Accessing rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Accessing rear struts

Hi all, new member so go easy:-) Have 2001 TL and want to replace all the struts. Can't find info on accessing top of rear struts. I assume the rear seat needs removed. Can someone point me on DIY of removal of rear seat? Tks!

I'm going with KYB Excel G's, appear to be a good OEM replacement, $61 on Amazon. If there is a different brand that is better let me know. Not interested in any adjustable shocks, just a good quality OEM replacement. I have 291K miles on car, bought new.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced

I guess no one is driving these old TL's any longer but me??
Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
take bottom cushion out. one push clip in each seat. in the middle of each seat, push down with hand...with other hand slip underneath cushion and floor..you will find the clip in the middle of seat. push clips to release.

after bottom cushion is out, time for back cushion. bolts in head rest and all along seat belt area.
once bolts are removed, manipulate seat belts and remove back seat cushion.
Now, you will have access to strut area.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Advanced

Thanks justnspace! I can't seem to find many choices with complete strut assemblies for this car for some reason. What is out there, I assume, these struts are most likely not good quality? Anyone know of someone selling the complete assemblies with new springs that are decent quality?
https://www.1aauto.com/acura-cl-tl-s...y/i/1asts00555
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I like your idea of KYB, as KYB has been in business for a long long time.

*edit!
Dammmn! went to go look at how long KYB has been in business and it started in 1919 in Japan! damnnn!!!!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I would download the factory service manual for the entire procedure to get the rear shelf out and access the struts, it's been a while since I did my struts but I remember it being a PITA.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks SuperGreg! Anyone have a link to the online manual? I'm doing the front struts first so see how that goes. It appears those are much easier. Bought the KYB's and spring compressor today online.

With almost 300K miles I'm sure other front end components need replaced too. Keep thinking the car will blow up one of these days but keeps on ticking. Never burns any oil either. Runs like a top. Only issue I ever had was at 135K miles the dreaded tranny issue surfaced. Acura covered half that cost to replace it so certainly can't complain at all. Also have a '13 TL too.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Replaced the front struts today, not too difficult a job. The spring compressor I bought from Amazon worked great. Yesterday replaced the serpentine belt too. Car was starting to overheat sitting in traffic and often could hear belt squeal. Also fixed my SRS light always being on by doing the paper clip trick to reset, worked like a charm.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
Replaced the front struts today, not too difficult a job. The spring compressor I bought from Amazon worked great. Yesterday replaced the serpentine belt too. Car was starting to overheat sitting in traffic and often could hear belt squeal. Also fixed my SRS light always being on by doing the paper clip trick to reset, worked like a charm.
Hey Grandlaker - wondering if you got around to doing the rear struts yet? I also bought the same KYB's as you for my '00 TL. I've got the fronts on; now just need to get the rears. I haven't been able to find a good Youtube video or other guide, but the online repair manual actually has a pretty clear diagram and explanation, both for the rear seat and for the rear shelf area that has to come off.

Were you able to locate the repair manual? Also, how are the KYB's riding so far??
Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Rears seem ok so not going to replace after all. Saw to many people snapping off the lower strut bolt on the rears so figured I'd call it good. After replacing fronts the car handles a lot better and no diving into corners now. Next will replace spark plugs and flush/bleed the brakes. Then I need to do the 3x3 tranny drain and fill. Really don't want to sink a lot of money into the car with almost 300K miles. I gave it to my son a few years back and now I'm shopping for a newer Accord for him, like a '14 - '15 model. He now has a one year old daughter and I want him in something more reliable and safer. Then I will take the '01 TL back and drive it occasionally where I live. I have no interest in selling it or trading it in. I would like to see just how many miles it will go before dying.
The following users liked this post:
Skeet33 (06-29-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced all four original shock absorbers on my 1999 TL with 218k with OE's. A few bullet points:
  • This was my first time doing any kind of suspension work other than watching my Fiat mechanic change out my shock absorbers off my X1/9 I had back in college 25 year ago. Having said that - it took me the better part of three days to do the job but I like to work slow and take lots of breaks. If you're short on time you can probably get a shop to do the repair with aftermarket parts for the same price as what I spent on Acura parts ~ 500 from oemacuraparts.com. I do it for the personal satisfaction and am in no rush so I don't mind how long it takes.
  • It's not necessary to remove the rear shelf - just the lower seat cushion and seat back - detailed write-ups are available. Once the cushions are out use the "flat rate method" to sneak a 1/2" 14mm deep socket on the back nut. I was able to get my torque wrench back there as well to get it completely right (incase you're into that sort of thing)
  • Getting the lower mounting bolts off were a breeze with an air impact gun.
  • You will have to completely destroy the rear stabilizer end links in order to get them off. I stripped the 5mm allen pretty much immediately and had to resort to the vice grip/hacksaw/impact gun method. This took several hours per side. Once I destroyed the right side I decided to buy two because it just seemed like a good idea. This didn't matter since I stripped the left side anyways and had to destroy it.
  • Once the rear links are out the struts come out pretty easily but you may need a rubber mallet to do some convincing.
  • On the final strut I stripped the 5mm allen in the shock absorber shaft. Used a hacksaw, chisel, hammer, pliers and a nut cracker to get the old nut off. Did all of that with the spring compressors on and compressing which was nerve racking to say the least. Please be respectful of the amount of force those spring compressors are holding back.
  • After the completing the first strut I decided to follow the instructions that came with the spring compressor and apply a few drops of oil on the compressor threads. Made compressing the other 3 springs so much easier.
  • Please don't use an impact gun on the spring compressor. It's just not worth it. I used a socket wrench. Took about 20 minutes longer per side.
  • Wear safety goggles. I ended up with grease and road debris all over my face from who knows what. The safety goggles kept that crap out of my eyes. I bought these awesome Craftsman LED goggles which were incredible.
  • If you've made it his far you should know that the car now handles incredibly. It's so tight and responsive. It really feels solid on the freeway. No more nosedives at stops and the tires have much better contact with the road. It really feels like a brand new car. Ok new-ish but still.

Good luck.

-Sohail
Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 PM
UA5_PDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello there, I just did my rear suspension work this weekend. Let me tell you, it was easier than I thought. You need to remove the seats, as the rear struts are located right on the head area of the rears. its really easy, you need to remove bottom seats first, which is easy, just pull up. next you need to get the 2 bolts on the bottom of the seat. You then remove the top section of the seats. then lift up the back cover, and boom you got your strut. Two bolts on each side hold the strut down. the difficult part, once you've losen up the bolts, its a female dog, removing the strut as you don't have a lot of wiggle room.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pdxnando
Hello there, I just did my rear suspension work this weekend. Let me tell you, it was easier than I thought. You need to remove the seats, as the rear struts are located right on the head area of the rears. its really easy, you need to remove bottom seats first, which is easy, just pull up. next you need to get the 2 bolts on the bottom of the seat. You then remove the top section of the seats. then lift up the back cover, and boom you got your strut. Two bolts on each side hold the strut down. the difficult part, once you've losen up the bolts, its a female dog, removing the strut as you don't have a lot of wiggle room.
Are you saying you were able to get the strut off the car without disconnecting the rear stabilizer link?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
UA5_PDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sysuleman
Are you saying you were able to get the strut off the car without disconnecting the rear stabilizer link?
My fault, no I did disconnect it. its impossible without disconnecting the Rear Stabilizer.