Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ball Joint Replacement

I tried doing a search and also asked some of these questions in other threads/posts, but they never got answered. Here are my areas of concern:

1. What are some Ball Joint Replacements?
2. On the front, which ball joint tends to fail more, the lowers or uppers?
3. If I replace the upper ball joints, should I just replace them with a camper kit? If so, what kits are available aside from SPC?
4. Is it in my best interest to replace the lowers as well as the uppers when I do this?

Let me know.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
What your problem is?

Damn, no one? I hear fuckin' crickets...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
In my opinion:

1 Moog or oe ball joints are about the best.
2 I've seen both uppers and lowers go bad. Have someone who knows what they're doing check them.
3 Unless you're really dropped more than 2-3", you won't need a camber kit in the front. I had ingalls adjustable ball joints [made by spc], and they were shot at 30k miles. Ingalls warranty....1year, spc....lifetime. I don't know if this information is current, my experience was over a year ago.
4 I'd only replace the lowers if they are bad; there's not much overlapping labor.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my lower Balljoints replaced last week, The price of Honda and Aftermarket is a few dollars so i went with Honda

My uppers were replaced with SPC Adjustable

While you are replacing the Lower Balljoints, might be a good idea to replace the Front Sway Bar bushings, very inexpensive to buy and easy to replace while you have your ride up on the rack
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by BAPE head
I just had my lower Balljoints replaced last week, The price of Honda and Aftermarket is a few dollars so i went with Honda

My uppers were replaced with SPC Adjustable

While you are replacing the Lower Balljoints, might be a good idea to replace the Front Sway Bar bushings, very inexpensive to buy and easy to replace while you have your ride up on the rack
I am not really concerned with price more than I want a quality replacement. As in the case of endlinks the Moog endlinks own the OEM Honda ones, so I was hoping that there might be a balljoint that is of better quality and build...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Depending upon variables such as mileage, driving conditions, and if you're running stock oem rims/tires........I've only had the passenger side top balljoint go bad @150k. Everything has been oem and good roads. If you alter the suspension and rim/tires sizing, the added stress will take it's toll, the same as poor road conditions. Are you experiencing any shaking, noises or abnormal tire wear ? The best bet is to have an alignment specialty shop inspect the car if in doubt.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Depending upon variables such as mileage, driving conditions, and if you're running stock oem rims/tires........I've only had the passenger side top balljoint go bad @150k. Everything has been oem and good roads. If you alter the suspension and rim/tires sizing, the added stress will take it's toll, the same as poor road conditions. Are you experiencing any shaking, noises or abnormal tire wear ? The best bet is to have an alignment specialty shop inspect the car if in doubt.
Everything was good until I lowered on Tein SS Coilovers, then the suspension starts to make all kinds of noise... I got the typical clunks, squeaks, and now the chirps... I am replacing endlinks, bushings, and now about to replace ball joints to fix this damn thing...

I took the car into NTB for alignments and the morons there say everything seems to be in order and legit. I will try another repair shop, but need to find one....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

Question Price is Right

Originally Posted by indoMFP
I am not really concerned with price more than I want a quality replacement. As in the case of endlinks the Moog endlinks own the OEM Honda ones, so I was hoping that there might be a balljoint that is of better quality and build...

Unlike Indo..... My pockets are like Rabbit Ears. I am concerned about price. where can I get great pricing on Aftermarkewt parts. and they don;t have to be race part. I can deal with plain OE replacement parts.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Grippin' Grain

I may need some of this done too b/c my tires wear on the inside edge since I lowered mine and its been aligned and the printout shows the front alignment as perfect but tires are still wearing.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Drifting

^^There was a thread that fsttyms1 started and he stated that he changed everything and had it aligned several times and still had premature wearing on the tires.

I think it came out to be the whole rack or something like that. Pretty expensive to replace.