What does it mean to "roll the fenders"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
The Talk of New York

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does it mean to "roll the fenders"?

I've heard that expression used quite alot on this forum, where people get new rims and a drop, and then they start to "rub" and gotta "roll the fenders"

what the hell is rubbing against what, and what's it mean to roll the fenders?

it would be very helpful if you could provide a before and after pic, just to help me understand better.

Also, the reason I'm asking these questions is because I wanna get a new set of rims this summer, and might possibly get a drop, depending on if I have the money for it, so I just wanted to know if I'll be messing anything up by getting a drop with new rims..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Rubbing usually occurs when someone puts really wide tires on their car and/or their rims don't have the ideal offset. The sidewall will rub up against the inside of the fender, or the car bottoms out and the tire hits the top of the fender.

Rolling the fenders (the proper way) involves using a machine that mounts itself against a suspension component, and then pushes against the inside lip of the fender, causing the fenders to protrude outwards, thus providing more room for the rims/tires when they travel, and therefore, hopefully reducing the chances of rubbing or eliminating altogether. Most people only roll the rear fenders; take note of them in the pics. Another thing you can do to prevent rubbing is to cut the tabs. They're these small, body-colored pieces that protrude out from the bottom of the fender.

It's not really noticeable visually.

Before fender rolling
Name:  MyTL-Sbackleft.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  97.1 KB

After fender rolling
Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM
The Talk of New York

ok, thanks for the explaination, I guess I now know what it means to roll the fenders.

But I now have a few questions, I am planning on getting the 18 inch Zyoxx ZX8 rims, so what would be the proper offset that I would need to get, and also the proper offset for the tires?

Also, how much of drop can I do without having any rubbing issues and without having to roll my fenders?

btw, those are the zyoxx zx8 in the first pic
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I suggest you read some of the threadson correct wheel and tire size in the tire wheels subforum. There is all teh info you can imagine there. The best info we can tell you is stay as close to factory offset as possible. (which is +55)
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
And this is rolling fenders
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/index.html
Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 AM
III
prototype

i roll fenders with my louisville wooden baseball bat... on every car i've had and we do friends ones too. in case you dont wanna buy a fender roller... it's free but you gotta take your time with it or else it'll crease/paint may crack/the fenders will be wavy. i got the technique down now tho haha :p