camber kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:52 AM
"IRidEDuMpEd" User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camber kit question

okay i'm wondering, if i installed the camber kit in the rear, and then got an alignment with the tires adjusted (from / \ to this more of I I) would the tires going over bumps or something hit the fender well?? Would i need to roll/cut the fenders? Help guys?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
It depends. It depends on your wheel/tire combination, the offset of the wheels, and how low the car is. A lot of times lowering the car and zero-ing out the camber results in rubbing on upgraded setups.

I almost NEVER recommend camber kits. Just get an alignment and monitor your tires while rotating frequently.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

If your tires lean in at the top .. you have Negative camber. It doesnt matter how many times your car is aligned or how many times you rotate the tires... if your tires are leaning in .. more pressure is applied the inside of your tire tread. You will wear the inside premature of the rest of the tread. My suggestion is dont ride ghetto with negative camber .. and get a camber kit. This will allow the tire shop to zero back out your camber and your wheels/tires will be aligned properly back to stock
Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zilverz
If your tires lean in at the top .. you have Negative camber. It doesnt matter how many times your car is aligned or how many times you rotate the tires... if your tires are leaning in .. more pressure is applied the inside of your tire tread. You will wear the inside premature of the rest of the tread. My suggestion is dont ride ghetto with negative camber .. and get a camber kit. This will allow the tire shop to zero back out your camber and your wheels/tires will be aligned properly back to stock

Tire wear due to poor camber angle is not aggressive. Many people lower the car which results in altering of all alignment angles. If the customer does not get an alignment to correct the toe angle, they experience rapid tire wear.

The visual camber change is often the wrongly convicted scapegoat for inner tire wear. A bad toe setting is a far more aggressive culprit to inner tire wear, even on cars that are not lowered and possess correct camber angle.

Having negative camber will promote a tire wear across the entire section width with a bias toward inner wear. Life of the tire is reduced by maybe 20%. Most people are fine with this and have no issues with TRUE camber wear. Indeed, increased neg camber in many cares improves the hadling of the car.

Toe wear manifests as a highly concentrated wear on the inner edge of the tire. Full section-width wear is not observed. The tire's outer edge is new looking while the inner edge is bald. Tire life is reduced to under 3000-5000 miles. This type of wear is oftened assumed to be camber wear, but it is not.

FUTHERMORE, even less effect of wear of any sort is experienced in the rear.

I do not feel that camber kits are need in general unless abolutely NO unever wear is desired. And for most enthusiasts are fine with a little comprimise in tire wear in the name of better performance and better wheel/tire package accomodation.

Marcus
-here to dispell myths
-I did not copy this from anywhere either
Old 11-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

i think i have negative camber too. my rear wheels are slightly slanted. i checked the tires and i have an even width of wear, its not too bad, very slim.

how do i tell this from toe wear
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marlboro27s
i think i have negative camber too. my rear wheels are slightly slanted. i checked the tires and i have an even width of wear, its not too bad, very slim.

how do i tell this from toe wear

Your tires would be aggressively worn on the inside. You would have a rather short tire life.

Usually the rear does not show any sort of advanced wear anyway since there is less weight, no power transmission, and no sterring back there. The front always wears out a lot faster than the rear....which futher confuses me why people are obsessed with fixing the rear camber.

Strictly from a tire-wear standpoint, camber in the rear is an insignificant factor. It sounds like some of you think that camber looks 'ghetto'. Well, maybe, but that is personal opinion. I like some camber. I think it gives the cars a sort of bad-ass racecar look.

Marcus
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by Marlboro27s
... how do i tell this from toe wear
If toe is out of spec, your tread will also appear to lose chunks of rubber. The more aggravated the toe alignment, the more loss of tire is evident. You should also notice slightly raised and rough tread section edges.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr.motoring
If toe is out of spec, your tread will also appear to lose chunks of rubber. The more aggravated the toe alignment, the more loss of tire is evident. You should also notice slightly raised and rough tread section edges.

I agreed but also do not agree....You get feathering of the tires from hard cornering wearing out the treadblocks unevenly. It has more to do with tread design and compound than toe. Cars with good toe could feather tires as well.

The effect of toe is more like......if you are trying to go straight and the tires are turned slightly you will be forcing them into a slip angle across the pavement, effectively shaving them away. This especially prevelant in high caster angle cars.

Toe should not be that bad as to feather the tires under normal conditions, but you may see increased feathering under cornering loads.

Anyway, the bottom line is that toe may contribute to feathering, but it most commonly presents itself as a highly agressive inner wear. Again, this is regardless of camber angle. Toe will have worn away the inside of the tire, even on the area transitioning to sidewalls, while the outside of the tire will have a lot of tread left.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
heres my tire wear...i got my H&R Sports installed october of 04 n had these tires since june of 05...i just recent got my coilovers installed 1 1/2 weeks ago...these tires r 5months old

driver side

passenger side
Old 11-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by z3Ro
heres my tire wear...i got my H&R Sports installed october of 04 n had these tires since june of 05...i just recent got my coilovers installed 1 1/2 weeks ago...these tires r 5months old

Let me gues.....you had an alignment done when you installed the Sports, and when you got the coilovers installed you did not get another alignment?

Tire wear is not best guaged by age since we all drive different roads and distances from eachother. How many MILES are on those tires?