2009 TSX Owners, cold weather, defective car, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TSX Owners, cold weather, defective car, please help

I need you guys to help me detect if my car is defective. Please tell if you have the same.

This is happening on cold weather like 45F and below, after the car is warm and climate control suppose to just keep the temp.

My left driver side front vent is blowing much colder air
then 2 bottom vents and passenger front right side. So 3 out 4 vents a blowing hot air and 1 vent is blowing much colder and much harder.

This is insane, because my legs are sweating and my upper body is cold.

I took it to a Acura service is he doesn't want to fix it, claiming that he checked everything and there is no Physical damage, so he saying that that is how Acura design the car.

I am so frustrating, just can't believe that they a saying that.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
This is working as designed. The idea is that the driver has cooler air blowing on their face in order to stay alert. You can close, or partially close, the driver side vent to control the amount of cold air.

Our BMW's have worked the the same way for years.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced

It doesn't make any sense, making driver, seat in cold so he will be alert. So let's just stick something cold in his ass while his is driving, that will keep him alert? Please do not say bs like that.

and by the way I tried to close this vent, but the air still blowing from all little wholes in the dashboard, and with 40F outside you can feel any cold air.
I even trying to put in manual mode and select Bottom Only, but it still blows from front side vents.

You know what I think that is? That Acura is trying to make me believe in any bs, but not admit that that is defect. I went to luxury brand so I will not have problems like this, and here I am totally screwed.

Last edited by bellorusha; 12-07-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It doesn't really sound right to me. Can you take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does not seem to do that, I only had her a week though!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Exactly, I told this to a lot of people and it doesn't sound right to ANYBODY, but apparently I have to spend a lot of time (a year already, 3rd time in a service) and energy to prove to Acura that this not right

Please 09 owners help me by checking your car for the same issue, I need to know for sure that it just my car, then I can go to a lawyer, tv, radio etc.. so I can start telling the whole world how Acura take care of their defects.

Last edited by bellorusha; 12-07-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by bellorusha
This is happening on cold weather like 45F and below, after the car is warm and climate control suppose to just keep the temp.

This is insane, because my legs are sweating and my upper body is cold.

I took it to a Acura service is he doesn't want to fix it, claiming that he checked everything and there is no Physical damage, so he saying that that is how Acura design the car.
From the bold type above, it looks like you're in Auto. I believe it is working as designed. Because your upper body is in the sun, theoretically, it will be warmer than your feet. To compensate for this, the system blowes cooler air through the top vents than through the bottom ones. This is a computerized version of the old "Bi-Level" settings we used to see in cars of the 80's and 90's.

Also, the climate control in a Navi equipped TSX is supposed to take data from the GPS and use this to compensate for solar heating. In other words, if you driving with the sun on the drivers side, you may get cooler air on this side vs. the passenger side.

I don't get temps as cold as you here (or I'd test my theory), but I wonder if taking the A/C system off of the 'Auto' setting will help?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Well, if one dealer won't try to fix it, get a second opinion. I would also call Acura directly:
http://www.acura.com/ClientServices.aspx
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Advanced

I just got a 2010 and will try to see if I notice anything. I do keep my car only around 64 though (with heat seats on low).
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced

what is the temp. setting on your A/C vs Outside temp? I would not mind trying to duplicate your issue. I have in the past had mine in auto set above 78 with the outside temp. below 45 degrees and had the same issue as you describe.

Last edited by wraith; 12-07-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
It doesn't make any sense, making driver, seat in cold so he will be alert. So let's just stick something cold in his ass while his is driving, that will keep him alert? Please do not say bs like that.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Try reading your owners manual, I think it gives info on how the climate control and other air conditioning controls work; it may provide you with some insight.
As for my car, when im cold, I usually just push "auto," then put the temperature to "hi," and put it to like 2 or 3 bars of strength. Once im warm I just put the temperature down to around 22 and put the strength down to 1 and leave it.
When I do this, warm air comes out of EVERY vent.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

THIS IS MY DEFECET:

does any1 find that even when the air is turned off, there is still air blowing through the vents?

I shouldn't have to close my vents to stop air that shouldn't be on....
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by C4n3s
THIS IS MY DEFECET:

does any1 find that even when the air is turned off, there is still air blowing through the vents?

