Want to install adjustable coilovers...heeeeellllppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Want to install adjustable coilovers...heeeeellllppp!!!

I have a 2003 tl type s. its in great condition. I love this car. dark metallic green with the 5 spoke alloys with tan leather interior. I recently purchased some adjustable coilovers for my car and was wondering if anyone knew how to install them. ive read a lot about the coilovers and they seem to perform quite well, plus dropping my car about an 1 1/2 would make it look beast.

if anyone knows how to install these please fill me in. or better yet if someone wants to make a couple of bucks and has experience in this install please let me know.

im in the south east side of san Antonio and would like to get these out of my house and on my car.

heeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppp!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
There's a whole thread on how to install it, You will find the "2G TL DIY thread".
Coilovers for a 1/12" drop is not worth it. Should have just bought springs+shocks.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
There's a whole thread on how to install it, You will find the "2G TL DIY thread".
Coilovers for a 1/12" drop is not worth it. Should have just bought springs+shocks.
Suspension isn't just about the drop, its much more than that. Depending what kind of coilovers the OP bought they can be dampening adjustable and if he doesn't like the height he can go lower or higher... two things that u can't do with most shock/spring combos. Btw OP if you aren't mechanically inclined id pay a shop to get it done because its a big job to instal suspension for somebody that doesn't know what they're doing. Around my way here in jersey they charge about $80 to install 1 piece coilovers.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
^ Some of use ride Springs + Adjustable Shocks and besides that we cant adjust height, it Works better than Most cheapo -600 coilovers since they dont work right when fully lowered (CHEAP)..

To OP Spring + Adjustable Shock is where is at unless you are paying +1000 bucks for the coilover.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Skirmich
^ Some of use ride Springs + Adjustable Shocks and besides that we cant adjust height, it Works better than Most cheapo -600 coilovers since they dont work right when fully lowered (CHEAP)..

To OP Spring + Adjustable Shock is where is at unless you are paying +1000 bucks for the coilover.
K sport, D2, Form & Function Type ll, etc these are all coilovers under $1000 and are not "cheapo" at all and fully adjustable and name brand. You can't compare any adjustable shocks to these coilover systems i named unless you bring up koni yellows which cost $600 just for the shocks alone. If you think you need to pay over $900 for a quality, reliable set of coilovers then you are looking in the wrong place.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You mention FF type 2 like it was good.. FF type 1 rides like shit and FF 2 is no different unless you set it on the softest setting and still the ride is bumpy.

Perhaps I wasnt clear.. All cheapo coilovers ride like shit.. I could care less about the build quality, if they ride so bad they are all bad period even if they were made from gold and silver..

Get an expensive set and they will ride as good as OEM if not better while lowered.. or Get Spring + Adjustable shock which will outperform a cheapo coilover set and that includes FF Type 2.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
lol..

damper adjustable.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Pro

You mention FF type 2 like it was good.. FF type 1 rides like shit and FF 2 is no different unless you set it on the softest setting and still the ride is bumpy.

Perhaps I wasnt clear.. All cheapo coilovers ride like shit.. I could care less about the build quality, if they ride so bad they are all bad period even if they were made from gold and silver..

Get an expensive set and they will ride as good as OEM if not better while lowered.. or Get Spring + Adjustable shock which will outperform a cheapo coilover set and that includes FF Type 2.
Have you even done your researched and read up on all the improvements that were made on the FF type 2? Yes FF type 1 is no good but then again they cost $300 less than type 2 which is not only a big difference in price but you get what u pay for. Trust me I've owned them for the past 3 years and have had no issues and i love how they ride so these aren't ignorant comments or something i heard from somebody else. I think you're more caught up in the price rather than the product, i spent $850 on my Form and Functions and I've had K sport before. Id love to hear what spring and shock combo is better than K sports or D2 or FF type 2...?

