18X7.5 42 Offset Wheel - Weigh In Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18X7.5 42 Offset Wheel - Weigh In Please

I have been doing "searches" for 3 days and read until I'm cross eyed and still haven't come up with a definitive answer, so please hold the "that's what the search button is for" comments! NSXNEXT suggested posting the question. OK, I got a 2001 TL and want to put on these Zinik Adrian chrome wheels, 18X7.5 with a 42 offset paired up with a 225/45-18 or 225/40-18 tire...I have NO DROP on the car and I may not because I use it for work and travel with 150 to 200lbs in the truck most of the time(Neil, that's my built-in anti SUV look method). I read about rolling the fenders and triming the plastic. My question, will this setup DEFINATELY rub with a stock suspension without fender rolling and plastic triming? I know the 40 series tire will be lower profile than the 45 but I did want a little "rounder tire" to fill a hair more fender well because of the option NOT TO DROP IT. I've read guys with 19's and dropped with no rubbing and guys with 18's wanting to sell their new wheels because they rub too much. I just love this line of wheels and have heard you guys telling other TLers to keep shopping for the 45 and higher offset, and I tried that as well...But I Love These Wheels! Is it worth the shot or is it a "NO WAY". Then, if I go with a 17" wheel, what would be the minimum offset on that size? Thanks to all you guys who put in their It's all appreciated......PS, what plastic area and how much should be trimmed if needed?....I got the fender rolling thing down
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I have 18x7.5 ET42 on my car with a one-finger gap drop all around.

I couldn't even coast down the street when I first put them on. They rubbed really bad in the back especially.

Now on stock suspension, I don't know. They won't rub under normal driving conditions, but if you have a load or passengers in your car and/or hit a bump or something, it will most likely rub.

My fenders are rolled and the bumper is cut basically all the way down to the bottom. Still, they rub sometimes.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:00 AM

Thanks PA for sharing....it seems that the custom wheel/lowering suspension thing usually goes together for the custom look and that's why I'm looking for this information in regards to NO DROP, but installing custom wheels. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I take it you must like this particular wheel. My question is, why not just get wheels better suited for our cars? Like getting at least a +45 or higher offset?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fluid Grease:
The +42 offset (unlowered) should be fine. But as Pure Adrenaline mentioned, if you go over a bump hard, or you have a couple of passengers in the rear, it is more than likely that you will rub. If you absolutely must get this wheel, then I strongly recommend that you trim the tabs and see what happens next. If you still rub, then you will need to roll your fenders.

Cjitty:
I assume that FG would have picked a higher offset if it was available. The fact that he knows he should have +45 offset (from his 1st post) suggests that +42 is the highest offset currently available for his much beloved wheel.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Racer

I would get a higher offset like at least +48. You guys running 18x7.5 and dropped do your tires rub against the fender??? I was dropped and mine were rubbing against the outside of the fender...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by patrick
Fluid Grease:
The +42 offset (unlowered) should be fine. But as Pure Adrenaline mentioned, if you go over a bump hard, or you have a couple of passengers in the rear, it is more than likely that you will rub. If you absolutely must get this wheel, then I strongly recommend that you trim the tabs and see what happens next. If you still rub, then you will need to roll your fenders.

Cjitty:
I assume that FG would have picked a higher offset if it was available. The fact that he knows he should have +45 offset (from his 1st post) suggests that +42 is the highest offset currently available for his much beloved wheel.
Hey Patrick...EXACTLY Right where I'm coming from.....I hear all you guys when it comes to your recommendations, that's why we all come here to share ideas about mods we want to do BEFORE we do them, if we're pushing the boundries of "out of spec"....I KNOW what is the correct way to do it, I'm just testing the waters here to see what other TLers think about my situation and if it would work .....then it's up to me to do it or not. I don't think Cjitty read my whole 1st post. Also Patrick, I saw that Tire Rack has their "house brand tire" Avon in a 225/45 18 (I also want an all season tire, no swapping season to season) so that tire is a hair taller, 1/2" more on the sidewall and an 1" taller overall, that stock as to fill the wheelwell because of my situation as not to drop the car. As NSXNEXT said to me in a PM, that with 40 or 35's, the car would look like an SUV without the drop. Thanks for the advice Patrick well taken.