Coilover close to stock ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilover close to stock ride?

Hello. I am a newbie and have done some searching.

What ride is the best for someone looking for a nice drop with some height adjustability. I want the ride to be as smooth as stock yet tight feeling (car hs 180k on the stock shocks and it feels like hell!)

I saw some options

eibach springs with koni shocks

Ground control springs with neuspeed shocks (I have GC springs on my M3 and knowing me, I will get some ridiculous spring rate and then make my acura undriveable with 700 lb springs or something stupid)

Then I saw these Function and Form Coilovers, type 1. Do they ride similiar to stock? THe price is SOO cheap, its nuts I would rather buy something with height adjustability if they are the same price as a spring and shock combo.

ALSO while I am there changing the suspension out. Anything on the control arm side that I should replace since I am already there?

I did the two front ball joints already. I want to know if there is something I shoudl be aware of.

If anyone has BMW E46 questions, I'm knowledgeable there, I promise! I hate being a noob on forums but I just can't read all the threads anymore

Thanks to anyone that helps!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Intermediate

Found this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=wheel+spacer

So I have that covered. Curious how people "Space" oput the wheels, longer studs are necessary I take it.

Here is a pic of my M on the way to NJMP.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^looks nice.

def pick coils over springs. if you're into slamming haha. if you not. still pick them and don't slam.

I have springs/shocks (hr race/ koni yellow) only because I got a ridiculous deal on the HR race and then stumbled on koni yellow. otherwise I'd have bought FF1s
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
i think the general consensus is that Function and Form Type 1 are the best value you can get in terms of ride quality, drop, and price.

i also plan on upgrading to F&F Type 1 in another year or so.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There is also the Tein Basic/SS setup that a number of members including myself are riding on that provides a ride that is quite close to stock. It's a decent setup if you're not looking to slam, but after the experience I've had I won't be buying Tein again. If the F&Fs had been more popular or I had known about them when I was looking I would have bought those instead. One thing that I don't appreciate about Tein's products is the lack of built in top hats. I think it's cheap and considering how much the setups cost they should be built like competitor's offerings.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
Agreed with everything everyone has said, being a F&F owner myself I'm a little biased, but the ride is smooth, over the 2 setups I had prior to these coils I can say that they're the best of the three. From shocks/springs, to a set of NEX SS coils, to these, these were the best ride quality, and function.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a use set of Tein SS I'm planning to sell for cheap. I will be posting it on the BM as soon as I get a box to ship them in.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spoTLess
I have a use set of Tein SS I'm planning to sell for cheap. I will be posting it on the BM as soon as I get a box to ship them in.
how much? If its cheap cheap I might jump on it. $600 is very cheap for coils. Im kind of glad Acura parts are so cheap!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Racer

If you keep searching I am sure that you will be able to find coils for a good price. I got a set of used Apexi WS coilovers (extremely RARE now) from a forum user for less than 600.00. Too bad I no longer own the car, it was totaled in Oct. 2010.

I think the Tein SS coilovers will be relatively close to the feel and comfort of the OEM setup, but then you run the risk of the setup being too soft. If your setup is too soft you may bottom out if you slam the car.

With that being said that is why many forum users including 2nd/3rd Gen TL owners recommend the FF1 or FF2 because they are stiffer and the FF2 offer damping adjustment. Plus price and availability currently can't be beat.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VietGuy03
If you keep searching I am sure that you will be able to find coils for a good price. I got a set of used Apexi WS coilovers (extremely RARE now) from a forum user for less than 600.00. Too bad I no longer own the car, it was totaled in Oct. 2010.

I think the Tein SS coilovers will be relatively close to the feel and comfort of the OEM setup, but then you run the risk of the setup being too soft. If your setup is too soft you may bottom out if you slam the car.

With that being said that is why many forum users including 2nd/3rd Gen TL owners recommend the FF1 or FF2 because they are stiffer and the FF2 offer damping adjustment. Plus price and availability currently can't be beat.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. That def does. I hate soft ride. bottoming out is not fun. I decided to stick to FF1 and buy them during the spring. I will do that and ttackle the rear engine mount. Get the car running good. And if I am not lazy the timing belt as well.

The car had the TB done at 120k. car has 180k now but took around 4-5 years to get to 180k. I figured the time passed requires a new TB