Tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought Yoko's and I'm not at all happy with them. Great handling and grip but at 23,000 miles they are worn out. The original Michelins had 55,000 on them when I replaced em. The original Michs were quiet, the car held the road much better on the highway and the ride was incredibly soft. The Yoko's are very very noisy and the car on the highway doesn't hold the road nearly as well. They don't squeal going around corners and they handle much much better on curves, but I'd rather have the longer lasting Michs. Trying to decide what to buy again. Guess it's all a trade off from one tire to another. The Yoko's are really noisy. That's my biggest complaint.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sold my Michelin Pilot Sports because they were too wide...

i went with the Falken FK452's and i LOVE THEM.....GOBS of grip and low tire noise, as a plus, they look so nice tooo.....
Old 05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke7
I bought Yoko's and I'm not at all happy with them. Great handling and grip but at 23,000 miles they are worn out. The original Michelins had 55,000 on them when I replaced em. The original Michs were quiet, the car held the road much better on the highway and the ride was incredibly soft. The Yoko's are very very noisy and the car on the highway doesn't hold the road nearly as well. They don't squeal going around corners and they handle much much better on curves, but I'd rather have the longer lasting Michs. Trying to decide what to buy again. Guess it's all a trade off from one tire to another. The Yoko's are really noisy. That's my biggest complaint.
the yoko's are getting rave reviews on 101tires
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Instructor

I wonder if Yoko changed something somewhat recently on their Avids? At least one other poster and myself have vibration/shaking issues at higher speeds, yet they are as quiet (or more so) as the OEM Michelin's. The ride is definitely stiffer/more harsh, but that is b/c the OEM tire is a touring tire and the Avid V4 is more of a performance tire. I personally prefer the softer ride, but didn't know the V4 would be as stiff as it is before I bought 'em. If I can't get the vibration addressed, I may just suck it up and buy another set of tires (not Yokos). Hopefully I'll have time to address it next week.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Cruiser

Has anyone heard anything on the Toyo Versado LX?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by antlive
I was looking at these. The get a good rating at consumer reports but not on tirerack.

Anyone have these and what is your opinion?
Any one have what?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Any one have what?
The proxies 4
Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Tires.....

As long as we are on the subject, I am going to be replacing my wheels and I want to go to 215/45-17 (this keeps tire prices somewhat reasonable). Which tire would be the best in a hot climate, no snow, but will have rain (to go with slick roads)? I go to the Tire Rack, but all those ratings and tests....Arghhhh. Can't tell when people are telling the truth or not.

You guys on here drive the same car I do and this is advice I trust.... Any suggestions?

(and if I am hijacking the thread, let me know and I'll create another one)

I'll purchase the wheels soon and have pictures.....Maybe my HMM mud flaps will go on the market.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Instructor

I'm in the same boat as merkin. I'm up in washington and have to deal with as much wet road as i do dry. Snow isn't very common but hydroplaning is a concern. I'm going to be needing some 18's and need to find a good tire for them.

I'm mostly worried about comfort, ability to handle wet roads, and longevity. I'm under the impression that just about any tire that is for an oversized rim is made for performance so im not worried about that aspect of the tire. I'm not looking to spend a bunch on the tires so i want to find the best value for the attributes that i want.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:09 AM

I replaced the original Michelins (they had 55,000 miles on them) with Yoko Avids and was happy with them in some ways but not in others.
Michelins=Much Much Much quieter on the highway, softer ride and better mileage. They Squeal like a pig on curves and turns at very low speeds. Lousy handling on winding roads. The roads here in Western NC would test any tire as far as how it handles.
Yoko's=Much Much Much noisier on the highway. Much better grip and handling on curves and turns. Have never heard them squeal. No on center feel on the highway compared to the Michelins. Not as soft a ride as the Michs. They are just about worn out with only 24,000 miles on them.
I wouldn't buy them again. Am considering going back to the Michelins just for the nicer highway ride and quietness!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 AM
5th Gear

Help me out too, I'm in WA as well

I need new tires badly too and I want something that is good for Seattle. I'm at 46k mileage on my '03 TL-S.

