all-season VS dedicated winter tires review

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd answer question 2 before answering question 1.

Now ... do you "need" snow tires? Snow tires are like an insurance policy -- you don't necessarily need it but when you get into trouble, you hope to goodness you have a good one. Snow tires add traction ... added safety (provided you observe the laws of physics).

Most will argue that if you drive to the road conditions, you can get away with all-seasons. I'd agree with that (to a certain extent). No one will argue that snow tires will stop better in colder conditions than all-seasons (rubber is more pliable in cold temps) and has better gripping in snowy conditions.

How bad are winters in Seattle? If it was anything like Vancouver this year, then you should definitely consider winter tires. Hills with snow/ice = bad combination. Now ... I realize that last winter was a freak winter for snow in the Northwest. Most winters are fairly mild with the odd snow fall here and there. If you don't go into the mountains or drive too much on snow covered roads then you probably could get away with a good all-season tire like the Nokian WR (all-season tire with the 'snowflake'). I did that with my TL (and now my G37) and had no problems getting around.

----

If you've read this far, then I would probably suggest a snow tire like the Nokian WR (the new ones are the WR G2 ... supposedly 10% better in all dimensions than the previous generation WR). Has best of both worlds -- winter grip but 'all-season' tread compound so you don't have to worry too much about warm temps.

That's my
Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the reponse. I was looking at the Nokian, they had really good reviews but out of my price range. I was hoping I could get away for a snow tire under $100 a tire. I recently purchased the Falken 912 All Season but that was after the big snow storm.

Like you said the Seattle winters are usually pretty mild but if there is truely a big difference b/t a snow tire and an all season then I would go that route.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Fresher the Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay boys and girls, ADAC.de just published today their 2009 Winter Tire Test. The tested size that matters for us is the 205/55 R16 one, a translated version of which can be found here:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c..._55_R16H_2009/

Best snow traction tire was the Continental TS830. The popular Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D also received top honors and was the best of the tested tires on ice.

The brand-new Firestone Winterhawk2 was not recommended in both the 205/55R16 size and the smaller 185/60R14 size. Big disappointment from Firestone for a brand-new technology tire.

Bridgestone has the LM30 (and V-speed LM35), which was not tested in the 205/55R16 size, but which did very well in the 185/60R14 size. It looks like a great performance winter tire, but not currently availabe in the US. Damn.

I'm disappointed at the absence of three new tires, the Dunlop Graspic DS-3, the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2 (perhaps the best Goodyear performance snow tire yet) and the new Continental TS830P. If anyone catches a comparative review featuring one of these new tires, please post it ASAP.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are all all seasons mud and snow rated??????i have a set of toyo fz4 proxes and noticed they have m+s rating ...or do all all season have this
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Fresher the Better

Any all-season tire should have either the M+S designation or, better yet, the Severe Winter traction symbol (a snowflake in a mountain).

But merely having the M+S designation does not translate to decent snow traction. Rather, it is mostly a meaure of tread-to-void ratio:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire3.htm

Your FZ4s has an M+S rating, but perform poorly nonetheless in the snow because of it uses an older compound than modern-day tires, and it's tread design is more optimized for wet than snow. It has a minimal amount of siping.

This tire design came out a decade ago and I'm wondering what the date of manufacture was for your FZ4s. If your tires are more than a few years old, then just age alone and the natural hardening of the rubber will hurt its performance in all type of weather and conditions.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Pro

^^^thanks for the info...i have michlen alpin pa2 i use in the winter...there down to about 6/32 thread...debating weather to put them on or use the toyo's...they have about 90% thread still..barley driven on..buy they are old.no dry rott or anything...i dont have funds for new snows yet..maybe after the holidays..hope the snow holds off
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Fresher the Better

You're sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't in that situation. If the Toyo's are more than five years old from date of manufacture, I'd go with the PA2s. At least you know the rubber will stay soft. If the Toyo's aren't that old, then go with the Toyo's, because at least you'll get better dry & wet traction.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Pro

one more question for you...the wear indicators are the lil bands in between the thread ...correct...i know once a snow tire reaches the indicator the snow traction isn't that good anymore....if those are the indicators my michelins are still good for at least one more season i would gather...they are still above the lil bands in between the thread
Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by jp75
one more question for you...the wear indicators are the lil bands in between the thread ...correct...i know once a snow tire reaches the indicator the snow traction isn't that good anymore....if those are the indicators my michelins are still good for at least one more season i would gather...they are still above the lil bands in between the thread
You previous indicated that your winter tires have 6/32" left. They're done, so either get new ones or use the Toyo all-season tires.

