Are StopTech CTEK rotors worth putting on?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Are StopTech CTEK rotors worth putting on?

Hey all, time to put brakes on the car again and while I normally order pretty much everything through Amazon, I decided to use Exelerate again since I bought from them last time (all four discs + pads). This time I am just replacing the fronts although the rears are due soon. I've tried drilled/slotted before and wasn't happy with them, they were not as smooth as blanks and they warped just like everything else. I went to their site and tried to find what I got last time, which as I recall was just StopTech blank rotors, with a painted hat because I'm done with bare rotors that rust and look like absolute crap before too long.

I put in my car model and click rotors, and scroll down to the StopTech listings:

I see pretty much the same list as when I got my Acurazine brake package - drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, and blank (or so I thought). I don't know what "CTEK" is but the picture is what I'm looking for - blank rotor with painted hat. The product name is damn close to what is listed in the package, which is "StopTech Premium Blank Rotor". Turns out these rotors are the exact opposite of what I wanted in every way and the picture on their site is wrong (drilled/slotted/bare metal):

So after waiting 10 days for these to arrive I contact them and say this isn't what I was expecting, they say my only recourse is to mail them back at my expense ($45) and wait for them to send out what I actually wanted, which is realistically going to take upwards of two weeks at this rate. This is my fault since I didn't notice that in the product description it says drilled and slotted (trying not to make this a long story, but I *did* notice when they finally sent me an invoice to my email, which is only *after* they ship, and I let them know immediately there was a mistake). Fine. I just won't order from them in the future, I can get the same thing for cheaper from Amazon with prepaid returns for any reason.

All I can think of is what big rusted hunks of junk these are going to look like after a month. Anybody else install these on their TL? With the last install it was finally the first time I didn't have any brake pulsation issues and I wanted to use the same rotors. I'm on the fence about just putting these on the car or sending them back and buying what I wanted from Amazon.

Anybody have good/bad experience with these?

Last edited by SuperGreg; 04-27-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I would say any rotor with a warranty will be fine. If they don't pre-maturely warp in the first 6 months due to manufacturer error, they probably aren't going to.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-28-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Pro

Well I decided to put them on. I have another baby on the way in two weeks, dad is fighting cancer again and I'm constantly taking 180 mile round trips to his place, plus a million things around the house I'm trying to finish up - I don't have time to mess around with this. Installed them last night, and they already look like a rusty mess today. They looked great when I first installed them though. I put on EBC red stuff and stainless brake lines and the combo stops very well. Rotors look like crap now though as expected.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Pro

Put on some red Power Stop reman calipers as well (ordered from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
)

Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Should have gone with the Legend caliper setup instead :/ but Congrats on the Upgrades anyway.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Should have gone with the Legend caliper setup instead :/ but Congrats on the Upgrades anyway.
I know, too late now. #ohwell.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Pro

So I found out that even though Exelerate lists "PowerStop Premium Blank" rotors as an option with their Acurazine packages, the blanks are in fact Centric. Thus my confusion in trying to find the PowerStop blanks listed elsewhere (and seeing what I though was them due to the wrong picture). Misrepresentations of product in two places. Screw these guys.

Search this Thread