Need Advice on Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Tire Replacement

I need to replace one of my OEM tires that has about 20,000 miles on it. Instead of getting another OEM tire I was thinking about getting 2 new better quality tires and putting them on the front. This would leave me with different tires on the front than on the back. So, I have 2 questions
1. Any reason this is a bad idea?
2. Any better solutions given that I don't want to buy 4 new tires and I really don't want a single tire that has 20,000 less miles than the others.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM
RickRoush03

no, it can be done, just make sure the same tires are on the front or the rear, not all mixed up.. also, you don't want OEM tires with say BFGoodrich KD's as they are 2 totally different tires. OEM and something equivalent will be good.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Austin2003TLS
I need to replace one of my OEM tires that has about 20,000 miles on it. Instead of getting another OEM tire I was thinking about getting 2 new better quality tires and putting them on the front. This would leave me with different tires on the front than on the back. So, I have 2 questions
1. Any reason this is a bad idea?
2. Any better solutions given that I don't want to buy 4 new tires and I really don't want a single tire that has 20,000 less miles than the others.

Thanks,

Ken
It happened to me when I managed to get a large nail and it was too close to the sidewall to be repaired. The tire could not be repaired properly and I thought I was stuck with buying a new crappy Michelin MXM4. Lucky for me, a friend of mine who runs a Wheel and Tire shop had a few MXM4s that were takeoffs from a TSX. That was fine for me, since I have no intention of replacing the OEMs with the same useless tires. I've had poor reviews on these OEMs; two of them had sidewall bulges that I had to fight tooth and nail to get replaced, and they perform poorly on wet or damp roads and they begin to howl with only about 30K on them.

Once these wear out, I'm going to try the Yoko Avid V4S that has the same size and load ratings as stock, I have read and heard good reviews about them and I'll give them a shot.

-I would suggest waiting out until you can actually get 4 new tires of the same kind. As RR03 said, different tires with different rubber compounds may give you a different feel for the road, since they may all have different levels of traction. The OEM MXM4s are NOT performance tires even if Michelin states they are. They are more of a high-end touring tires.

-Upgrade to a larger diameter and better rim/tire setup down the road and use your stock OEM rims and/or tires for winter (one thing is, OEM MXM4s are no good in snow).

Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Back in the slow lane.

Shouldn't you be able to get that bad tire pro-rated for a new one? Seems like 20,000 is at least half of the tire's estimated mileage rating. I would get the same tire, or buy 4 new ones.