Basics or SS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basics or SS???

im trying to decide if i should get the tein basics or the ss? i know the ss are the better system but isnt the basics adjustable too? and if its also adjustable cant i use the edfc thingy to automaticlly adjust it? oh yea and where is the best place or site to buy some teins for a reasonable price? any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Ganji, Want some?

The Edfc can only be used on the SS. The Basic will only adjust HEIGHT, the SS can adjust HEIGHT AND DAMPENING
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VITEK
The Edfc can only be used on the SS. The Basic will only adjust HEIGHT, the SS can adjust HEIGHT AND DAMPENING
he said it if you have the money go with the tein ss
Old 10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Advanced

what kind of suspension do you guys have?? where is the best place to find some reasonable priced teins? ive looked online like the basics are somewhere in the 6-650 and the ss is runnin like 840-900.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by innovation704
what kind of suspension do you guys have?? where is the best place to find some reasonable priced teins? ive looked online like the basics are somewhere in the 6-650 and the ss is runnin like 840-900.
thats about average
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
trill recognize trill

thats about average
Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Depends on your budget.

If you can swing 1100-1200 for the SS and EDFC, then definitely go for it. But if you're not ready to spend that much, then the Basic will still give you a sportier ride with better handling and infinitely adjustable ride height.

But my advice is save up and go for the SS w/ EDFC. I mean, if you're gonna spend a ton of money on coilovers, you might as well go balls out. I would have a REALLY hard time parting with my SS and EDFC, unless I was upgrading to Zeal.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Arrow

yea i might just save a lil more and go with the ss and the edfc. is there a specific model of edfc or is there only one version of it?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Instructor

part no. EDKU1-10100 w/o pillowball upper mounts
part no. EDKU1-12120 w/ pillowball upper mounts

just depends on if u get ss-p or ss.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Relax!

won't feel much of a difference betwen the 0-16 settings on the SS. If your gonna save up for the SS and edfc just save up a little more and get better coilovers than teins, or just save yourself some money and go with the basics.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Advanced

well i heard the HKS dampers are pretty good but i havent heard any reviews bout it so im not sure which would be better the tein ss or the hks ?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Hows the ride for the basic??
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

Check the sponsored forums....or just click in my sig
Old 11-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Hows the ride for the basic??

The ride on the basics is best described as an excellent daily driving ride while being little firmer than stock. The Basics enhance the performance aspect of the car without resulting in a punishing ride on the street.

The SS pretty much ride the same, but you do have the option of going a little stiffer or softer depending on how you want the car to ride and handle. That is what make adjustable dampening a little nice to have at times.

Marcus
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Look, HANDS DOWN, TEIN SS is the best to get for our TL's. If you wana spend the money on a EDFC then go for it. Me personally, i'm not wasting money on an EDFC when i can just do it myself. Id rather put my money into other things. I just ordered my TEIN SS a week ago From EXCELERATE (vendor on this forum) and i got them today. BRAND NEW IN BOX STR8 from TEIN. I SUGGEST BUYING FROM EXCELERATE. GREAT PRICES!!!! I paid $860 for mine. Now thats good considering that some of the ones on ebay are 900 with free shipping. I paid $860 and that included the shipping so i think thats the best deal your gonna find Oh and EXCELERATE is an excellent guy to buy from. Really a premier business man on this forum. Reputable, Trustworthy, and great communication.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Look, HANDS DOWN, TEIN SS is the best to get for our TL's. If you wana spend the money on a EDFC then go for it. Me personally, i'm not wasting money on an EDFC when i can just do it myself. Id rather put my money into other things. I just ordered my TEIN SS a week ago From EXCELERATE (vendor on this forum) and i got them today. BRAND NEW IN BOX STR8 from TEIN. I SUGGEST BUYING FROM EXCELERATE. GREAT PRICES!!!! I paid $860 for mine. Now thats good considering that some of the ones on ebay are 900 with free shipping. I paid $860 and that included the shipping so i think thats the best deal your gonna find Oh and EXCELERATE is an excellent guy to buy from. Really a premier business man on this forum. Reputable, Trustworthy, and great communication.

SS best hands down???....well, I still think it is a matter of opinion. Ask yourself this....if you think getting an EDFC is a waste of money, why do you think that adjusting the dampeing at all is important to everyone? If one of my customers does not care about adjusting the dampeing, why would I sell them a more expensive kit that they don't need? They would rather spend money on something else than paying for the SS over the Basic. Even at $860, you are still paying at least $200 more than you would for the Basic.

Yeah, that is a great price for the SS. We sell them for around the same price. We have a lot of great customers here too with nary a complaint. I don't see what that has to do with our debate though.....
Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Racer

I have my Tein Basics, and I love them. Honestly I dont see myselft adjusting anything if I had the SS. But I have no complains or regrets, they ride great. People come in my car and complement them all the time. Even my parents say if ride good(and they compare it to the ride I had on my civic-i had nuespeed shock and tokico springs.) But overall the ride is great kinda like stock to me.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
But my advice is save up and go for the SS w/ EDFC. I mean, if you're gonna spend a ton of money on coilovers, you might as well go balls out. I would have a REALLY hard time parting with my SS and EDFC, unless I was upgrading to Zeal.
^REALZ

Originally Posted by 6MTpromises
won't feel much of a difference betwen the 0-16 settings on the SS. If your gonna save up for the SS and edfc just save up a little more and get better coilovers than teins, or just save yourself some money and go with the basics.
Better coilovers are for track use and I don't think anyone will be autocrossing their TL anytime soon. There's NO need for Zeal's or JIC's on our car believe me, I made that mistake on my Legend.

Look, HANDS DOWN, TEIN SS is the best to get for our TL's. If you wana spend the money on a EDFC then go for it. Me personally, i'm not wasting money on an EDFC when i can just do it myself. Id rather put my money into other things.
Wrong. There's a huge difference between 0-16/32. It maybe the EDFC that allows u to truly appreciate that but either way the diference is huge particularly with a car like the TL (sports sedan) where the weight and drivetrane are constant problems. Not to mention the ever changing road/driving conditions of the Bay Area make having the EDFC a must.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Comptech Freak

how do u know Tein SS is the best? you have not tried Apexi, Zeal....

Tein basic will bottom out easily, SS is better with a damping control, but the spring rate is not as firm as the Apexi

Zeal is the best and costs twice as much

and you can only say Tein SS is best for its money, definitely not the best
Old 11-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Tein is pretty friggin good......+ $$ does not mean better....+ spring rates does not mean better either.....

Teins bottom out easily? How low is your car? Teins ride and handle good on the street. Lets not confuse street setups with track setups....

Zeal is the best? How so? What makes them better?

Tein has a lot of advantages over the others....good established US market support being the foremost in my mind. Rebuild and revalve service is fast and easy. Warranty issues are a no-brainer. Try getting thse Zeals rebuilt. I am sure someone does it somewhere in the world.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
What, you buy an SS kit and that makes you a Tein expert?

EDFC is worth its weight in gold. I can tune the damping rates on the fly while I'm on the track, or to changing road conditions on public roads. It displays current damping rates and 3 presets.

Sure, you can do that yourself, but it's a pain in the ass. You have to get out of your car and do it. And for the rear, you either have to take out the seat cushions and lift up the rear dash, or drill holes. EDFC solves these problems, and provides the convenience and the quick tuning ability. A waste? Far from it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
What, you buy an SS kit and that makes you a Tein expert?

Old 11-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced

thanks for all the info guys but i think ima go with the basics cuz its a daily driver and im too lazy to adjust the SS.