06 TSX w/Nav in 1/06 for $28,505 ($29,918 otd). I purchased it because it was most certainly the best bang for my buck, plus I loved it. Now it's starting to encroach in "Well, I could get XYZ for slightly more..." territory, and that's not good. Acura carved a niche with its well-priced, reliable, good-looking cars... take one and a half of those things away and you've got... I don't even know.
When did $32,775 become a good idea?

Well, it is $400 less than the MRSP for a BMW 3 Series, but then again you can purchase a 3 for about two thousand less which apparently you cannot accomplish for an 09 TSX at the moment. BMW does not offer XM with Weather however, so any potential buyer should draw up a list for a comparison of their most important criteria. For example, XM with Weather vs. the sweetest sounding, naturally aspirated inline 6 known to man. Or, a backup camera vs. a perfectly balanced RWD sports sedan. Feel free to create your own list, and before long the answer will soon become clear.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Race Director

there you go, so much new technology for a reasonable price, plus you get a luxury brand name even though it's at the bottom of the barrel right now. who cares though? you spent your money wisely.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I think you missed his point.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
When did $32,775 become a good idea?

Well, it is $400 less than the MRSP for a BMW 3 Series, but then again you can purchase a 3 for about two thousand less which apparently you cannot accomplish for an 09 TSX at the moment.
Here's a BMW I built on their site:

My 328i Sedan
3.0-liter, inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $32,400
Montego Blue Metallic $475
Black Dakota Leather $0
Brushed Aluminum trim $0
Premium Package $3,250
iPod and USB adapter $400
Satellite radio $595
Destination & Handling: $775
Total MSRP as Built $37,895

This car still does not have Navigation or the back up camera. Personally I never would have selected Satellite radio since it doesn't work here, but to keep things fair......

Also, I didn't go with the sport package with the 17' wheels, so this car has 16's.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced

True, I am comparing MSRP with a negotiated price, but I got the first '06 sold out of that dealership ever, right after a pretty heavy refresh. It's not like they were pushing it at me. Plus, I had to drive more than 800 miles to get it. I just feel like what was a great deal now is only a good deal, that's all.

And also, yes, the whole line is moving up in price, but the point I was trying to get at is I just wish they wouldn't do that . I had an Audi before I got my Acura, and the price-point move for the same model priced it way outside of my budget when I was looking for a new car. I now work in campus life at a university, it's not like I get paid the big bucks... In my eyes, the difference isn't small. Still a good deal though .

Though your points are well taken, those are good enhancements. And well worth paying for. There's a few I will miss in my '06. But I'm very happy with my Acura, and I couldn't say that about my last car! ;-)

-rpc
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

got my test drive

I went to another dealership in the bay area and had a very good experience as opposed to at Pleasanton Acura. Sales guy was low-key, respectful, patient and informative. I checked out all the colors and went for a ride.

Have to say my favorite color for the new TSX is red. It really looks great. Overall I actually like the '09. It's just missing a little something I can't put my finger on but I might consider buying it -- next year I bought my '04 the first month it came out and the second year they always tend to resolve any minor issues I've found. That was the case with the '04.

My thoughts:
Interior is great, I like the layout better, the recessed nav screen, the leather seats are higher quality and leather seems more supple. Only thing I dislike is having the paddle shifters instead of the tip-tronic. Overall feel and quality seem like an improvement.

Exterior is a toss-up for me. I like the new design generally but don't like some of the details -- the grill, the rims are horrible, the tail lights are odd to me and remind me of a Camry... But the car is larger and the angles are nice to me.

If I buy the TSX I will look at the basque red and white since my '04 is black and I don't another black car! Too much work to clean
Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
Here's a BMW I built on their site:

My 328i Sedan
3.0-liter, inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $32,400
Montego Blue Metallic $475
Black Dakota Leather $0
Brushed Aluminum trim $0
Premium Package $3,250
iPod and USB adapter $400
Satellite radio $595
Destination & Handling: $775
Total MSRP as Built $37,895

This car still does not have Navigation or the back up camera. Personally I never would have selected Satellite radio since it doesn't work here, but to keep things fair......

Also, I didn't go with the sport package with the 17' wheels, so this car has 16's.
No question the TSX is better bang for the buck and far better value.

But what dollar figure can one put on RWD and an Inline 6? For some maybe nothing. For others, much more.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom

But what dollar figure can one put on a BMW badge? For some maybe nothing. For others, much more.
Fixed.

