Dealer "couldn't" do alignment!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer "couldn't" do alignment!?!

I went to the dealership yesterday for an alignment and was puzzled when the service manager told me the alignment could not be performed because my TL is lowered. This didn't make sense to me. He stated that he didn't have the "specs" for it now that its lowered. I didn't go any further with him because it would have been a waste of time.

Isn't the point of getting an alignment supposed to be dialing it back in to "factory specs" (as close as possible)?...... Can someone shed some light on this for me?.... Is there something I'm missing?....thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What he meant by he can't ALIGN it because your car is lowered is that they dont have the RIGHT tools to align it. When the car is lowered, you can't just "align" it. You need the adjustment tool ( sorry i forgot the name of it ).

But what i DO know is that it cost about 80 dollars a pair. if any of the mods know what the name of that tool is please help him.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Banned

You could always go to a speed shop, or that's what I'll be doing. I called one up, asked if it's okay for them to service the car since it's lower, they responded with a yes since their lift was able to go low enough as well as they have the right tools and specs to go by. They gave me an estimate of $40 since I've referred them to a few other people once before. Just look around
Old 07-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pistacio
I went to the dealership yesterday for an alignment and was puzzled when the service manager told me the alignment could not be performed because my TL is lowered. This didn't make sense to me. He stated that he didn't have the "specs" for it now that its lowered. I didn't go any further with him because it would have been a waste of time.

Isn't the point of getting an alignment supposed to be dialing it back in to "factory specs" (as close as possible)?...... Can someone shed some light on this for me?.... Is there something I'm missing?....thanks
I had the same problem at FIRST ACURA. They couldn't do my alignment on my car too. The service manager said the same "specs" thing to me. I went to Town Fair Tire and they did a great job. I think it was $70. Just go there early in the morning when they first open, or you'll be waiting for a few hours.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced

You'll most likely need what they call camber kits. Although, what really kills tires is bad toe. Depending on the tire, it will last a fairly long time if just the toe is set within spec. Now, If you have a softer tire then it might wear faster if the camber is not adjusted also.

My car now(94 Integra, Soon to be TL ) Needs an alignment, but I need to find a shop with a certain alignment rack, as my car is pretty low.

60-100 is pretty normal for an alignment. If you have a "Tires plus" I would check them out. I bought 3yrs worth of alignments for 115 bucks. I'm not sure if all tires plus's are the same, but Its worth the 115 dollars if they offer it. I could have got my car aligned monthly if I wanted to.

I have sinced moved back home to VA and the closest Tires Plus is 75 miles away, so I am looking for a new shop.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks guys....

I don't have camber kits, I just want to take care of the Toe issue. I'm sure its out of whack because I've had my new wheels on for about two months (1700 miles?) and they are already showing signs of wear. I know I'll still have some camber wear...but I'll deal with it.

Weren't there some horror stories about front camber kits (breaking ball joints)?

And yes Providenceleaf, it was FIRST Acura......I might have a hook-up at Town Fair in Dartmouth.....

Joe80055, where are you having yours done?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My guess is this. There are NEW alignment settings for the lower suspension that you did not have with you...which is what came with my 05 A-spec suspension. It had new alignment settings that came with it...although it does not lower the car enough to need a camber kit. In most other cases though...a camber kit is also necessary to dial these settings in. They most likely had all the tools they needed....just not the proper suspension settings to set it up at....combined possibly with the fact that you might or might not need a camber kit too, which they would not keep in stock.

Look in your install instructions and I am sure there are alignment settings given. If you didnt have that sheet with you....they are at a guess at best.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer doesnt have the machine for lowered vehicles, it's some special machine that most speed shops or tires shops have. I usually go to STS and get it done for $60 w/o camber kits and w/ the kits jumps up to 90-100
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
The dealer doesnt have the machine for lowered vehicles, it's some special machine that most speed shops or tires shops have. I usually go to STS and get it done for $60 w/o camber kits and w/ the kits jumps up to 90-100

My dealer aligned my lowered TL.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That dealer is full of sh*t. I got mine done at Tires Plus (kinda of like a Big-O place) and they used their brand new high end alignment machine to get my car within OEM specs, give or take a 1/2 degree, but still in the "green" zone for proper alignment.

I got stock 17" wheels and Yoko tires and an HR Sport 50103 drop. Never, never an issue for alignment. 4 wheel alignment for under $50. Don't even bother f'n with the stealership...just a waste of time and headache.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY
That dealer is full of sh*t. I got mine done at Tires Plus (kinda of like a Big-O place) and they used their brand new high end alignment machine to get my car within OEM specs, give or take a 1/2 degree, but still in the "green" zone for proper alignment.

