Tires + Suspension Questions (Budget Setup)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires + Suspension Questions (Budget Setup)

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum.
So I'm trying to come up with a hypothetical setup for my TL surrounding tires and suspension. I'm pretty new to the car scene so go easy on me if I sound uncultured.

The tires that I'm looking at are Enkei EDR9 with 17x8 (+45) fronts and 17x7 (+45) rears. Would having wider tires at the front reduce under-steer and improve handling or should all wheels be squared up? Will I being rubbing against the fenders if I'm going 8 inches wide with an offset of +45? From doing a little research, some have been saying on other forums that wider fronts and smaller rears will create over-steer and to correct it, adjusting suspension will be needed; so that brings me to suspension.

I'm on TEIN coilovers and adjusted both equally to a two finger height (using fingers to measure height is stupid, I only; so from what point to point would I use to measure the tide height?). I've read somewhere that having a "reverse rake" (higher front - lower rear) would help improve handling and replace weight from the front to the back. So my question is, how should my suspension be setup, high-front/low-rear or low-front/high-rear?

IDK if anyone even post on these forums since every post I've seen was posted in the early 2000's but any help would be much appreciated!
Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,413 Posts
For starters, Enkei doesn't make tires, they make wheels, and moving to 8" wide wheels won't do diddly to your ride and handling if you use the same size tires as on the 7" wide wheels.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi Khang, welcome. Are you aiming more towards the performance/handling side of the car? Because if you are, good luck haha. Our cars are basically land boats; heavy and awkwardly long. Your question about having a high front and low rear will look weird, and I doubt it will have any noticeable performance/handling effect for the car. For your question about rubbing and fitment, I'm running the 18x8 (+45 offset) Aspec wheels from the 3rd Gen TL, wrapped with 225/40/18 Falken tires, and lowered on coilovers. Two finger gap as well. They slightly rubbed on the front fender liners, but after shaving, they don't rub. It also depends how low you are. I'm not low at all, so I don't have to worry about rubbing issues.

Have you thought about getting 18s? 17s seem a little small for the TL. Just my