Big Noob Question about shocks/springs..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Noob Question about shocks/springs..

Okay, I've done a lot of research, and I saw that illumina shocks work great with after market lowering springs. So from what I searched up.. correct me if I'm wrong, All I have to do is..

A-Buy illumina shocks
B-Buy lowering springs
C-Mate them together and voila.. I have a good suspension system?

I've already installed my vogtland springs.. took me 6 hours.. of grueling hell and this time I feel like just dishing out my own money to get it installed. But maybe.. just MAYBE.. I'll do it one more time tehehe =)

So my second question would be, how much roughly would they charge?

Yes yes.. I know I'm going to hear alot of flaming "U SHOULDVE SAVED YOUR MONEY FOR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME" blah blah blah I KNOW! My teenage hormones just couldn't handle the anticipation, but the drop that my vogtland springs gave me is just TOO low.. it's almost slammed..

So yeah, any type of help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
B A N N E D

also, what's the difference between shocks + springs and coilovers? Are coilovers just shocks+springs? lol.. you guys are gonna so laugh at this, but I'd rather be ignorant and ask, and then learn, rather than be an idiot and stay quiet.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Coilover = shock + spring ... but the difference is that the shock + spring combination has been engineered to work together. Buying any sort of shock + spring (different companies) may or may not last as long as buying the coilover to begin with.

Cost of installing shock + spring? Since you're putting in a brand new suspension set up, the labor to swap out the old suspension and install the new suspension won't be as bad as taking out the old suspension + disassemble to recycle the old springs + new shocks.

My 'guess' is about 2 hrs shop labor (very generous). Some smaller places should charge you no more than 1 hr labor (they have air tools and a lift -- it should take no more than 10 minutes / side). If you have access to a spring compressor and know what you're doing (from experience from the last time), it should take you about a couple of hours, provided that you preassemble the new suspension before ripping apart the old suspension.

That's my $0.02 ...

[edit]If you are recycling the upper hats to the suspension, it might take more time since you will *have* to take out the old suspension to recycle those parts. You know how to take off the rear seats to get to the rear suspension, right?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 PM
B A N N E D

haha yeah, I do. It took me a long ass time though.. rofl. It just took me a while to realize that you have to be rough with the seats.. (my god they pissed me off). But I don't know what you mean hats.. is it the thing that tops off the spring/shocks?

Also, is there any brand of coilovers (that are good quality wise) but cheaper than 750?.. Tein Basics are a bit pricey.. 900+ lol
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
T-Swzy

one more thing about coilovers, they come with ride height adjustability, some will also come with dampening force adjust. you can choose to have hard ride for smooth roads and fast corners or softer for bumpy roads and comfort. tein is a popular choice and they have Electronic dampening force control, you can change dampening on the fly with the push of a button.

what i would recomend is go to the acurazine meet forum and see if you can locate the area that you belong to. most of the people here are really cool, and will happily accept another owner into the circle. with that, they'll be packing expertise and muscle. here in minnesota, when any of our guys get mods, we fire up the grill and bust out the tools. if you bring it to a shop and let's say 2 hours, that's 120 bucks, a mighty lot of burger patties and some beer.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
B A N N E D

okay, razzi you got me there. 120 bucks is alot of labor cost. So I'd rather just do it my self, anyways its a fun experience.

So correct me if I'm wrong. I can buy H & R sport springs 1.75/1.5 and put it together with tokico illumina shocks and they'll work good? I'm also going to buy new upper mount hats for all four struts, can I put the three together and make a new suspension?

Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey WPD your not alone i was just thinking about putting new suspension on my TL and was wondering basicly the same question. so thanks for asking lol
Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 PM
B A N N E D

haha no problem man, I think I speak for most of us noobs when I asked these questions. And they're not dishing out the words "search is your friend" because for some reason the search only searches up a small fraction of all the threads that are supposed to be there.. anyone else with that problem?

P.S. Jaycohh, so what body kit are you going with? I'm hoping you're gona say the lip kit..
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea the search function is going great for me either..but im not even sure if im gunna get a kit now :X but if i can find the OEM front and sides ill buy it...i dont like the back enough i would still go with the sarona back..but after reading some things about the UR pullely and now the suspension is something i really wana work on cuase its like turning a truck now bleh..so its one of the two as of right now either BK or UR's and the suspension..
Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
B A N N E D

lol.. i guess no one is going to answer my question..
Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
if you want the best set up go with the H&R and Koni Yellow or Bilstien shocks.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
B A N N E D

thanks fsttyms1, but my question was,

I can buy H & R sport springs 1.75/1.5 and put it together with tokico illumina shocks and they'll work good? I'm also going to buy new upper mount hats for all four struts, can I put the three together and make a new suspension?

Or is there something else I'm missing?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Yes you can put them together and it will work good. Yes you can buy new top hats as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
B A N N E D

thanks. I'm going to order it first thing tomorrow... now to decide if I want bilistein or illumina's..