Most car buyers are not enthusiasts and care more about the image the car portrays than the powertrain IMO.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Fixed.

Most car buyers are not enthusiasts and care more about the image the car portrays than the powertrain IMO.

Agreed. But people who post here are NOT most car buyers. So can you really blame cg2006TSX for putting more value on engine specs and performance? And never mind the BMW badge. The same argument can be made with MB, Lexus and Infiniti.

I don't get why its ok to put a dollar figure on things like Nav and leather but not on the engine and platform?

Charge me 2k more for a V6. I have no need for leather and Nav etc. Come to think of it, the Canadian base TSX with no leather, HID's or fogs would be my almost perfect car at $34,900. ($32,900 + 2K for a V6).
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
Agreed. But people who post here are NOT most car buyers. So can you really blame cg2006TSX for putting more value on engine specs and performance? And never mind the BMW badge. The same argument can be made with MB, Lexus and Infiniti.

I don't get why its ok to put a dollar figure on things like Nav and leather but not on the engine and platform?

Charge me 2k more for a V6. I have no need for leather and Nav etc. Come to think of it, the Canadian base TSX with no leather, HID's or fogs would be my almost perfect car at $34,900. ($32,900 + 2K for a V6).
I absolutely agree that most people who post here are not representative of the average car buyer, but the way you phrased your comment indicated (at least to me) that you were talking about most people and not strictly car enthusiasts. I can see how one could justify paying a premium for a RWD, six-cylinder BMW versus the FWD, four-cylinder TSX, but people around here tend to sometimes see the cup as half empty and complain about what the TSX is not, instead of appreciating it for what it is.

The TSX is the most feature-laden, fuel-efficient sedan currently available in this segment. It is refined, handles well, and is pretty damn fun to drive. It will also likely be more reliable and offer better resale value than most of it's competition. Sure, a bit more power would be nice. For others, SH-AWD would be even better. I'm just glad it's an option in the marketplace. Not everyone wants and/or needs a bigger engine or RWD. Some people value prestige and at the limit performance while others put greater priority on technological integration/feature content and reliability/resale. To each their own.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jwaters943
but the way you phrased your comment indicated (at least to me) that you were talking about most people and not strictly car enthusiasts.
Originally Posted by dom
For some maybe nothing. For others, much more

I really do the see the cup as half empty. (I like that analogy BTW) This car has so much potential that IMO simply isn't being realized. Fill the other half with a V6/Turbo and then we have a full cup. I really don't see how this logic can be argued with considering most if not all of its competitors have engines options.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
I really don't see how this logic can be argued with considering most if not all of its competitors have engines options.
Hasn't Acura always maintained that BOTH the TSX & TL compete in the same segment? It's a bit unorthodox, but it explains the lack of an upper-level engine in the TSX. The TSX takes on the 328i, A4 2.OT, 9-3 2.OT, IS250, etc., while the TL takes on the 335i, A4 3.2, 9-3 Aero, IS350, etc. That is, unless the new TL moves upmarket slightly to take on the 528i/535i, A6 3.2, GS350, etc. This is possible since the refreshed RL is only a stop gap measure and the new one is supposed to be more of a true flagship along the lines of the LS460. I wouldn't be suprised to see the new TL surpass the RL in terms of horsepower, if not feature content (think back to the 2nd-gen TL which in many ways surpassed the 1st-gen RL).
Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I think thats the way Acura sees it yes. I just strongly disagree with the way they see it.

But by all accounts we'll see a V6 TSX at some point in the future so it appears as though they've heard the cries.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I think thats the way Acura sees it yes. I just strongly disagree with the way they see it.

But by all accounts we'll see a V6 TSX at some point in the future so it appears as though they've heard the cries.
Let's hope.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by dom

I wonder what hp the diesel will make for the 2010? V6 2011? 2012?

EuroAccord diesel spes. In US units that is 148 Hp @ 4000 RPM and 258 lb-ft of Torque @ 2000 RPM
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by prballard
I wonder what hp the diesel will make for the 2010? V6 2011? 2012?