Fore more info, read THIS:

"Tire Rack also recommends that drivers expecting to encounter snow-covered roads consider replacing their tires when they reach approximately 6/32" of remaining tread depth to maintain good mobility. Tires need more tread depth in wintry conditions to compress snow in their grooves and release it as they roll. If there isn't sufficient tread depth, the "bites" of snow that can be processed on each tire revolution will be reduced to "nibbles," and the vehicle's traction and mobility in snow will be reduced."
Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had 2 months with the new Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 Ultra High Performance All-Season tires, and I'm realatively pleased. I didn't have a lot of money to replace the Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31) Ultra High Performance Summer tires that decided to have a relatively short lifespan . . . less than 1 year. The biggest problem with the SPTs was they didn't like the cold temps and they ate themselves up really fast, so I went back to an all season tire.

So what do I like and dislike?
Like, Great Price and light weight I went a little bit on faith that Sumitomo's newly release HTR A/S P01s would be better than the old HTRs. Well, so far they've done well in the cold temps, but they haven't seen any snow. They also feel pretty good in both dry and wet conditions. On roads with grooves they tracked straight unlike the Falken ZE-912s and General Exclaim UHPs that wandered all over. However, the only downside is the sidewalls are a bit softer than I like, but bumping the air pressure up 2lbs helped stiffen them up enough to give me the amount of control I want. Mind you not as good as the Toyo T1-S which were the best handling to date.

Would I buy them again, maybe . . need to see how they do over the summer.

Ruf
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
living here in MN I can tell you that even in the worst conditions I have had no problem with all season tires.... like others have mentioned. driving faster than conditions permit = u get into trouble.....now if it was much worse I would get a dedicated winter driver...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
i am so smart S M R T

i am trying to decide between dedicated snow tires or all season, but because i plan on buying rims next summer i am leaning towards dedicated winter tires even though they seem more expensive
Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

As others have already mentioned, dedicated summers / dedicated winters would be the best of both worlds. Since you are looking at a different set of rims for summer, it would seem to make sense to install a set of winters for the current set of rims on your car.

And as you have already noted ... dedicated winters are typically more expensive than an all-season radial. Rationale: different materials used / less tires made ... higher cost to manufacture. It all boils down to your driving style and risk tolerance. Even the best driver in the world could use a little help with braking distance and grip from time to time with every day driving. You are probably a safe driver but there's no guarantee the person beside you is or not.

I think of dedicated winters as an insurance policy -- you don't really need it but when you do, you're glad you had it. I also consider if I have other people in car a lot ... any added advantage I have with stopping distance or road handling, I will pay to have that little peace of mind. I'm going to drive to the road conditions but at the same time, a little help here and there is always welcome.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your search. You'll be surprised that the price of some budget snow tires isn't that much different than premium all-season tires. You can always use tirerack.com as a point of reference to tire prices.

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
i am trying to decide between dedicated snow tires or all season, but because i plan on buying rims next summer i am leaning towards dedicated winter tires even though they seem more expensive
Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I Like Pie

so does anyone just switch out the front tires in the winter?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by dukie564
so does anyone just switch out the front tires in the winter?
With snows? Thats plain dangerous and stupid. The snow tires have that much more grip that the rears will want to come sliding out around corners and emergency maneuvers Always run ALL 4 tires when running snow tires.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Nokian WR G2 review

fsttyms1,

You will be surprised how many tire shops will suggest people do just that -- switch the 2 tires that drive the car forward (ie fronts for FWD, rears for RWD) and think that's a good move.

I'm just a little sad that my Nokian WR G2 aren't going to last a full 2 winter seasons. I was looking at them in the garage today. One pair are a bit over 6/32" and the other pair are barely over 5/32". I might go ghetto and run them this winter (I won't be doing 20,000 miles on them like I did last winter) and get a fresh set for next year. However, TireRack has a sale on outgoing Blizzak LM-25 in 225/50/18 for US$138 each. I'm torn.

