flexible suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
flexible suspension setup

I have searched alot and found lots of info also but still can't decide which way to go. It's past 3am, can't go on. I need you guys help.
I want to lower my TL but not alot. I want a finger gap all around or a little more in the rear. I want to be able to put it back up for the winter times here when the snow comes. I was really going to get F&F type 1 but after some review, I saw they still sit too low even on its highest setting. Tein basic is a good option but much more expensive and rare to find 2nd hand. Then I was thinking about ground control over stock shocks or even a KYB GR 2 but saw no good review on that. I don't mind running a slight drop with a spring n shocks combo that will allow me to run in Montreal winters also something like Tein H-tech or Tanabe NF. Would these 2 springs run good on stock type S shocks and give enough clearance for snow driving. My goal is to lower the wheel gap while maintaining stock like ride and you guessed it, winter drivebility on a budget. I dunno which route to take. I would appreciate any help, suggestions here. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't worry about raising it back up in winter if you're only going that low. I'm at about a 1-1.5 finger gap all around with the lip kit and that's how I drive all year round here in Edmonton. Trust me our winters and roads are way worse than Montreal. Not to mention after a couple nasty winters the threads and collars are going to be so damn dirty and frozen that you'd need to clean them up really really well before trying to adjust the height again.

I'd say go with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, set to lowest perch and use Eibach or H&R springs. After having one of my front struts blow on my Teins after only 20k kms I wouldn't buy Tein again.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
If this helps any, I have eibach pro kit on stock shocks and have a 1 finger gap all the way around.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
I wouldn't worry about raising it back up in winter if you're only going that low. I'm at about a 1-1.5 finger gap all around with the lip kit and that's how I drive all year round here in Edmonton. Trust me our winters and roads are way worse than Montreal. Not to mention after a couple nasty winters the threads and collars are going to be so damn dirty and frozen that you'd need to clean them up really really well before trying to adjust the height again.

I'd say go with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, set to lowest perch and use Eibach or H&R springs. After having one of my front struts blow on my Teins after only 20k kms I wouldn't buy Tein again.
I agree. Ive run coilovers in the past and after 1 winter i was unable to adjust them anymore. I run Koni Yellow and H&R shocks. Thats what i run on mine and winter gives me no issues. Never had a problem with our big storm this year that dropped 16 inches on us.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh and I just checked and you can get Koni sport shocks for a good deal off their site now. They're on sale! Pick them up quick if you're serious. I'm almost tempted to buy them and swap out my Tein Basics, but after dropping as much as I did to get a single new strut for my setup I'm going to stick with these Teins. I should've just bought a new set of Koni sports for the front and gone mismatched...would've been way cheaper.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Pro

Thanks guys for the facts. I was starting to think that a slight drop shouldn't be too much trouble in snow cuz 3 series come atleast 1 inch lower stock than our cars and they run fine in winter. I think I will go with H&Rs. As for the shocks, I checked their website, its still $552 for 4. I've found Tokico HP for 200 less. Some CL members say they ride very similar to stock, smoother than koni yellows at their softest setting. Also I would like to know your thoughts on KYB shocks as well. They go even cheaper than the HPs. Any major concerns with them I should know?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after reading, all that came to my mind was tien basics, nice ride, mildly low and adjustable.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by M T L T L
Thanks guys for the facts. I was starting to think that a slight drop shouldn't be too much trouble in snow cuz 3 series come atleast 1 inch lower stock than our cars and they run fine in winter. I think I will go with H&Rs. As for the shocks, I checked their website, its still $552 for 4. I've found Tokico HP for 200 less. Some CL members say they ride very similar to stock, smoother than koni yellows at their softest setting. Also I would like to know your thoughts on KYB shocks as well. They go even cheaper than the HPs. Any major concerns with them I should know?
Just remember you get what you pay for.

And my konis arent on the softest setting and ride every bit as good as stock, if not better.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Just remember you get what you pay for.

And my konis arent on the softest setting and ride every bit as good as stock, if not better.
Thats true but konis are more expensive because they're adjustable and HPs aren't. Im looking for something smooth in ride and not adjustable that will save me some money. If koni makes a non-adjustable one, let me know.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by M T L T L
Thats true but konis are more expensive because they're adjustable and HPs aren't. Im looking for something smooth in ride and not adjustable that will save me some money. If koni makes a non-adjustable one, let me know.
Konis are expensive because they are one of the best shocks made. They are worth every penny. Remember lots of shocks out there are designed for stock height applications and wont last as long lowered, nor will they ride as good lowered.

Sounds like your mind is already made up though.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
2002 WDP 3.2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
there are F&F1 in classifieds by xtreme626... dunno if he will ship or not?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Konis are expensive because they are one of the best shocks made. They are worth every penny. Remember lots of shocks out there are designed for stock height applications and wont last as long lowered, nor will they ride as good lowered.

Sounds like your mind is already made up though.
I was leaning towards the HPs cuz i've found a set for 272 + 60 for shipping. Im on a tight budget, I would prefere a non adjustable one since it doest cost as much. So wut would you suggest 2nd to Konis in this regard?