Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers

Well guys, the time has come to need more low. I've been wanting coilovers for a while but wasn't sure if it was the right route for me, or if I should go the custom shock/spring route. But after weeks/months of research I've came to the conclusion of coils.

So... I've narrowed it down to about 2-3 brands.
1 - Function Form (FF), now I've read the type 1's can achieve max drop and the 2's are (correct me if I'm wrong) 16 way adjustable. The 2's would be more my preference as my 03 Type S is my daily.

2 - Tein. The street basis or advance would work well for my application based on other posts here, and other info I've gathered.

3 - Megan Racing. These seem really good for the price and I have a friend who had them on his gs300 and said he loved them. Not much research done on these but they seem well made.

So so I guess my next question is....WHICH ONE?? LOL I'm leaning more towards the FF 2's but would like some more input from forum members and the like. I also have top mounts apart from coilover that I will be installing with front end steering components and rear arms as well.

Any my and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,579 Likes on 6,628 Posts
TEIN. unless you want your ride quality to go to shit, I would stay away from the FF.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Derek

Received 143 Likes on 104 Posts
Depends on your budget, BC coils are great, but at the higher end of the price range.

Not sure that AZ has it on here, but I know on 6GA, there is a Suspension Review thread, that pretty much covers a huge range of coilover brands.

You may want to consider Ground Control coilovers with Koni yellow shocks.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
TEIN. unless you want your ride quality to go to shit, I would stay away from the FF.
This is what I've been hearing a lot about this brand. I think I will most likely get the teins since they're really the only coil who (IMO) keep the factory ride quality but can also achieve the aggressive, lowered, stanced look were all so fond of
Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SykVSyx
Depends on your budget, BC coils are great, but at the higher end of the price range.

Not sure that AZ has it on here, but I know on 6GA, there is a Suspension Review thread, that pretty much covers a huge range of coilover brands.

You may want to consider Ground Control coilovers with Koni yellow shocks.
Well, if the quality is $200 better I wouldn't mind paying the extra couple of bills to ensure quality ride/performance. Have you ridden in a car with the BC's? How would they perform against the street advance, tein coils? (I think it's their top one right above the street basis, if I'm not mistaken)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Factory ride quality from coilovers is something you don't want
The coilovers you are looking at aren't even fully threaded, only partial threaded. This means when you adjust ride height you are also affecting ride quality. You're not getting much when you go this route, just the name. These don't even go low.

FF2 aren't bad.
I've been on FF1 for a while and people say they like the ride quality. You won't really know what you like until you get in a car equipped with the part you are looking at.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I had tein basic (now called basis) on my old CL and they rode like stock. They won't slam the car like other coils. The tein advance have dampening and would be a great choice. If this is a DD and you don't care about performance then the basis might be fine. If you want to stiffen the ride up or run aggressive wheel setup then you might want the tein advance.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Derek

Received 143 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ua5_Tristan
Well, if the quality is $200 better I wouldn't mind paying the extra couple of bills to ensure quality ride/performance. Have you ridden in a car with the BC's? How would they perform against the street advance, tein coils? (I think it's their top one right above the street basis, if I'm not mistaken)
Yes, and from my discussions and research of various, setups, I am leaning more towards the BC coils, but more because of the stance I am going for.

I have heard alot of good things about the FF2, and there is a member who just recently purchase a set for his 2G, so, you may want to get some feedback from him as well, MidoriTL, I think his name is.

If you are looking for close to stock ride quality, then stick with the best Tein setup that will suit your needs.

The BC coils are for more aggressive setups, so, you might not want those, but for what is comparable to the Teins, it may be something to consider/rule out, when you do your comparison shopping.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
Factory ride quality from coilovers is something you don't want
I don't follow. Discuss?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Drifting

I don't follow. Discuss?
He said he wanted an "aggressive, lowered, stanced look". Imagine having a really low or "stanced" car with something close to the factory ride quality, soft, you'd end up bottoming out pretty often. If the car is moderately dropped, then a soft ride is reasonable IMO.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
He said he wanted an "aggressive, lowered, stanced look". Imagine having a really low or "stanced" car with something close to the factory ride quality, soft, you'd end up bottoming out pretty often. If the car is moderately dropped, then a soft ride is reasonable IMO.
AAhhh . I thought you just meant generally.

I didn't read that part of the OP
Old 12-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Drifting

AAhhh . I thought you just meant generally.

I didn't read that part of the OP
lol, that's what I figured. It makes sense to have a soft ride for a car with a small drop, but aggressively stanced and low cars need the stiffness.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned, and installed a dozen sets of FF Type 2s, and I have yet to have a single issue with them in regards to ride quality. The bonus of going with FF is that they use Eibach springs with their struts, so swapping out spring rates is a breeze.

I've always heard mixed feelings about Tein, but never installed or ridden in a car with them, so I have no comment on their quality. As for Megan/BC, no thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of drop do you get with FF2 versus Tein?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by therealjgall
What kind of drop do you get with FF2 versus Tein?
FF2 can get you on the ground
Tein's will get your fender liners on top of your tire. Anything that's partially threaded won't get you low. You need fully threaded coilovers to drop the car drastically.
I will never understand why people will buy shitty partially threaded coilovers, even from Tein.

Watch the video if you don't know the difference between partially threaded and fully threaded.

Remember, when looking for coilovers, look for the most up to date reviews and from people who know what they're doing (pre loaded and installed properly). Also, a lot of these coilovers come out of the same factory in Taiwan, you'd be surprised.
The following users liked this post:
therealjgall (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 10:06 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Not everyone wants to slam the car when they get coilovers. On my old CL6 I had to because all springs were made for automatics which are heavier up front so they sit high on the manuals.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have been thinking about coilovers for a while. Gnuts is right, I don't want to slam it because the roads around me are pretty bad and I'm not a patient driver . But the stock gap is gigantic.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:30 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SykVSyx
Yes, and from my discussions and research of various, setups, I am leaning more towards the BC coils, but more because of the stance I am going for.

I have heard alot of good things about the FF2, and there is a member who just recently purchase a set for his 2G, so, you may want to get some feedback from him as well, MidoriTL, I think his name is.

If you are looking for close to stock ride quality, then stick with the best Tein setup that will suit your needs..
yeah we just got our FF2 last week, working in getting the car back in the road then I'll be able to do a good review of the ride quality with lots of pics from install to driving conditions as well
Old 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Btw, anyone here running on BC's?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 AM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
well now that ive been driving on the ff2 for about a month now, id thought id do a small review of them. definitely go very low, lower than i wanted lol but the ride quality is great smooth transitions over most all bumps and bridges. i do bottom out sometimes but i plan to extend my shock tower caps to fix that but other than that i love them and would recommend them to anyone wanted good ride quality and super low stance
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 AM
UA5_PDX

Thanks for you guys input I'm going to make my purchase for the Tein Coils.