2000 TL loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 TL loose steering

lemme start by saying i just joined, took me way too long to figure out how to even POST something, and i know next to nothing about cars besides what ive read in forums online.

recently (april '11) bought my first car- a 2000 acura tl with 106ish mi. since then ive replaced the coolant sensor, timing belt & water pump, and just recently the two front tires.

got my tires replaced because ive been having this problem:
all of a sudden (it seems) my steering wheel is very loose. im aware that its winter but the feeling is consistent no matter what the pavement is like.

the best way i can describe it is that a left turn that used to take me a partial turn of the wheel now takes me an entire turn plus some. i can move my wheel significantly left to right while driving with virtually no movement on the road (compared to how it used to be). i can feel when i drive that its not a looseness between the tires and the road its between the wheel and the tires.

its a very uncomfortable feeling and of course others who drive it feel as if nothing is wrong (my mother... eh. and the mechanic i took it to who replaced the tires. which did need to be done but didnt help my steering at all).

its as if no one thinks this is a real problem, though ive learned from these forums it is. and i feel it every time i drive.

my real questions are- how common is this problem? i made an appointment for diagnostic with a dealer (i know i know) because i dont want to waste time bringing it to shop after shop that are unfamiliar with these symptoms.

and also, because im a noob, what should i be looking out for? what parts should i make sure to get a report on from the diagnostic?

and lastly because i am sadly on a budget here, what parts are most imperative to replace first?

thank you for all your help!!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard someone describe that much looseness on any honda product. Have your front and rear suspensions checked out by a professional. I'd recommend an independent garage or an alignment shop over a dealer or franchise. Ask friends for a recommendation. Other than loose front end parts, make sure the tire pressure close to recommended. Too much and you reduce the contact patch of the tire, too little, and the tires squirm.
The following users liked this post:
woobs (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
4th Gear

uh oh... thank you. ill look into a shop that specializes in alignments. as far as the tire pressure goes, having had them replaced yesterday i would think my mechanic had checked that. thank you for your response
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ I wouldn't bet that the tire pressures are correct. Often, a tire shop guy will fill all the tires he touches to some arbitrary PSI...which are NOT necessarily the correct pressures for the car.

Brand-new tires do not have the grip (steering response) of old tires, especially in the first 500 miles. So yeah, you'll have to turn the wheel more than you are used to.

Another thing: With "Low Rolling Resistance" tires more prevalent, you may need to run a higher pressure than before to maintain steering response. I just got new tires on the CRV, and the gas mileage is great...especially now that I'm running 4 extra PSI of air in them.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 AM
4th Gear

thanks, ill check the psi and the type of tire.

only thing is this loose steering feeling was there before i got the new tires. its the reason i took it to the shop and ended up with new tires.. and they do feel nice for sure, just hasnt helped the steering wheel being all loosey goosey. (yeah i said it)

id say if my wheel had always been like this it wouldnt be of any concern, its just that its a significant change from how sensitive it used to be.

now im constantly correcting my steering on the highway. and just to straighten out my wheels after a curve i have to turn my s. wheel significantly in the opposite direction.

i guess another question to ask- is any palpable change in your car a sign of a problem?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd look into bringing it back to the mechanic.

He should look for loose or worn front-end components such as tie rod ends, suspension bushings, or ball joints.

(I'm a bit skeptical about your guy though, perhaps get a second opinion before spending any big bucks!)

PS: Loosey-Goosey :gheylaugh:

Last edited by Carbuff; 01-28-2012 at 06:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
woobs (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

thanks! and yeah i dont think im going to go to him anymore..