As a summary of my experience of the WR G2 (235/50/18) on the G37 vs the WR G1 (205/50/17) on the TL-S, I will say I am very disappointed on the tread wear of the G2. The other driving dynamics cannot be fairly compared since they are for different car applications (RWD vs FWD). I think I drive the same, despite the ~80 whp difference.

The original WR lasted me a solid 4 seasons of winter driving on the TL. Mind you, the mileage would be around the 20k mile mark on them but I felt a little more planted on the original WR (this could be due to a 205 width tire VS 235 width).

With either tire, I was never stuck. I do have to admit, I almost got stuck in a horrible blizzard in a Toronto parking lot in my G. It took me about 5 minutes of rocking the car back in forth to get my G out. (Probably wore 2/32" off the rears ... LOL). I think I would have a better chance had I used a thinner tire with a dedicated winter rubber compound.

So ... I will say for future cars, I will definitely go with a true winter tire. I paid almost $1k for those Nokians, thinking I could squeak out 3+ seasons out of them. That will definitely not be the case. If I go with TireRack now, I will pay about US$700 for grippier winter tires. Since I will not be travelling to Toronto nearly as much as last year, I will definitely get more than 2 seasons out of them.

Hindsight = 20/20.

Last edited by derrick; 09-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

After 4 winters here in south-central Wisconsin with my 2003 TL-P, I am tired of biting my nails when it snows.

Currently my TL has a set of Yokohama Avid V4S on them, and they are great in the dry and wet. Snow? Not so much, which apparently is the experience other people on this board have had with those tires. Also, they are not wearing very well, which is disappointing, as I had Yokohamas on my Nissan 200SX and I had no problems with wear, even with spirited driving. My TL has two toddler seats in the back, so my spirited driving days are few and far in between. My wife's car is a 4-cylinder 2003 Camry with Goodyear Regatta 2's on it, and that thing will go places that AWD cars would balk at. It is absolutely the best car I've ever driven in the snow, and those tires have well over 30K on them too. It is truly astounding to drive that car in the snow, you'd think it was on tracks.

I have read the boards a lot, but I do not see a consensus on a decent all-season tire that tames the savage TL in the snow. Is that asking too much? (serious question.) Or should I bite the bullet and get a set of snow tires, and when the V4Ss run out replace them with summer tires? The wife has given me permission to buy snow tires this year, since our 1 year old baby rides with me virtually all the time. Just that given the performance of her Camry with 5 year old Regatta 2s, I would like to avoid the added expense of dedicated summer and winter tires.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

CanopyFlyer

Edit: Spelling
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Just bought these for the TL. The General Altimax Arctic. They are loved by the ice racers in our local SCCA. They are cheap too from the tirerack.
The first year or 2 i ran a allseason tire on the TL. Why?? Its the only car ive owned since i was 19 that i didnt have a set of snow tires for. I will never drive/own another car with all seasons again. There will be a Summer tire and a Snow/winter tire for it.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh and i cant comment on them in the snow, as we havent gotten any but i dont think i will be disappointed
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

I agree with you fsttyms1... im in toronto canada and I just put a fresh set of snows on today and the difference is night and day. with my other tires I was just drifting down my street. everyone should just save themselves the hassle and buy a set...well that is if you get snow where you live lol
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by achiava
I agree with you fsttyms1... im in toronto canada and I just put a fresh set of snows on today and the difference is night and day. with my other tires I was just drifting down my street. everyone should just save themselves the hassle and buy a set...well that is if you get snow where you live lol
im gonna have to believe u guys.. im headed back to NE with my tl so ill be looking to get a winter set myself here soon..
Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Well we just had a nice snow storm over the weekend. We got about 10" and this tire was unstoppable. The traction is 2nd to none (its the best deep snow snow tire i have driven) I drove into my work parking lot which had a 3' snow drift in it and i was able to plow thru it and thru about 6+ inches of normal standing snow. (and my car is lowered). It is also unbelievable on ice.

The only down side is the sidewall is soft. Im used to buying performance snow tires which sacrifice deep snow traction for more performance driving. BUT i can live with it for the traction they provide. Especially since i paid 87 bucks a piece for them (215/55/16)
Also they are VERY quiet.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced

I got a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 snow tires for my 2000 TL once my Goodyear Ultragrip GW3s wore out, and I have to say I've been blown away by how fuel efficient they are.

