Grinding noise when making right turns.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Grinding noise when making right turns.

Hello, my 03 TLS has started to make a grinding noise when making a right turn. However it also makes the same noise but quieter when braking. Really lost here, the boot for the half axle does not appear to be blown. There's no axle grease flung around. I will be looking into it more one the weather gets better but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. The only thing I found was that it's the half axle. But I've replaced both on my old civic when that went out and they weren't doing anything like this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Just because the boot isn't broken doesn't mean the axle isn't bad.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

That is true. I'm going to be looking into it as soon as the weather gets better. We've been getting a lot of rain and snow in this last month, and in the next few days lol. I also have a bad feeling it's a wheel bearing. It has the best description of all the current symptoms my car has. I've noticed small things for awhile, but never caught on til now.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Fix

So the issue is the front right wheel bearing as I suspected. Jacked it up last night and wiggled the wheel from the 9 and 3 o clock position as well as the 12 and 6. Took the wheel off and spun the hub and it fells pretty grainy. I put it into gear while it was in the air and cracked it all the way to the right and it makes no noise, eliminateing the CV axle. I also found that on the same side, the strut itls pretty soft so it'll be getting replaced as well. Of course I'm doing both front struts.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Good troubleshooting!!!

Search this Thread