I got stock 17" wheels and Yoko tires and an HR Sport 50103 drop. Never, never an issue for alignment. 4 wheel alignment for under $50. Don't even bother f'n with the stealership...just a waste of time and headache.
Tire Barn does too...under $50.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pistacio
Thanks guys....

I don't have camber kits, I just want to take care of the Toe issue. I'm sure its out of whack because I've had my new wheels on for about two months (1700 miles?) and they are already showing signs of wear. I know I'll still have some camber wear...but I'll deal with it.

Weren't there some horror stories about front camber kits (breaking ball joints)?

And yes Providenceleaf, it was FIRST Acura......I might have a hook-up at Town Fair in Dartmouth.....

Joe80055, where are you having yours done?
I was the victim of a rear camber kit breaking/snapping... As a result, I no longer own my TL-s Make sure you buy something strong and durable.... perhaps reputable. Stay away from brand called Revo Technica. I made a dumb mistake and bought something that my shop recommended since Revo Technica kits were installed on Accords frequently

If I were you, I'd just get the camber kit and not worry about costs associated with replacing bald tires. I don't even want to get into trying to tow a lowered car in case your wheels blow.....
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealership usually dont like doing it unless they are the ones that installed the drop. i took my car to sears auto and they did it no problems. my car is pretty low with the omnis and he got it pretty good. he even told me the fronts were pretty decent and i dont need a camber kit for the front. if you can find a place that has the "Hunter" brand alighnment machines they will be able to do it. i had to get alignment cause this lady hit me from the side and threw my driver toe out of wack big time. the rear i need a camber kit he told me which i have but too lazy to install im waiting for these tires i have on now to kill them so i can change them out and put the camber kits on. but the guy that i was talking too worked at an acura dealership back in hawaii and said that he work on these cars all the time. but he got my alightment pretty straight so what ever that dealer said they are full of bull cause you can get an alighnment pretty good just not the camber if you dont have a camber kit. they can adjust the toe and caster but not the camber with out the kit if its dropped a lot. so take it too someone reputable. i am taking it too sears now cause i know the guys there..
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Whether or not a place can or cannot align the car could be for a number of reasons. They were mentioned already byt I am going to sum up a little.

They could mean:

1- They mean they can't align the car because you car is too low for their equipment to accomodate it. This could mean they can't get it on the rack, their sensors can't see around the car, or something along that nature.

2- They mean they can't get the specs in line. In which case you need to look at the specs and decide for yourself. Most places will "adjust the toe and let it go." Almost everyone knows that camber and caster are not adjustable on these cars so they just ignore those settings unless they are really bad or uneven side to side.

This would explain why one place might say they can't do it, and the other one does it no problem. Liability and other such issues are a good reason for a shop not to even look at modified cars. In the end, sounds like you got the toe adjusted and that is all that really matters. Toe is the culprit for most all suspension issues, including uneven wear, pulling, crooked steering wheel, wandering, and more. Camber is a pretty incidental angle. It is there to make the car corner better and having some more of it really does not hurt anything.

Marcus
Old 07-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
The dealer doesnt have the machine for lowered vehicles, it's some special machine that most speed shops or tires shops have.

That is not necessarily true. Dealers all have different machines. Some will accomodate lowered cars better than others, and some dealers employ better trained mechanics than others.

Also, someone referred to their local dealer as a "stealership." I know this is a common thought, but it really is not true. They are a business just like anyone. I have seen a lot more rip-off cases with independant shops than with dealers. At a dealership, you may pay a few more dollars, and it may take time to find one that you like, but in the end you will not generally get screwed at a dealer. There is always someone higher to talk to. Advisor->Service Manager->General Manager->Owner->District Honda Rep->Regional Rep......if you truely have been wronged, I am sure you can get things right.

That being said, the dealer is not always the best place to bring a modded car, especially if they are not a dealer who is accomodating to them. These guys are trained to make the cars function how they were originally designed. You will find that a lot of them are unfamiliar with our little internet circles of knowledge and theory. I have worked for dealers who embrace modifications, and some who despise them. Again, find the right dealer for you, we fair and understanding, and maybe even a little patient, and you will be fine.

Marcus
Old 07-30-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I know someone at town fair tire that can do my alignment for me. I'm probably going to get the camber kit for the rear. From what I have read in previous threads, the Eibach (made by SPC?) is "heavy duty", so I'm going to go with that.