EuroAccord diesel spes. In US units that is 148 Hp @ 4000 RPM and 258 lb-ft of Torque @ 2000 RPM
I heard 170-180 hp for the diesel here. Who knows. I can't wait to get it here, though.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I heard 170-180 hp for the diesel here. Who knows. I can't wait to get it here, though.
That would be great if the torque stays close to the same and hopefully fuel economy whould be better than 40mpg highway as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

But what dollar figure can one put on RWD and an Inline 6? For some maybe nothing. For others, much more.
I agree, but that wasn't my point. I was showing that the 3 series was not going to be anywhere close the the TSX price unless you sacrifice everything else for the 6 and RWD. That part is a personal decision, the part about the price is just facts and this is what i was addressing.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jwaters943...youmade a very good point. I think the 09 TSX is a well built cars and that has sufficient power to keep most driving conditions. I agree with most that would like more HP and torque in the TSX but hopefully, they will never make the TSX an all V6 as, I for one, am quite content with this 09 TSX improvement in torque. Ironically enough, I test drove a Lexus IS with a V6 and it felt much less 'peppier' and as ready to go than this 4 banger from Acura!! We have to be careful what we wish for here as there is no guarantee that a V6 would solve all the problems in the world...and what would happen if the V6 they brought in had "issues" or created other problems as torque steer, poor handling due to weight distribution or other things like that...Don't get me wrong, I am confident that Acura/Honda would not bring a bad engine or porr handling cars but if they somewhat messed up the design of their sheetmetal....who's to say that pushing the envelop may brings other problems? Food for thoughts BTW, the TSX looks much better than the RL and wait till you see the TL.....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced

A Dog Among Dogs

Originally Posted by 09TSX
BTW, the TSX looks much better than the RL and wait till you see the TL.....
09 TSX is a dog, joining that perennial dog known as the 09 RL, and the incoming TL is the dog of all dogs due to the fact that the outgoing model was such a groundbreaking design.

I predict Acura sales to tank another 20% on top of the 20% they are already down this year.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Racer

cg2006TSX...I agree, the designs in the early to mid 2000's were the best years Acura has ever seen!! The TL was just a work of art when it came out...I was considering getting an 08 just recently but the model has been out for so long now that I am ready for something newer. I think the TSX is going to be their best design out of their car lineup for sure....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Advanced

The IS Owns the TSX!

Ironically enough, I test drove a Lexus IS with a V6 and it felt much less 'peppier' and as ready to go than this 4 banger from Acura!
For the most part, IS250 buyers are buying the brand, Lexus, in place of performance. That said, the IS250 is great looking, well designed, and well worth the premium due to the strength of the Lexus brand, Lexus build quality, and Lexus service. The 09 TSX on the other hand is a poorly designed car and not worth the premium. An Accord is a much better value if the buyer refuses to consider brands other than Acura or Honda.

The IS 350 owns the TSX, and for that matter, the TL.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Racer

cg2006TSX...I agree that the IS250 does feel more luxurious but if you go back when this new IS was introduced, previous IS owner bashed the hell out of this design and new direction that Toyota pushed Lexus. I am certainly not disagreeing with any of your points, I think that all I was trying to say is that a V6 UNLESS PROPERLY introduced ina car may cause more harm than good. If you had a choice between the 09 TSX 4 cylinder engine that is currently in or the V6 in the IS250 as its feels and drives at this moment, which one you prefer? I think what made it so hard for me was I prefered the TSX drive over the Lexus but craved the more luxurious interior....(although a bit too crammed for my liking)...

I would have liked to see a push button start instead of that flip out key myself (IN ACURA)....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

cg2006TSX...I agree that the IS250 does feel more luxurious but if you go back when this new IS was introduced, previous IS owner bashed the hell out of this design and new direction that Toyota pushed Lexus. I am certainly not disagreeing with any of your points, I think that all I was trying to say is that a V6 UNLESS PROPERLY introduced ina car may cause more harm than good. If you had a choice between the 09 TSX 4 cylinder engine that is currently in or the V6 in the IS250 as its feels and drives at this moment, which one you prefer? I think what made it so hard for me was I prefered the TSX drive over the Lexus but craved the more luxurious interior....(although a bit too crammed for my liking)...

I would have liked to see a push button start instead of that flip out key myself (IN ACURA)....

I see what you're getting at, but that's not what everyone (most?) people have in mind.

They want the i4 for efficiency and a V6 or turbo i4 for power... which leaves the diesel as a toy for the extreme fuel efficiency.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Racer

just02...Thanks for the post. Good point and well taken....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
The 09 TSX on the other hand is a poorly designed car and not worth the premium.

Pretty bold assertion. Care to explain why? Have you even driven one?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Racer

dom....that deer in the headlight look might get you blinded with some good "bi-xenon" if you don't blink

Quick Reply: 2009 TSX Test Drive Opinions