need help with front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with front end noise

I have a 99 tl. i hit a pot hole and ended up putting both axel shafts in left lower ball joing and right upper ball joint. had tires balanced and alignment done. just put new brakes and rotors in front. Noticed i was missing a wait on my front pass tire and put it in the back. BUT still have a little shake it the wheel. and when i turn right there is a rubbing sort of noise. even when i turn the wheel slightly. but nothing to the left. wheel bearings were check when shafts were done and they were still good. ANY IDEAS. PLZ
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Matp43, stepping back a bit....how was everything before ya nailed the hole ?
Which side sustained the most impact ? Assuming it's the front passenger side, have that rim and tire inspected for damage. May need to have it rebalanced.

Jack the car's front up and with it safely supported .....try to simulate the rubbing noise by turning the wheel to the right. Maybe a tie rod or something with the strut ? Ya must've really hit that hole hard !!!!!
The following users liked this post:
matp43 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

So i hit the hole on the passenger side. when i took it in, they checked the rim and it was ok. before i hit the hole everything was great. the rim and tire that had the impact was put on the rear. it was fine for awhile. than i replaced the front brakes and rotors. still fine until the other day it started to shake in the steering wheel a bit. than i notice a noise coming from the front end. so i thought maybe it was bad rotors. when i took the pass tire off, i notice that i have no balancing weights. so i put the tire in back last night to see if the problem would go away and it kind of did. i think my rotors might be shot. do you think the unbalanced tire could of messed them up. i am lost and don't want to just dump money in everything till its fixed. i already put a lot of money in it with everything that's been done.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

So, in review....both cv axle shafts, driver LBJ, passenger UBJ, front rotors and pads .....all replaced with new parts. Wheel bearings checked ok, fresh alignment and wheel balance done.

Assuming that the tire and rim which hit the pothole are ok, then it's something that you either didn't catch or perhaps the above repair work needs rechecked ?

The process of elimination. " Which rotors are shot ? ....and were adhesive balancing weights used ? "
matp43 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM
10th Gear

k thank you!! I am planning on going through the whole front end this weekend and double checking everything. I will let you know what i find out.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
A vibration while driving is usually either a bad/out of balance tire/rim or an axle. Rubbing could be brakes. Do you have any humming or noise that sounds like noisy tires while driving?

Where in WI are you located

<-----------
matp43 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool Front end shakin' & rubbin'.......

Originally Posted by matp43
So i hit the hole on the passenger side. when i took it in, they checked the rim and it was ok. before i hit the hole everything was great. still fine until the other day it started to shake in the steering wheel a bit. than i notice a noise coming from the front end.

so i thought maybe it was bad rotors. when i took the pass tire off, i notice that i have no balancing weights. so i put the tire in back last night to see if the problem would go away and it kind of did. i think my rotors might be shot. do you think the unbalanced tire could of messed them up.
Hey Matp43, when ya go to check things out......focus your attention towards the front passenger side which suffered the impact from the pothole. First obvious thing would be the tire itself, as it may have internally separated belts.

If everything was good before hitting the hole and you've replaced RHS cv shaft, UBJ, rotors & pads, and then an alignment with balancing.....recheck everything on that side. Especially the tire, lower control arm, tie rod and the strut's top bushing mount.
matp43 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
10th Gear

k thank you! i will see what i can find out and let you know, what i find out.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
10th Gear

Hey fsttyms1, So i dont really have a humming noise. It sounds to me almost like a metal rubbing noise. The one tire that i lost my balancing weights on is in the rear. I plan on getting it rebalanced today. I have noticed that it is louder when i turn the wheel to the right but it is still some what there when i turn it to the left also. if i barely turn the wheel to the left i can her it. I am located in Hudson
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Sorry it took so long super busy. thanks for all the help it ended up being my rotors and pads. not sure why they went bad so fast but the rotors were warped. thanks again
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

If the rotors and pads were recently replaced......and went bad shortly afterwards, then ya gotta check to see if the caliper is hanging up. Old contaminated brake fluid and lack of lube on the caliper's contact areas with the pad and slide pins will cause the caliper's to not operate freely,then inturn the pads will drag on the rotors causing them to overheat and warp.
matp43 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

Thanks never thought about that. I will have to check it out. Thanks again