Springs or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs or coilovers?

Alright well i'm kinda new to azine and this is my first thread but i was wondering if there was any difference between the 2 in comfort? i know coilovers are adjustable but i'm looking to lower my car, yet keep the smooth ride of stock. you guys have any suggestions as to which one i should go for and which brands? thanks
Old 12-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
if you're looking for only a drop, I say go with springs. I'm looking at the two myself, and coils are MUCH more expensive. the adjustability is great, but i'm willing to risk a few inches for ride comfort.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:49 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please search
this has been covered multiple times.

btw want to show off that front grill of yours?
Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember that if you get lowering springs only that you'll still be using the "long" stock shocks. To do it right, get shocks to match or coilovers.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Coilovers are the way to go, the Tein SS are supposed to be pretty close to a stock ride. If you're not a complete pansy though go with KSport, they are a lot firmer but the car is less likely to bottom out. Not to say I haven't had my car bottom out, but it's been like one or two times in the 4 months I've had them on the car.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 PM

putting on my k-sports today

k-sport is better coilover for the $ vs. the Tein ss, i have both...i am way happier with the build quality of the k-sports compared to the steel tein ss'

the tein ss dampenming adjuster is weak, and provides minimal feedback when adjusting.

the steel shock body on the tein ss rust's and the green powdercoating flakes off, the welds suck on the tein ss too.

the tein ss is basically a sleeve type coilover welded to a steel shock body with 16 way adjustable dampening.

ksports are all aluminum, no crappy weld's, no rust, the anodizing will not flake off. the shock body is threaded so you can adjust the ride height without messing with preload, they are 32 way dampening adjustable, and when you adjust the dampening you actually get feedback "click's" so you can tell you have moved the valve inside.

i have not had to deal with either company's warranty or rebuild service yet, but from what i have heard both are great to deal with.

for the $ the k-sports are a better buy.

and they can be had for under $900 shipped brand new.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Volks FTW!!!

this is a tough question to answer. it's kind of like asking for width of rims or tires compared to what everyone else thinks.

what are you going for? if you just want to lower your car, just get springs and shocks and save yourself a few hundred bucks on other things.

if you think you might go lower later and new wheels, then get coilovers. everyone wants a smooth car, but anytime you lower your car, you'll compromise more or less.

if it were me, i'd save up and coilovers. it's worth the money to me because i can adjust the height depending on my wheels, tires, comfort, etc.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah guys thanks alot its just cuz well i just got sum rims and well... of course now i want to lower my car but i want an oem kit too so idk i'm just anxious i guess. i guess maybe i'll wait to save up for coil overs so i can readjust my car later when i get a kit
Old 12-25-2008, 05:09 PM

you should have gotten coilovers first, then wheels/tires, then an oem kit.

coilovers are always the first major mod.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grip
putting on my k-sports today

k-sport is better coilover for the $ vs. the Tein ss, i have both...i am way happier with the build quality of the k-sports compared to the steel tein ss'

the tein ss dampenming adjuster is weak, and provides minimal feedback when adjusting.

the steel shock body on the tein ss rust's and the green powdercoating flakes off, the welds suck on the tein ss too.

the tein ss is basically a sleeve type coilover welded to a steel shock body with 16 way adjustable dampening.

ksports are all aluminum, no crappy weld's, no rust, the anodizing will not flake off. the shock body is threaded so you can adjust the ride height without messing with preload, they are 32 way dampening adjustable, and when you adjust the dampening you actually get feedback "click's" so you can tell you have moved the valve inside.

i have not had to deal with either company's warranty or rebuild service yet, but from what i have heard both are great to deal with.

for the $ the k-sports are a better buy.

and they can be had for under $900 shipped brand new.
How's the ride?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:33 PM

honestly, i put 100 miles on them today, and the K-sport's are set 1 click away from full stiff, and my car is pretty low, but not dumped (yet...its winter) the K-sport's feel slightly stiffer than the stock TL-S shocks and spring's.

i am running 215-55-17 tires, so some of the stiffness is killed due to the meatier winter tires.

i am 100% happy with them, and can honestly recommend them to anyone.

i think that if i were to set them at full soft dampening, they would feel pretty damn close to the stock tl-s shocks and spring's...but i tend to like a slightly firmer ride.

and once i put on my wheels with 225-40-18 tires, i think they will feel even firmer, but i can always dial the dampening down to get the right feel.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by LeeDan00
this is a tough question to answer. it's kind of like asking for width of rims or tires compared to what everyone else thinks.

what are you going for? if you just want to lower your car, just get springs and shocks and save yourself a few hundred bucks on other things.

if you think you might go lower later and new wheels, then get coilovers. everyone wants a smooth car, but anytime you lower your car, you'll compromise more or less.

if it were me, i'd save up and coilovers. it's worth the money to me because i can adjust the height depending on my wheels, tires, comfort, etc.
X2....i have the eibachs rite now but im wishin i can go lower for the summer so i might get some coilovers now....
Old 01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by grip
honestly, i put 100 miles on them today, and the K-sport's are set 1 click away from full stiff, and my car is pretty low, but not dumped (yet...its winter) the K-sport's feel slightly stiffer than the stock TL-S shocks and spring's.

i am running 215-55-17 tires, so some of the stiffness is killed due to the meatier winter tires.

i am 100% happy with them, and can honestly recommend them to anyone.

i think that if i were to set them at full soft dampening, they would feel pretty damn close to the stock tl-s shocks and spring's...but i tend to like a slightly firmer ride.

and once i put on my wheels with 225-40-18 tires, i think they will feel even firmer, but i can always dial the dampening down to get the right feel.
To add to this, I've done about 1000 miles of driving over the past two weeks, both highway and twisty mountain roads and the Ksports are great. I have mine set to the firmest up front and 6 clicks from the firmest in the back and they ride incredibly well.