Rotors freezing on the spindle what's the best cure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors freezing on the spindle what's the best cure?

I have a 2001 TL and recently replaced the rotors with some Duralast (Autozone) rotors. I am also currently replacing my struts and upper control arms. While doing so I wanted to re-check the rotors to see how they were doing and they were rusted to the spindle and it took me about an hour of tapping on them to get them off. Is there any good rust prohibitor that will handle the high temperature and not come off on the rotor surface? Any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
I just smack mine with a rubber mallet and they come off real quick.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use anti-seize....below is the product description...never had a problem taking any rotor off that I applied anti-seize on...notice the text that are highlighted in blue...and don't let the food in the name fool you, they recently changed the name...it is great on cars....you can get the regular anti-seize, but this one is like it was designed to keep the rotor from sticking to the hub being that it is for high heat applications

HI-TEMP FOOD GRADE™
Anti-Seize Compound
(Formerly High-Temp Pure White™)

Hi-Temp Food Grade is a heavy-duty assembly paste designed for high-temperature applications in the Food/Beverage and Drug/Cosmetic industries.

Hi-Temp Food Grade is formulated to meet FDA and USDA requirements where incidental contact with food can occur. It adheres to metal surfaces and has anti-rust and anti-corrosion properties vital to protect equipment from harmful attack of corrosive acids found in food substances.

Features and Benefits:
• Effective at temperatures to 2100ºF (1148ºC)
• Pure, tasteless, non-toxic, and non-staining
• USDA H-1 and FDA approved
• May be used with potable water
• High solid content for long life
• Excellent resistance to wash out

Applications: All Metal-to-Metal Surfaces where disassembly is a requirement after exposure to High Temperatures, Corrosive Conditions, or Harsh Environments.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks,

That is what I did. Put a little anti-sieze on them and they seem to be doing fine. I am not getting the rust build up as it did before really quickly.