With the GW3s, I resigned myself to a 10-15% drop in gas mileage during the winter due to the softer rubber compounds of the typical snow tire, but on my way home to New Hampshire from Michigan last week, I got the best highway mileage EVER out of the TL - 32.9mpg!

I haven't had a chance to do much snow driving, so I can't comment on their deep-snow traction yet, but as for fuel economy, the X-Ice Xi2 tires simply rock.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

new tires for all season performance

I know it's winter, but for some of us on the west coast it's warm out and we dont get snow here in vegas, or hardly ever. I was wondering what tires you guys are riding on, im in desperate need of some new tires they're bald right now and my rears look like slicks. I almost bought some michelon primacy' at costco for 750 total but just wasn't sure if that's what I wanted so Im here double checking and looking to see what everyone is riding on for an all season tire. and I do drive a little aggressive. thanks for your help
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

Just an update. I purchased Michelin Primacy MXV4 all seasons. I was seriously considering getting dedicated snow tires, but I'm in southern Wisconsin, and the roads really don't get that bad, except occasionally, even then it is just a matter of hours before the crews clear them. I just couldn't see going the additional cost of two sets of tires for the car, especially after seeing my wife's Camry handle so brilliantly on Goodyear Regatta 2's.

My verdict is that the Primacy is a great all around tire. They power through deep snow easily, are very quiet, and so far are wearing extremely well, with about 9000 miles on them right now. I am very satisfied with them, and would buy them again in a heartbeat. Even though they were a tick over $700 out the door at Costco.

If I were farther north, then yeah, dedicated snows and summer tires would be the way to go. Around this area though you don't see a lot of cars on dedicated snows, although they are out there.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM
7th Gear

Is it ok to just run winter tires all season? Thinking of whether to change to all season tires or having 2 sets of tires (summer n winter). As I stay in mountain home, where it really snow crazy. What are the brand you guys can recommend?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by desmoacura
Is it ok to just run winter tires all season? Thinking of whether to change to all season tires or having 2 sets of tires (summer n winter). As I stay in mountain home, where it really snow crazy. What are the brand you guys can recommend?
Depending on how fast, how far, and how hot it is......... maybe. Here's my own experience: After driving at 80 mph for 2hrs in 90 deg. weather, I had a set of tires come apart in big chunks one at a time. These were studless Q speed rated, soft rubber snow tires.[think blizzak]
The other side of the equation is that I run 4 blizzaks on our shop delivery kei dump truck year round. It only goes short distances, and the truck tops out at 60-65mph.
You will experience accelerated wear in warm weather.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Almost that time of year again kids. Time to get them snows ready!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

Starting to look for a set of dedicated winter tires for my stock wheels. (03 tl-s)
I live in the Cincinnati area we don't get mass amounts of snow, but we do get enough to be an issue. This is the first year I have not had a winter beater, and the TL will be my only option. I am hoping to get a dedicated winter tire on my current stock wheels, and then get my summer tires (Envigors) on a 07 type S set.

So are there any deals out there right now? What are the best options out there this year?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondatool
Starting to look for a set of dedicated winter tires for my stock wheels. (03 tl-s)
I live in the Cincinnati area we don't get mass amounts of snow, but we do get enough to be an issue. This is the first year I have not had a winter beater, and the TL will be my only option. I am hoping to get a dedicated winter tire on my current stock wheels, and then get my summer tires (Envigors) on a 07 type S set.

So are there any deals out there right now? What are the best options out there this year?
Check the tirerack. They usually have the best deals on tires period.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 PM
7th Gear

Had a flat n un-repairable tire today! So got all of them changed to toyo eclipse! Wondering is it worth the $$$? Though its the T rating! But I don't think I'll drive it to 119mph!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by desmoacura
Had a flat n un-repairable tire today! So got all of them changed to toyo eclipse! Wondering is it worth the $$$? Though its the T rating! But I don't think I'll drive it to 119mph!
I havent personally seen or known anyone that runs them so i cant comment other than toyo usually makes a great tire.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Gonna go ahead and revive this thread. I was going to get some Blizzaks on the stock rims this weekend, but didnt have time to. But apparently Fatty likes the General Altimax Arctic.
Im in Michigan so we do get some bad snow here once in a while, but Its usually ok.
Any new suggestions?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

What part of Michigan are you from?

