So you want Air Suspension? READ ME FIRST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
So you want Air Suspension? READ ME FIRST!!!

Okay, so while on my quest to install airbags on my 99 TL, I have learned and experienced a lot of things that I would like to share on this great website. For those who are confused about hookin up your TL with air ride, read on.

First thing. I have done everything myself. If your good with repairing your car, this should be easy for you. Just prepare yourself to get the kinks out of the system like leaks and such after installing this system. Once that is done, youll be able to keep your car inflated for days, weeks, even months with out dropping. This will be a fun mod and you will learn a lot(like hooking up 150db train air horns) .

Second thing I would like to get out of the way. To my knowledge, there is NOT a company that makes air bag suspension for the 99-03 Acura TL. Good news is, AirRide Technologies and EasyStreet makes front and rear air bag suspension for the 98-02 Honda Accord. Basically its like coilovers but the coil is replaced with a DOT approved air bag. Both companies offer damper control with a simple turn of a dial on the strut.

These air bags fit the 2nd gen TL with ZERO modification, BUT, you WILL have problems lifting the front. That is due to the fact that the TL is heavier in the front then the 6cyl Accord. The one way to fix that is by having a wider bag installed, unfortunately, due to the design of the TL. It is not possible to do that because of clearance. The back, on the other hand, lifts beautifully. That is the reason why you wont see air bags for the 2nd gen TL, unless a company has created something that will fix that problem.

So, now your asking, "What can I do?" "What are my options?" Well, my setup consists of the AirRide Technologies BIG RED MAX Digital air management system and 98-02 Accord EasyStreet Airover bags, front and back. Yes, I do have the front lifting problem. The AirRide Technologies air system is not recommended for our cars because all their systems are rated at 150psi max. 150psi is not enough to lift the front in one shot. I currently have my setup at 175psi which makes my front end lift MUCH faster and completely with one push of the button.

So what is recommended for our 2nd gen TL??? An EasyStreet air management system, simply because their systems are rated at 175psi. Their bags are cheap in price($350-$600 a pair) and are the best option that I see so far. AirRide. also makes airbags for the 98-02 Accord, but they run for about $900 for a pair of bags. From speaking with a VERY smart man named Jim at EasyStreet, he recommend for me to run my system at 200psi in the tanks, which should make my front end lift fast.

BOTTOM LINE.
The 2nd gen TL will always have that weight problem in the front, from my research, and as far as air bags go. Run atleast 175psi with a 10 gallon (or higher) tank. I recommend the digital system from EasyStreet. It's the easiest air system to install with plug and play feature. The controller kinda looks like a V-AFC unit that tells you what psi is in each bag and what psi is in the tank(s).
The bigger the air line, the faster the lifting. I run 1/2 lines and my car lifts in one second.

LINKS
EASYSTREET
AirRide Tech

Please feel free to send some knowledge about this my way so I can update accordingly. This info is what I have found out from air baggin my TL.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REV-01 has Air Runner Bags they seem to work pretty well
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Air Runner makes a kit for the 3.2 TL as well as Canover. Both quality set-ups and neither have problems lifting the car in one shot as far as I know.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
I like cars.

on what tank psi? at 150psi, my front would only lift 2 inches.
did they remove the sway bars? im sure there is a way to fix the front lifing problem i just didnt get around to it yet, and i wish more poeple that run bags would share they experiance like im doing.

just to get things straight, i created this thread to inform those who want an adjustable suspension. so if my findings are incorrect or need updating just post it and be sure to back it up.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I like cars.

Can someone get REV-01 to comment on this thread. His PM box is full. Someone IM him or something. Need to get info on the bags hes using.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Banned

The only reason you have problems raising the front is becuase you don't have enough pressure in your tank. There is no need to run a 10lb tank. Just change the pressure regulator and you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

You should of gone with Air Runners. They make a kit just for the 2GTL.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:06 AM
I like cars.

Originally Posted by ComptechUA6
You should of gone with Air Runners. They make a kit just for the 2GTL.
thats doesnt mean it works, they could of just taken accord bags and put them into a tl package.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Drifting

THe air runner setup is no garbage, all the JDM/VIP tuners seem to use Air Runner. Air Runner isnt cheap, you get what you pay for as with most mods.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 AM
I like cars.

