Got new shoes for my ride.....but......

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got new shoes for my ride.....but......

Just got some new tires from Discount Tires over the weekend, but was rather disappointed at the service. I did a lot research over the web and decided to go with the Yokohama YK520 tires due to the longer tread life and the warranty for the tires. Besides, the overall price wasn't bad for tires that should last for more than 60,000 miles.

Everything was fine and got my tires installed and ready to go. As soon as my gf and I got out to the parking lot, things started to turn sour. I opened my door for my girl, as all gentle men should, I found the clear plastic cover of the little light on the bottom of the door resting next to the passenger seat. I am not sure how that happened since it was perfectly fine earlier that morning. Apparently the bottom stick of the cover got bent and was dangling. Thinking that it's not something that a little dab of crazy glue won't fix, I didn't bother making a fuzz out of it.

Right before I put the car in gear, I decided to check to see if my lug key was returned to me. I checked the case which the key was taken out of and did not find the key. I asked the sales person and found out that the tech had placed the key inside of the driver side pocket, fine. Growing with disappointment and anger, I went on my way. As I pulled up to my driveway, I popped open my trunk to get some things we've purchased earlier that day. To my surprise, the little black plastic piece of the side of the inner trunk had been yanked out of place. Those little punks decided to go through my trunk looking for something. I had to pull the entire plastic holder out by removing the plastic fasteners holding it in place to secure it back into place. My guess is that they were looking for my spare tire and thought the plastic piece was the handle of the cover?

I have to take the car back to the shop tomorrow to fix the vibration the tires have been giving me. Another thing, they wrote on the receipt that my left rear wheel is slightly bent. Hopefully that will not be too significant that will contribute to the vibration. So instead of telling me that my wheel is bent, they've decided just to write it on the receipt. This time I am going to stand right in front of the garage and watch them as they try to solve the vibration problem. I might even bring my camera with me to record any possible damage to my car as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had issues with DT as well but one call to their regional office and your local store manager will accommodate you. Try that and good luck!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
They may have been looking for the wheel lock key???
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they bent your wheel and were looking for a full sized spare to rotate in???
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
hates the winter

With the bent wheel in the right rear you shouldn't feel too much of a vibration. If it's badly bent then you will need to replace it. Have them re-balance the front tires.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been dealing with discount tire since 1992 and never once did I have an issue with them. They are very responsive and will make it right. I agree with Kris, they may have been looking for your key and shuffled some things around, but I don't believe they broke your light cover and if they are a little loose, closing the door would knock it off. It is also possible if they were busy, a different tech presented you your car when you left and wasn't aware of what they found, the bent wheel is not their fault. I agree, they should have made you aware immediately if it was bent while you were there, they have done that for me in the past with some old rims I had on my Accord. DT is a very respectable company and I will only deal with them on tires. Also, I have the YK520s and three years later, I still love them!! (They are on my stock wheels)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
PIMPOLOGY 101

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO I love discount tire. Here in Kennesaw, GA they do everything right in an orderly manner. They even have a key lock for every lock that has ever been made. The garage is clean and neat. great service reps and they take care of you as if it was their car. Maybe it's different in other areas, but here its definitely a good place to go
Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Oh, the bent rim wasn't their fault, I purchased the car used and the rims were all scraped when I got it. I just didn't know it was bent, since I never did anything with the wheels. But as for the wheel lock, it was written on the service schedule by my salesperson that the lock was in the passenger side door pocket. Who knows what happened to the light cover, I glued it and popped it back on, so it's fine. I guess they might have looked in my trunk for the spare as a possible rim exchange thing. But the yanked the plastic thing out and just left it wobbling around.

I went back to get it check out and they did the balance on my rear wheels but not the front. The reason is that I didn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel but rather on the floor mainly. The steering wheel doesn't shake or anything, but I can feel the vibration still, after the balancing. However, it doesn't vibrate as much after they did the balance again. Both the rear wheels were off balanced, seems like they were real busy when they put my tires on huh?

As for the road noise, the Yokohama's are kinda loud. I asked the sales person who sold me the tires and he said it should be quieter than the stock ones. Another salesperson came and helped us because the other dude was busy with customers. When I asked about perhaps exchanging my tired with the Goodyear Eagle GT due to the road noise, I was told that the Yokohama's should be quieter since the Goodyear's are more sport oriented. Does anyone know if that's true?

More bad news, I just realized that my heat doesn't work. I called the dealership to check if my extended warranty would cover the cost. However, it is uncertain that the warranty company would cover for it. If they decided not to cover it, then I'd be stuck paying 110 for diagnostic and more for the actual repair. If they do cover it, I'd only have to pay my 100 dollar co payment. Doesn't extended warranty just worth every single penny?