I'm on the Canadian side of Detroit area ... so we don't get that much snow.

I have the Blizzak WS-60 (not the new gen 70) on my wife's TSX. They do what they're supposed to do on some of the unplowed streets in Detroit when we go over to visit friends. The wear well and have good traction on snow and even decent control on ice. However, they are bit on the noisy side (well, not bad for dedicated winters) but do feel a bit soft on handling (they feel floaty when you go around corners compared to the OEM Michelin all-season tires).

I know that Hankook has the iPike series of tires ... I heard they're pretty good. Not sure if I have read any reviews specific to the 2nd gen TL and these tires. I also read about the i*cept Evo ... asymmetric design / 3D sipes / 'new compound' ... sounds interesting.

I have the X-Ice2 on my G37 ... so far so good, however, there hasn't been any snow / ice here so far this winter ... so I have no comment on how they handle.

Good luck with the search.

Originally Posted by Gabru678
Gonna go ahead and revive this thread. I was going to get some Blizzaks on the stock rims this weekend, but didnt have time to. But apparently Fatty likes the General Altimax Arctic.
Im in Michigan so we do get some bad snow here once in a while, but Its usually ok.
Any new suggestions?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
What part of Michigan are you from?

I'm on the Canadian side of Detroit area ... so we don't get that much snow.

I have the Blizzak WS-60 (not the new gen 70) on my wife's TSX. They do what they're supposed to do on some of the unplowed streets in Detroit when we go over to visit friends. The wear well and have good traction on snow and even decent control on ice. However, they are bit on the noisy side (well, not bad for dedicated winters) but do feel a bit soft on handling (they feel floaty when you go around corners compared to the OEM Michelin all-season tires).

I know that Hankook has the iPike series of tires ... I heard they're pretty good. Not sure if I have read any reviews specific to the 2nd gen TL and these tires. I also read about the i*cept Evo ... asymmetric design / 3D sipes / 'new compound' ... sounds interesting.

I have the X-Ice2 on my G37 ... so far so good, however, there hasn't been any snow / ice here so far this winter ... so I have no comment on how they handle.

Good luck with the search.
Im on the southern side of Detroit. We get snow here but its usually pretty manageable. But i look at my budget and cant really put down yet for some serious winter tires and my current ones are nearly slicks at this point any new tire would be a vast improvement. I am going to have to go with the Michilen Primacy mxv4's they seem to be ok and with some practice in a huge local ford plant parking lot (like 4 foot ball field huge) I think I should be fine. but the next purchase is going to be a set of winter tires then some awesome summer's.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
nokian WRG2 215/50R17, best tires i've had out of all my 19 cars...
the weather where i live goes from +30 to -40, lots of snow, tires are amazing all year round... if you only want one set of tires and not have to switch from summer to winter or winter to summer, these are the ones you should get.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Sok saBai jia dtay?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Falken Fiasco

Summer is coming up and it's time for new tread, but I wanted to share my experience with a new set of Falken 912 (rotated 3 times i.e. every 6 months) 205/45/17's on my TL-S. 90% daily driver, 2 long trips at 1000 miles each and 10% driving like, well... me. Tires are fukkin gone at 20K (They have a 40K warranty so that call is happening today to see how much credit I can get towards a pair of NON 912 tires.) I happen to know the NW distributor, and asked for info: NO ONE has had good luck with the 912's, and it has done serious damage to the company rep. Theoretically the 913 is reformulated and back to decent standards - so that might be my next set, but will not be my first choice. So if you see a killer offer on a closeout set of Falken 912's - best look for another offer
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Hi Folks,

New to Acurazine. My son received a 1999 3.2 TL in an estate distribution (Mom passed, RIP), with 46,000 miles on it. I think it knew it's way to the grocery store and hairdresser by itself. Anyway, it has Michelins on it-tread is decent, but I was thinking about getting an extra set of wheels, and putting dedicated snow tires on them (we live in Colorado Springs-steep hills that can get icy-yes, I know, right now, we are on fire, etc. etc.). I'm looking for advice on this one. I don't need expensive wheels. I just want to swap them out in October, and back in April. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Looking for a decent all season tire. I have been doing quite a bit of research and there are way too many options.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Nokian wr-g2... best all season tire without question. check them out...

Quick Reply: all-season VS dedicated winter tires review