Shipping Wheels and Tires, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Shipping Wheels and Tires, HELP!

Folks,

I just sold some wheels and tires. For the folks that have sent wheels with tires mounted on them, what is the cheapest way to package and send them to someone via UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc? The UPS Store is charging me $214 to send four 16" wheels with tires from Colorado to Canada. Believe it or not, it's only $15 cheaper to send from Denver to California, so shipping to Canada really isn't the issue, but that still seems really high to me. The price includes $25 for a box that holds two wheels/tires. Can anybody help me out here. Need an answer pretty quick like.

Thanks,
JItty
Old 05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To save some $$, I don't think you need boxes.
Tie up two of rims & tires together with some plastic cable and cover the wheel face with some circular card board box(you can cut this out from some boxes). As long as you cover the wheels face safely, what could be damaged? tires? I don't think so.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY
Folks,

I just sold some wheels and tires. For the folks that have sent wheels with tires mounted on them, what is the cheapest way to package and send them to someone via UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc? The UPS Store is charging me $214 to send four 16" wheels with tires from Colorado to Canada. Believe it or not, it's only $15 cheaper to send from Denver to California, so shipping to Canada really isn't the issue, but that still seems really high to me. The price includes $25 for a box that holds two wheels/tires. Can anybody help me out here. Need an answer pretty quick like.

Thanks,
JItty
I recently sold two 18x8.5 w/245-40-18 tires & two 18x10.5 w/275-40-18 SSR GT3.

Here is what I did.

I went to a box store and they had 28x28x12 box (will fit wheels & tire together). I bought 4 boxes ($6.95 each). I also bought some foam ($12) and used bunch of news paper to package the wheels & tires and shipped it. Make sure you use enough foam, newspaper & tape. after packaging was done, I droped it off at Kinko's.

I live in So Cal and I shipped it to Erie PA. The shipping was about $150 Via fedex for all 4 boxs. I would package it correctly because if something goes wrong, Fedex will try to blame the packaging and will not cover with insurance.

The package went safely to PA.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same thing here. my bro shipped some wheels from ca to az via fedex at kinko stores. he modified dell computer boxes (free from work ) so one rim/tire would fit in each box snugly, with a sheet of household 0.5" thick foam insulation to cover the face (cut down from a big 8x4 sheet, $8). these were 19s (8.5, 10) and each weighed in at 60 lbs. the total cost was $80 something dollars! the trick is to make sure it's a "standard" size so using boxes keeps it from being considered over- or odd-sized. boxes protect and hide contents. fortunately, weight was not an issue because some have limits.

use the fedex online calculator because it was only off by a couple of bucks!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks everyone, great input!!! I appreciate all the suggestions, all of them good!!