VSA activation indicator stays on with VSA DTC indicator lighting up at 30 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA activation indicator stays on with VSA DTC indicator lighting up at 30 mph

Hey everyone! This is my first post but I’ve been using the knowledge imparted by so many threads for many years—so thanks for all you do!

I have a 2002 Acura TL-S at ~ 233000 miles. She still runs really well. I recently replaced the left rear wheel speed sensor and repaired the broken wire from the female connector. I successfully cleared the ABS codes but the VSA activation indicator stays lit and after I drive at a speed of around 30 mph the VSA DTC indicator comes on.

I’m fortunate enough to have a work buddy who has a high end scan tool. It revealed the code 84 (neutral position). I attempted the memorization procedure outlined in the tech manual. The manual reads that after successfully completing the procedure the VSA activation indicator will blink twice after two seconds and either go out or come back on depending on the existence of any other codes.

However, every time I’ve attempted this procedure the VSA activation indicator doesn’t blink and just remains on—so I’m unsure if I’m performing it correctly. That issue aside, the manual also describes a DTC troubleshooting procedure for code 84. The procedure mentions inspecting/testing the lateral acceleration and yaw rate sensors. Problem is, the diagram showing the VSA component locations doesn’t clearly show where either of these sensors are located (looks like somewhere under the dashboard, perhaps). Neither of the illustrations in the replacement instructions provide much help, either. I even looked through block diagrams on the online Acura store for a bit with no luck.

After that long-winded explanation, my questions are:

Is there a trick I’m missing about the neutral position memorization procedure?

Where in the name of Zeus’s butthole are the yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensors on this car?

Any insights would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: there is no response from the indicator when I press the VSA OFF switch.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 255 Posts
Seat back is usually referring to the rear seat; which is the only removable seat back in the car I am aware of. The instructions you are looking at explain to "short the SCS circuit before..." The devil is in the details.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM
3rd Gear

Which sensor is under the rear seat back (are they both there)? I'm planning to replace my struts this weekend so I'll have all that apart anyway. I shorted the SCS circuit using the OBDII plug pin 4 to pin 9 jumper method as well as the pin 4 to chassis ground method (I just ran a wire from pin 4 to the driver's door hinge). Neither method varied my results.