Wheels/Tires for DUMMIES!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels/Tires for DUMMIES!

Hey guys! Need a little help from some ppl willing to excuse my very limited (to none) knowledge of this subject.... (if you can't contribute, no need to reply)

I have a 2003 3.2TL Type-S Agean Blue Pearl....

I am about to buy some new tires and and I think this is a great opportunity to buy rims. I am in college and work so my budget is limited so I have chosen to buy them from...

Dont laugh at me please...Lol (SEARS). I have a lil credit with them which will ease the blow from my wallet! Anyways, this is the situation: I don't plan on modifying my car in ANY way in the near future bc 1) I dont have the money to put into it, 2) I dont know ANYTHING about car mods and 3) Im still learning about car mods...

With that being said, I have been looking at the rims on the website...

(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...+Wheels_Chrome)

and reading what you guys write on here for a lil over a month now when I get spare time! I have picked up on some things and others still confuse me!

The Point:

[IMG][/IMG]THESE are my favorite... 18 x 8.5, +20mm offset

Before you rip me a new one, YES I have read what you all write about such a low offest (especially since I dont plan to make ANY mods to the car ANYTIME soon) but...

From what I understand, (and I could be WAY off) the offset is how far out the tire and wheel stick out from the actual car???

With that being said, I dont mind it sticking out a bit, but I do not want half of the wheel out from the car...

Below are a couple of pics that I have gathered from this site of generally what I kinda want my car to look like with the rims on it....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

PLEASE offer me some advice...and if your bored, u can look on SEARS website and tell me which rims I have the option of getting...(really appreciated)

TIRE info too will help bc I have no clue....THANKS guys!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You cannot put those wheels are your TL period. That width and that low of offset is just not doable. Look at other rims, try some that aren't as flashy and stick to at least:

7.5-8 inch wide with at least a +42 offset.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
4th Gear

I figured as much....

But looking at the last two pics of the same car that I posted above, that car doesnt look like it was dropped and all that other stuff right????

What size rims would you say those were on it???
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

What about these....

[IMG][/IMG]

They are 18 x 7, +40mm...
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM

The wheels on the cars above look like 20s and they look incredibly stupid. Next to none of the members here will say that going over 19 inch rims looks good, and chrome "dub" rims like those on TLs look TERRIBLE. I looked at some of the other rims on that sears site and I don't even believe they carry the right bolt pattern which for us is 5 x 114.3
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by JusJey85
What about these....

[IMG][/IMG]

They are 18 x 7, +40mm...
Those would fit fine I believe, if they're the right bolt pattern
Old 02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
The wheels on the cars above look like 20s and they look incredibly stupid. Next to none of the members here will say that going over 19 inch rims looks good, and chrome "dub" rims like those on TLs look TERRIBLE. I looked at some of the other rims on that sears site and I don't even believe they carry the right bolt pattern which for us is 5 x 114.3
everything he said..