Like any car out there including my 2004 TSX, as long as the car is moving, air will cycle through the car. Driving will force air in the climate control intake below the windshield and go through the vents. It is just not being blown.

From what it sounds like your car is not defective. Play with some settings and find out what you like. Good luck and if you do think it is defective don't stop at one dealer, keep trying.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
From the bold type above, it looks like you're in Auto. I believe it is working as designed. Because your upper body is in the sun, theoretically, it will be warmer than your feet. To compensate for this, the system blowes cooler air through the top vents than through the bottom ones. This is a computerized version of the old "Bi-Level" settings we used to see in cars of the 80's and 90's.

Also, the climate control in a Navi equipped TSX is supposed to take data from the GPS and use this to compensate for solar heating. In other words, if you driving with the sun on the drivers side, you may get cooler air on this side vs. the passenger side.

I don't get temps as cold as you here (or I'd test my theory), but I wonder if taking the A/C system off of the 'Auto' setting will help?
It is nice when you have the sun on your left and colder air is blowing to your upper body, but when there is NO SUN in cold winter day or where there is NO SUN at night, the colder air blowing from the vent is kind freezing you, and when you raise temperature it's starting to blow harder, colder air form the top vent and hot air from the bottom. So it's like top vent and bottom vent is fighting.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Mine does not seem to do that, I only had her a week though!
Can you please confirm what was the temperature outside and was the climate control set on Auto? and was the blowing air from both front vents was the same.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wraith
what is the temp. setting on your A/C vs Outside temp? I would not mind trying to duplicate your issue. I have in the past had mine in auto set above 78 with the outside temp. below 45 degrees and had the same issue as you describe.

The outside temp from 45F and below, and climate control set to Auto 72F.
if you can please try to duplicate, I really really need that. Thank you very much.

Also what do you mean you had this problem in the past?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C4n3s
THIS IS MY DEFECET:

You can press Recycling Air botton on you climate control and it will close all air to your car
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Ok. I went for a drive this morning and this is what it did. I started with 72F in auto, outside temp. was 48F. and everything went fine. So i started to play with all the settings on the a/c and this is what i found.... Auto at 82F... outside temp. was still 48F. and i got hot air from all vents drove with it like this for about 5-8 min. the inside got pretty warm, so i decided to turn down to 72F. That is when cooler air came from the driver left side vent only. The other vents blew cooler but not as cool as the left side. I wonder if on your car the air vent that lets the cooler air in may be stuck or slow to rotate.

And yes i have had my car do this before. I just never paid to much attention to it since i usually do not have that vent pointed at me. As far as i know it still does it to regulate the temperature that i have it set to in the car which is 68F-70F. I hope this helps. Have you thought of dropping you car off at the dealer and getting a loner car ( TSX ) and see if it does the same as yours?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wraith
Ok. I went for a drive this morning and this is what it did. I started with 72F in auto, outside temp. was 48F. and everything went fine. So i started to play with all the settings on the a/c and this is what i found.... Auto at 82F... outside temp. was still 48F. and i got hot air from all vents drove with it like this for about 5-8 min. the inside got pretty warm, so i decided to turn down to 72F. That is when cooler air came from the driver left side vent only. The other vents blew cooler but not as cool as the left side. I wonder if on your car the air vent that lets the cooler air in may be stuck or slow to rotate.

And yes i have had my car do this before. I just never paid to much attention to it since i usually do not have that vent pointed at me. As far as i know it still does it to regulate the temperature that i have it set to in the car which is 68F-70F. I hope this helps. Have you thought of dropping you car off at the dealer and getting a loner car ( TSX ) and see if it does the same as yours?

Thank you very much for doing that.

I just got back from the dealer, the temperature outside went up (my luck) so the heat wasn't really working (my luck), the climate control was trying to cool down the car and not heat it, but they still recorder 3 degrees differents between right and left side vents and refused to take the test again when it's cold, claiming that "...this is not a Bentley and just TSX"