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 01-13-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Pro

By the way I've also owned Eibach sport line springs with KYB AGX shocks and they didn't nearly ride as good as my coilovers. Plus when the winter came with the snow here on the east coast i obviously couldn't adjust the height to compensate for the weather because they weren't adjustable which sucked ass... needless to say that was the last time i go cheap on suspension and buy springs and shocks when i can buy 1 peace name brand that rides better.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

you're REALLY gonna sit there and recommend springs and shocks over a set of $800 coilovers? You're nuts man i can tell you've never had REAL suspension in your life.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by SlammedTL-S
you're REALLY gonna sit there and recommend springs and shocks over a set of $800 coilovers? You're nuts man i can tell you've never had REAL suspension in your life.
$800 coilovers??? lol, like k sports and teins??? IIRC Teins barely made good coilovers for our cars, but for $800 you might as well get a real setup.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KW-Suspension-Variant-1-One-Coilover-Kit-98-02-Honda-Accord-Sedan-10250006-/151193259742?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2333d20ede&vxp=mtr
Springs and shocks can perform well depending on what you get.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
guys..

the real question before anything else is your purpose for lowering..

if you're just wanting aesthetics and dont care for any cornering.. go for any cheap, randomly put together $800 coilover kit.. same goes for you "I want dat slammm bruuu" people...

maybe you want to feel a little better about yourself.. then go up to $1000~ range

on the other hand.. if i wanted something that would out perform those.. i'd do some personal research on every option that's available for the particular car and put together something or buy something that will fit to my needs..

im running $1600~ coilovers on my car right now and out performed the shitty BC Racing coilovers I had previously... piece of crap always bottomed out even with the damper set to full stiff vs right now with full soft

and then on the other hand, got some 2nd hand Koni yellows set to full soft all around and springs that out performs those 30 something damper adjustable full threaded shock body etc etc coilovers out there..

but in the end.. it's all what you feel is right for your needs to your car.

also.. not sure why you guys are bickering about this shit in this thread.. he's just asking for help on install...
The following users liked this post:
HairyMonkey019 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
$800 coilovers??? lol, like k sports and teins??? IIRC Teins barely made good coilovers for our cars, but for $800 you might as well get a real setup.
KW Suspension Variant 1 One coilover Kit 98 02 Honda Accord Sedan 10250006 | eBay

Springs and shocks can perform well depending on what you get.
Exactly, my point being that its possible to get a good set of 1 piece coils for under a grand. Welp i love my coilovers like i said never had an issue in 3 years rides great and i paid exactly $850 for them, couldnt be happier. I will definitely never go back to the spring and shock combo unless it involves koni yellows and ground control coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
jdelima87 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
5th Gear

I have FF Type 2's on my 01 TL and they are the best coilovers I've had, no complaints over here, and for the price you can't even be mad..I'm low, about a 1 finger gap all around...the adjustable dampener is a plus, I have mine set in the middle (16, 32 way adjustable) and I can go softer if I want. But the ride is great....
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

Great thanks for y'all's help...pssssh
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
By the way I've also owned Eibach sport line springs with KYB AGX shocks and they didn't nearly ride as good as my coilovers. Plus when the winter came with the snow here on the east coast i obviously couldn't adjust the height to compensate for the weather because they weren't adjustable which sucked ass... needless to say that was the last time i go cheap on suspension and buy springs and shocks when i can buy 1 peace name brand that rides better.
comparing stock replacement shocks to coilovers

Also be careful with coilovers in climates like you are in. I along with many others i know have had issues after a winter or 2 being able to adjust them anymore from corrosion to the threaded collar or damage to them from sand/salt etc.. (and im not talking le-cheapo ones either, Units from Tien, Cobbs to FF) and And unless you plan on driving off road, i have never found a reason to have to have my car raised up in the winter.

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
Have you even done your researched and read up on all the improvements that were made on the FF type 2? Yes FF type 1 is no good but then again they cost $300 less than type 2 which is not only a big difference in price but you get what u pay for. Trust me I've owned them for the past 3 years and have had no issues and i love how they ride so these aren't ignorant comments or something i heard from somebody else. I think you're more caught up in the price rather than the product, i spent $850 on my Form and Functions and I've had K sport before. Id love to hear what spring and shock combo is better than K sports or D2 or FF type 2...?
Koni Yellow and H&R sport springs. That combo can be had for about 600 new. It will ride far better than any coilover available for our car and are better overall plus come with a lifetime warranty and can be easily revalved to help tailor them even more.

Also if you can get your hands on them, the Neuspeed Sp3 shocks are Koni shocks and have far more height adjustability than the standard Konis do

Last edited by fsttyms1; 01-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
01DEPTL (06-24-2014), justnspace (01-23-2014)