I was getting on a highway after a fresh rain when I skidded out and almost hit the guard railing, over corrected and almost hit a parked State Patrol car on the shoulder!! The officer was looking down and didn't see me almost hit him.

I want to spend < $600 (I'll splurge if there's something really sexy) but my main concerns are durability and traction for when it rains (so I don't hit the police). Help me out guys!

-Steve
Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kurlan
I need new tires badly too and I want something that is good for Seattle. I'm at 46k mileage on my '03 TL-S.

I was getting on a highway after a fresh rain when I skidded out and almost hit the guard railing, over corrected and almost hit a parked State Patrol car on the shoulder!! The officer was looking down and didn't see me almost hit him.

I want to spend < $600 (I'll splurge if there's something really sexy) but my main concerns are durability and traction for when it rains (so I don't hit the police). Help me out guys!

-Steve
Do you have stock rims?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
how about the RE750 or the AVS ES100 or the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position or the Continental ContiExtremeContact or the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S or the Sumitomo HTR+
I just picked up a set of Potenza RE960ASs at the Tire Rack...

$141 per corner, with a $75 "rebate" (actually, it's a loaded Amex debit card)...

The Amex deal is good until the end of the month...

End user reviews look very positive...

I am hoping for much better mileage than the stocks... I only got 15,500 from my stock tires
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Instructor

If I can't get the vibration issues fixed with my Yoko Avid's, I may have to check out the Potenza's. So far, I am not happy at all with the Yoko's.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 AM
RAEUVSUNSHINE

Michellin is the the only way to go......

I just put the 90,000 mile warranty Michellin 245/45/17 on my car which is a bit wider than any previous suggestion and these tires are so smooth and handle the road excellent. Since I drive 50,000 miles a year for my job I needed them to last as well as be dependable, well worth the money.

Roads with lots of sharp corners are now my favorite, what a thrill!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 AM

I just replaced my Yokohama Avid V4's with the Michelins=MXV4-V rated and I'm in agreement with Raeuvsunshine. They YOKO"S only lasted 25,000 miles. I got 55,000 out of the first (original) Michelins. The Michelins don't handle quite as wll on curves but I wanted a tire that would last longer then the Yoko's. The Michelins are very smooth and quiet. Much nicer highway ride. Like floating on air compared to the Yoko's. I paid $490 for the Yokos and $660 for the Michelins. I had the Michelins ordered and installed at Sam's club.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sb65
I wonder if Yoko changed something somewhat recently on their Avids? At least one other poster and myself have vibration/shaking issues at higher speeds, yet they are as quiet (or more so) as the OEM Michelin's. The ride is definitely stiffer/more harsh, but that is b/c the OEM tire is a touring tire and the Avid V4 is more of a performance tire. I personally prefer the softer ride, but didn't know the V4 would be as stiff as it is before I bought 'em. If I can't get the vibration addressed, I may just suck it up and buy another set of tires (not Yokos). Hopefully I'll have time to address it next week.
I had the same problem on my Yokos. I had them rebalanced at another dealer and they turned out fine. I found out that the Tire dealership that installed my Yokos had balancing equipment problems. Even though I took the car back and complained, they didn't offer to rebalance them. They lost my business forever. So you might try getting them balanced somewhere else. Ask them to spin a few of the tires on the car as they are right now=weights and all too see if they are out of balance before they remove the weights and rebalance them. Balancing equipment does NOT always work correctly. I've had this problem with several tire dealerships. After I had the tires balanced somewhere else they were fine. Wor th a try.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I have been meaning to bring it to another shop to let them have a go at balancing, but have not had time (extremely busy lately). Hopefully I can get to it in the next couple of weeks. I'll update after I do. It SUCKS since I have been going on road trips (2.5+ hrs away) every weekend and have another (4 hrs) this weekend ....