09 tsx base fans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 tsx base fans?

I'm thinking of buying the tsx 09 base. not really into the whole navi-thing, but interested in "entry/luxury" auto w/ other standard access. than other autos. gonna try to work at getting at invoice...my fallback was an 07 tsx w/ 30k offrd at ~$23k. what do u think?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the base, well they call it "premium", and love it. I knew for a fact that I wouldn't use the navi so I wasn't about to pay the few extra grand for it. Plus I have turn-by-turn GPS on my iPhone if I need it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
. . . Plus I have turn-by-turn GPS on my iPhone if I need it.
I have the iPhone also, but don't forget that it relies on a cellular connection for Google Maps to function. If you're out of the cell service area, you might not have turn-by-turn GPS.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
I am currently shopping for a new ride myself and the '09 TSX is very high on my list. The Tech package includes (right from Acura's site) and my comments:
  • Acura Navigation System with rearview camera and Traffic Rerouting™** - Navi would definitely come in handy, but I'm not sure how often I would use it. The rearview camera is a really neat feature but not 100% necessary for me.
  • Acura/ELS Surround® 415-watt Premium 10-speaker Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA and DTS® changer, and Dolby® Pro Logic® II - I have heard from some in another thread I created that they can't really tell a big difference with most media; I will test it out myself and see what I think.
  • AcuraLink® satellite communication system with Real-Time Traffic and Weather† - Neat feature for sure.
  • Voice Recognition system - I've never found a system that works great so I don't care about this.
  • GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system** - Don't need this at all.
  • Note Function for XM® - VERY cool feature, and I am always finding new music via XM
  • Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface with phone book exchange - I'm happy just w/ the regular BT but this is definitely a cool feature.
  • Automated Appointments™ - Don't really care too much about this.
I'm a total gadget guy and love technology, but as you can see by the above, my practical side is finding it hard justifying the $3100+ for many features I will not use.

I do think the Tech dash looks much better, and I do think that a car of this caliber should have these features to "complete" it. But again, the added cost (and then paying 6% tax here in PA on top of that yet), I dunno...
Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 PM
10th Gear

Get the base model. I was just bought my TSX base model last week and love it.

For the past month I was struggling trying to decide between the two trims. I really liked the way the Tech package has the color screen and then the small strip screen below. But when looking at the price of the tech package, I finally decided to get the base. It has everything minus the voice command, nav and rear view camera.

The base model has a lot of cool things as well and even has voice command bluetooth for phone calling. It also has ipod interface on the screen. Save yourself that 3,100 and go with the base
Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

For comparison purposes from Edmunds (I don't believe the prices include destination, though):

Base MSRP $28,960
Tech MSRP $32,060

Base Invoice $26,621
Tech Invoice $29,464
Old 11-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mtbrown75
Get the base model. I was just bought my TSX base model last week and love it.

For the past month I was struggling trying to decide between the two trims. I really liked the way the Tech package has the color screen and then the small strip screen below. But when looking at the price of the tech package, I finally decided to get the base. It has everything minus the voice command, nav and rear view camera.

The base model has a lot of cool things as well and even has voice command bluetooth for phone calling. It also has ipod interface on the screen. Save yourself that 3,100 and go with the base
One more thing: doesn't the Base have a single in-dash CD player vs. the Tech's 6-disc in-dash? I'm not 100% sure but I do recall reading that somewhere.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ESHBG
One more thing: doesn't the Base have a single in-dash CD player vs. the Tech's 6-disc in-dash? I'm not 100% sure but I do recall reading that somewhere.
yup.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
4th Gear

can anyone post pics of the base dashboard? haven't seen and only test drove navi....thx!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

What's funny is one of my local Acura dealerships is advertising an '09 Base TSX. When they list all that it includes, they have "CD Changer" as the last item LOL
Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yeah but I have yet to even put a CD in my car. I plug my iPhone in every time and have my whole playlist available.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

I wish the base model hadn't put anything in that dash cubby hole so that you could set a portable nav there without obstructing that display.

One great thing about the tech package that goes overlooked is the backup camera. If you live in the city and have to park in tight spaces a lot then it's awesome.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I bought the Base '09 TSX and love it... sure it doesn't have all the cool gadgets of the Tech but in the long run I didn't need them...

Navigation - I have a Garmin AND Sprint Nav on my Samsung Instinct

ELS stereo w/CD-changer - The center channel is really cool and DVD-A is nice but to me not a must have. As for the CD Changer, obsolete to me. If I'm not listen to XM radio then I'm listen to my iPod via USB connection.

Rear Camera - A neat feature but if you really need help parking you can get the parking sensors.

Voice Control - This is neat but not I don't see myself really using this much.

AcuraLink w/Traffic n Weather - Not needed plus have realtime weather and traffic on my phone.

