clarify shocks/struts/coilovers/springs....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clarify shocks/struts/coilovers/springs....

ok, for starters i am a construction worker not a mechanic,,, my suspension is riding rough now on my 2002 tl type-s , 83,000 miles though out of it! I am looking for a nice set up without goign nuts, want to lower it a bit obviously. I just get confused and maybe others do too... the difference... i know what each are but which combos do i need? If i get coilovers, do i not need seperate springs, shocks/struts? if i get new struts , I still need to buy springs right? I guess just a little clarification would be the balls guys! thanks/.////// also maybe a good suggestion , i am currently looking at the eibach prokit,, 790$ for all for struts, 4 springs and a front sway bar? not too bad of a package...
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Coilovers include springs and struts, and are designed from the beginning to work as one unit. If you bought coilovers, then there's nothing else you have to buy (except for optional stuff).

Springs and struts can be purchased separately and you can put together a strut assembly yourself. The most popular combo seems to be H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow struts. Now the problem with this is that the struts and the springs may not be the most ideally compatible setup. The spring rates might be too low or too high, and it might not work well with the struts, also depending on their specs. But combinations like the one I mentioned above is proven to be a great setup, along with H&R Sport + Tokicos, etc.

Btw, why are you only getting a front sway bar??
Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks! now my head can stop spinning trying to figure it all out... i guesss this might become a poll,,, what do you guys like better ? individual struts and springs or the coilover combo? is eibach pro kit pretty solid> it comes with the fron tonly for some reason.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Depends on what you want and how much you can swing.