Snow Tires In Front Only or On All 4 Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow Tires In Front Only or On All 4 Wheels?

hey guys, i tried searching through the new and old threads and i didn't find much. only some old thread i wrote like 3 years ago and some other but i am looking to put some snow tires on very soon and i wasn't sure whether i could get away with just putting 2 on the front so long as i keep the diameter about the same as the yokohamas i have now.

does anyone have any information on this?

logically i would think it shouldn't matter if the diameter is about the same, although maybe the benefit of having snows on the rear would outweigh the price and having to store them.

any takers? tire recommendations?

thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I've seen people only install snow / winter tires up front for a FWD car.

This is a huge mistake.

It is recommended by virtually anyone who understands cars that snow / winter tires be installed in sets of 4. Rationale: you want to have tires that have equal grip at all corners. Think about it -- having the grippy tires up front will help with acceleration and to initiate turns. But what happens when you go around then turn or stop? The tires in back can't keep up with the ones in front. Result: the back end loosens up during the turn or even when stopping hard.

Do yourself a favor ... buy snow / winter tires in sets of 4. It's like buying insurance -- maybe not totally necessary but may save you when you need it most.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

i see the point you're making, and it's quite valid. i was just wondering from a technical/reliability standpoint if it's unwise. i'm going to check out the price tommorow but i have a feeling (judging from what i've seen on tire rack) that the $500+ price tag will not be a pill i can swallow. especially since i have to buy 4 snow tires for my girlfriend's car this winter.

i'm still considering investing in a set of low clearance tire cables considering how often i find myself driving in blizzards or 5-6 inches of snow. i'll definitely report back and let everyone know what i end up doing.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its VERY dangerous to just install 2. Ive done it for messing around purposes and it can be a hand full. Get all 4. You wont regret it.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

yeah, you guys are right. no point in going half ass and only getting two tires.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you decide to get chains though; you only need those on the front.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
for snow tires its four tires~ otherwise its like having too much braking in the rear and its always trying to spin out

You can drive with low clearance CABLES in 1-2 inch snow, blizzard-6 inches- no, I wouldnt go out and waste the TL in that weather on cables
You can run cables on all 4 wheels for better traction- especially when its icy. same reason of rear traction
Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Is your insurance coverage full replacement like new?
and is the cost of the right tires less than the deductible?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how bout in the cali mtns, where they require cables/chains on your tires?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

any1 got a link for the cables?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
B A N N E D

GET ALL 4 Nitto Geo best tire i've ever OWN!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
for snow tires its four tires~ otherwise its like having too much braking in the rear and its always trying to spin out

You can drive with low clearance CABLES in 1-2 inch snow, blizzard-6 inches- no, I wouldnt go out and waste the TL in that weather on cables
You can run cables on all 4 wheels for better traction- especially when its icy. same reason of rear traction
i've driven my tl in 4-5 inches of snow on all seasons before when i didn't have a choice so i'm confident in the abilities of the car. i don't particularly WANT to do it but i do find myself in that situation once or twice a year due to the fact that i can't always call out from my job or leave early/take the train when the weather is bad.

most of the chains and cables for passenger cars now meet or exceed the "s" (low clearance) requirements. the cables i bought exceed those. (SCC Super Z-6 cables). i bought them from vulcan tire sales if i recall but you can probably find a local dealer for them (i have one in town who didn't happen to have the size i wanted in stock)

in the end i decided against the snow tires because i do want to trade in the car in the spring so there is no sense in spending 500+ dollars for something i'll never reuse or get the value back out of. i bought two sets of cables for 140 and im sure i'll be happy with them.

oddly enough though i found that the center of my yokohama avids are all worn more than the outside and i am pretty religious about keeping them at 38psi. i'll have to measure it to confirm. my sumitomos definitely did better in the snow though.

01tl4tl - yes, i have full coverage (although given the low value of my car i will not keep it after this winter), and no, the cost of buying and mounting tires is not less than my deductable. the cost of buying snow cables, however, is significantly less and a good choice for me but i recognize it isn't a good choice for everyone.

i will definitely let you guys know how they work out for me. when i get them i will mount them and take some photos.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
snows only on front, especially on a front wheel drive = FAIL
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by CJITTY
snows only on front, especially on a front wheel drive = FAIL
i know all of you guys say this but i have to wonder how true it really is, because if you can manage in the snow with all seasons to begin with and you put snows on the front but you're not driving differently than before then how is it worse to leave your original tires on the back?

i could see what you mean if you meant because people will change their driving habits, thinking they're invincible, not remembering that the rear won't hold up as much as the front.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
i know all of you guys say this but i have to wonder how true it really is, because if you can manage in the snow with all seasons to begin with and you put snows on the front but you're not driving differently than before then how is it worse to leave your original tires on the back?

i could see what you mean if you meant because people will change their driving habits, thinking they're invincible, not remembering that the rear won't hold up as much as the front.
Because the snow tires WILL get much better traction. If you have them on the front the rear will want to come out much easier, in panic situations the rear braking wont be near the front and it will be harder for the ABS system to compensate. You may not think your driving differently but the snows will allow much better turning and braking and you will be taking advantage of it without even knowing.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
:ibpicsofhimstuckinasnowbank:

Seems like you've already made up your mind. Not sure why everyone is continuing to give him advice?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

Seems like you've already made up your mind. Not sure why everyone is continuing to give him advice?
Yeh, SatinSilverTypS, why don't you instead tell us all about your "2 snows tires on drive wheels" driving experience afterwards.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

fsttyms1 - thank you, that makes alot more sense and i see your point in full!

Edward and NSX should take a lesson from you on teaching. i was looking for a real explanation, not for people to say they shouldn't give me advice because i didn't understand how they came to their conclusions.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yeh, SatinSilverTypS, why don't you instead tell us all about your "2 snows tires on drive wheels" driving experience afterwards.
Edward - as i detailed earlier, i'm not buying snow tires, but was kindly asking for someone to explain how two snow tires is going to make someone destined to get stuck in the snow.

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

NSXNEXT - i've never gotten stuck in the snow in the 5 years i've owned the car and i've driven in every major blizzard in NY and only had all seasons. so don't worry, i won't turn up in the local paper.

you're both quick to judge but not to offer substance to back up everyone's advice so that the rest of us who don't know could understand. that is the whole point of this forum, please try not to forget that. i'm not challenging any of you because i think you're lying or that i know better than you, it's because i clearly don't know the answer. and i have no problem admitting there is plenty of stuff i have yet to learn from everyone here.

Last edited by SatinSilverTypS; 12-31-2008 at 07:34 AM.