The other tech features - See above.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Note Function for XM® - VERY cool feature, and I am always finding new music via XM

Well cross another benefit of the Tech pkg. off of my list for me, as we discovered that the recent XM/Sirius merger eliminated almost all of my/our favorite stations and we may now be dropping XM.

I am looking at it all like this I think: If I were to go w/ an Accord coupe, I would definitely get the Navi because it includes BT, makes the dash look 100 times better IMO and does not add a whole lot to the total cost of the car in the grand scheme of things. With the TSX, the price is definitely much steeper and with all that Acura includes right out of the gate, it makes it not as necessary.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
ELS stereo w/CD-changer - The center channel is really cool and DVD-A is nice but to me not a must have. As for the CD Changer, obsolete to me. If I'm not listen to XM radio then I'm listen to my iPod via USB connection.

Rear Camera - A neat feature but if you really need help parking you can get the parking sensors.

AcuraLink w/Traffic n Weather - Not needed plus have realtime weather and traffic on my phone.
I agree with most of that but the nice thing about having redundancy in the car is that you can forget your phone or navi - two things which you shouldn't leave in your car - and not be out of luck. I can understand it not being worth $3,500 extra though. There's also something to be said for having the premium trim level, it might make the car more desirable on the used car market.

I actualy do need help parking, I'm having sensors put on the front as part of the deal. I have pretty good spacial orientation but for some reason I always assume the car is a foot longer than it really is and I can't seem to help it. It doesn't help that the new hood isn't as sloped as the old.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by padre40
can anyone post pics of the base dashboard? haven't seen and only test drove navi....thx!
Here are pics of the inside of my Base TSX

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wackura
There's also something to be said for having the premium trim level, it might make the car more desirable on the used car market.
Actually, market conditions usually indicate that these features make a car depreciate faster and make it worth less in the long run. That has to do with:

A) Technology that quickly becomes outdated, especially in the Nav's case...no expensive DVD upgrade, no updates. And that is just best case scenario, as something could pop up that makes the current systems as we know them not as desirable.
B) The total cost of the options up front factored in long-term w/ depreciation = a bigger hit on paper.
C) Technology can still be considered a niche market. How many people do you know will pass on a more expensive car if they feel it has things they don't want or need and go for the cheaper, and in their heads, better deal? I would say that it is true that you will have better luck w/ people already shopping in the Acura category, but...

Here's a pretty cool article I posted in a related thread in the TL forums:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...t_N.htm?csp=34

Built-in navigation systems increase the depreciation of a car or truck, a startling fact that has some car companies rethinking their approach to the $2,000 factory-installed systems.

"Navigation could be like cellphones built into cars in the '70s and '80s; those big, blocky phones that nobody has now. Everybody has a small, personal cellphone," says John Krafcik, vice president for product development at Hyundai Motor America.
After three years of normal service, a 2007 Acura TSX with automatic transmission should be worth 55% of its original purchase price. After three years, the same car with navigation is worth 53% of its original price. The navigation system that added $2,000 to the new price makes the used car worth only $600 more than a non-navigation car.
Navigation system
No navigation system
New price
$30,760
$28,760
3-yr. Resale value
$16,400
$15,800
Source: Automotive Lease Guide

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/dillemma-lifetime-694908/

Last edited by ESHBG; 11-16-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mtbrown75
Here are pics of the inside of my Base TSX

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Thanks, mtbrown! While I still do like the Tech's dash slightly better, it is definitely no where near as drastic as Honda's Navi/non-Navi dashes. Also, it's interesting to see that w/ the Tech, you completely lose the big storage pocket.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

That's sort of misleading. The article even mentions the TSX by name, showing that $2,000 nav only improved they value of a used TSX by $600, and so the depreciation was more rapid but the car was still worth more, and I as the original owner received intrinsic benefit from the nav so it's not like I lost $1,400 and gained nothing in return. The idea that a $2000 nav will make a used car worth $2000 more is immediately unreasonable. Some degree of hit should always be expected.

I don't buy the idea that new technology will make the current technology undesirable within a time frame that's relevant - about four years. I don't think an automated map that comes built into the dash will become a detriment within the next four years. New roads aren't paved that often and the pros of the portable nav are somewhat negated by the convenience and ever-presence of the built in nav.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
I bought the Base '09 TSX and love it... sure it doesn't have all the cool gadgets of the Tech but in the long run I didn't need them...

Navigation - I have a Garmin AND Sprint Nav on my Samsung Instinct

Voice Control - This is neat but not I don't see myself really using this much.

The other tech features - See above.
I had GPS in my LG Dare with real time traffic with automatic traffic rerouting if it sees traffic congestion but in some areas like i went to East bay the coverage just disappeared. Screen is too small so u cannot see the big and small picture simultaneously(very slow zoom function, slow map loadings). and forget about Blue tooth music streaming/phone calls. Cellulllar phone is just for extra redundancy not for substitute for main stream navigation system which is located at right place for the eye. if i have to invest 30K on car i need full convience.