I got the electronic thermometer for myself now and I will do the same test today at night.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

bellorusha, where are you located? I work at a dealer and haven't seen this come up yet and am very confused that another dealer would refuse to test something under the conditions of the guest complaint. Look at it from their point of view, you come in with a complaint that they can't duplicate becasue conditions are not present, they do all the standard tests and your car passed... other than keeping the car untill it gets colder out theres really not much more they can do. I would at the very least call acura client services and tell them about your dealer experience and I'm sure the dealer will call you back and get you in when the set conditions of your complaint are present. Not calling you a liar or anything but I highly doubt that someone at a dealer would tell you "this is not a bently and just tsx". A few comments like that at the dealer I work for and I'm sure that person would be out of a job.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobZahn
bellorusha, where are you located? I work at a dealer and haven't seen this come up yet and am very confused that another dealer would refuse to test something under the conditions of the guest complaint. Look at it from their point of view, you come in with a complaint that they can't duplicate becasue conditions are not present, they do all the standard tests and your car passed... other than keeping the car untill it gets colder out theres really not much more they can do. I would at the very least call acura client services and tell them about your dealer experience and I'm sure the dealer will call you back and get you in when the set conditions of your complaint are present. Not calling you a liar or anything but I highly doubt that someone at a dealer would tell you "this is not a bently and just tsx". A few comments like that at the dealer I work for and I'm sure that person would be out of a job.
What do you think I made that up?? lol.. the guys name is Anselmo and it is Acura of Brooklyn. I quoted him. Want another quote from him? After I asked him if I can bring the car in the evening time so he can record the temperature, when there is no sun, he said "We are Done here!", because I mentioned a lawyer. What do you want me to do here? beg for him to check my car?

want to hear more? Before the did temperature readings, when I saw that the car is on the sun side and it's getting hot inside (which means that they will not be able to dublicate the issue), I parked right across 2 line street, when the tech guy came to me, he said that he can't cross the street, there is a lot of traffic.... (I couln'd belive it, it's 2 way street).., that I have to put it on the sunny side right next to a dealer. Can you imaging that?

and yes I already called Acura and filled a complaint against him and tech guy.

Last edited by bellorusha; 12-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Advanced

And while we here, when he was pointing on my vent with a temp gun, the temperature was 78F for like 5-10 seconds, it jumped once for less the a second to 79.5F and he put that down as a temperature.

driver side - 79.5F
passenger side 82.5F

difference 3 degree

driver side - 78F
passenger side 82.5F

difference 4.5 degree

I still don't understand how is even 3 degree is normal?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

the colder air blowing from the vent is kind freezing you, and when you raise temperature it's starting to blow harder, colder air form the top vent and hot air from the bottom. So it's like top vent and bottom vent is fighting.
As I suggested, this is most likely how the system is designed to work. IMO, you should try it with the auto temp feature disabled. And/Or you can manually select "head" or "feet" to limit where the air is directed.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you arent imagining things. My 2009 TSX does it too.

However the good news is that you can over ride it. Hit the "AC" button and it will go off AUTO or just raise the fan speed or lower it. It will cancel Auto. Then hit MODE until your desired mode. You might have to hit AC to make the display show "AC OFF".

I believe its working as designed. Thats how its keeping the car at the climate controlled.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
As I suggested, this is most likely how the system is designed to work. IMO, you should try it with the auto temp feature disabled. And/Or you can manually select "head" or "feet" to limit where the air is directed.
I tried that pretty much nothing changes, and if I set to "feet olny" mode, it is still blowing from front side vents.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I tried that pretty much nothing changes, and if I set to "feet olny" mode, it is still blowing from front side vents.
That seems to be a different issue than what I was replying to. I was trying to help you match upper and lower temperatures, not limit air out of one vent only.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I still don't understand how is even 3 degree is normal?
From page 168 of the owner's manual:

In AUTO mode, the vehicle’s interior temperature is independently regulated for the driver and front passenger according to each adjusted temperature.

That's why there is a temperature difference.

As for why the side vent always blows:

Some air will flow from the dashboard vents in all modes.

That's from page 170 of the manual.

My suggestion is to make sure you don't have anything stuck in the temperature sensor. There's a little grate in the console under the steering wheel, near where you insert your key. That's the temperature sensor.

Also, as others have said, the sun sensor will sense which side the sun is on, and give the driver cooler air if the sun is on the driver's side.

Good luck.

Last edited by MrOtocinclus; 12-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Shocking Video

I got the thermometer and checked the temperature myself, and results are shocking.

Watch video on youtube in HD, so you will see all details.
YouTube Video

Is anybody still think it's normal and that is how Acura designed the car?