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
THe air runner setup is no garbage, all the JDM/VIP tuners seem to use Air Runner. Air Runner isnt cheap, you get what you pay for as with most mods.
Do you have the air runner airbag kit installed in your TL?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

there is lots of air ride equip cars on the island...enough to make a air-runner crew...anyway with the psi it all depends on what bag you used...

all the air runner kit is made vehicle specific...the 98-02 air runner kit used a different sleeve strut than the tl version...

air runner is not the kind of company that will sell you anything just because it "fits"...

is easier just to go with a company offer the application for that car because is tuned and proven in that application.

i built a show tsx for my customer equipped with air runner...there is pics and also video on going up and down at the end of the thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34834

for more info regards to air runner please visit www.airrunner.co.jp
or i have a air runner installed thread
http://www.postjunky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6208

Name:  high.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  slammed.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  58.5 KB
Old 02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I like cars.

I need to see a picture of the air runner front bags to compare to my easy street bags. anyone have any pics?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I have canovers...Im pretty sure I can lift my front all the way at like 150 psi. WIth my setup, it seems like it takes more pressure to lift the rear. This could be because of the heavy ass system in my trunk maybe. Either way, I have been running this system for 2.5 years now with no issues. The rear cylinders did need to be rebuilt, but other than that no problems. I also used ART big red valves...they are the best on the market, made specifically for Air Ride applications. The other valves that come with the other kits arent the best, and definately wouldnt stand up to this weather in the east...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM
No body kit for me...

I think the thing that is missing in this post is the difference between a strut with a sleeve bag or an air cylinder. An air bag will always ride better than a cylinder due to the fact that the bag acts as a spring and cylinders have little to no give. Some people have tried using hydraulic accumulators with cylinders to soften the ride but have had little success.

Bottom line, air bags will always ride better than cylinders.

I personally have the Easy Street (Air Lift) bag-over struts in my 2G and they are fantastic. You can see pics here https://acurazine.com/forums/console-computer-gaming-13/game-battles-ladder-reset-143491/
Old 10-04-2021, 08:09 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Username 0
Okay, so while on my quest to install airbags on my 99 TL, I have learned and experienced a lot of things that I would like to share on this great website. For those who are confused about hookin up your TL with air ride, read on.

First thing. I have done everything myself. If your good with repairing your car, this should be easy for you. Just prepare yourself to get the kinks out of the system like leaks and such after installing this system. Once that is done, youll be able to keep your car inflated for days, weeks, even months with out dropping. This will be a fun mod and you will learn a lot(like hooking up 150db train air horns) .

Second thing I would like to get out of the way. To my knowledge, there is NOT a company that makes air bag suspension for the 99-03 Acura TL. Good news is, AirRide Technologies and EasyStreet makes front and rear air bag suspension for the 98-02 Honda Accord. Basically its like coilovers but the coil is replaced with a DOT approved air bag. Both companies offer damper control with a simple turn of a dial on the strut.

These air bags fit the 2nd gen TL with ZERO modification, BUT, you WILL have problems lifting the front. That is due to the fact that the TL is heavier in the front then the 6cyl Accord. The one way to fix that is by having a wider bag installed, unfortunately, due to the design of the TL. It is not possible to do that because of clearance. The back, on the other hand, lifts beautifully. That is the reason why you wont see air bags for the 2nd gen TL, unless a company has created something that will fix that problem.

So, now your asking, "What can I do?" "What are my options?" Well, my setup consists of the AirRide Technologies BIG RED MAX Digital air management system and 98-02 Accord EasyStreet Airover bags, front and back. Yes, I do have the front lifting problem. The AirRide Technologies air system is not recommended for our cars because all their systems are rated at 150psi max. 150psi is not enough to lift the front in one shot. I currently have my setup at 175psi which makes my front end lift MUCH faster and completely with one push of the button.

So what is recommended for our 2nd gen TL??? An EasyStreet air management system, simply because their systems are rated at 175psi. Their bags are cheap in price($350-$600 a pair) and are the best option that I see so far. AirRide. also makes airbags for the 98-02 Accord, but they run for about $900 for a pair of bags. From speaking with a VERY smart man named Jim at EasyStreet, he recommend for me to run my system at 200psi in the tanks, which should make my front end lift fast.

BOTTOM LINE.
The 2nd gen TL will always have that weight problem in the front, from my research, and as far as air bags go. Run atleast 175psi with a 10 gallon (or higher) tank. I recommend the digital system from EasyStreet. It's the easiest air system to install with plug and play feature. The controller kinda looks like a V-AFC unit that tells you what psi is in each bag and what psi is in the tank(s).
The bigger the air line, the faster the lifting. I run 1/2 lines and my car lifts in one second.

LINKS
EASYSTREET
AirRide Tech

Please feel free to send some knowledge about this my way so I can update accordingly. This info is what I have found out from air baggin my TL.
ksport sells bags for a 03 TL it has a list of all the cars a 98-02 accord air bag suspension will work on