Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration

Vibration when accelerating right after lowering 2+ inches all around on springs and sport shocks. Has anyone ever experience this issue soon after? I already had it aligned as well as re-balanced all 4 tires. There is no clicking sound of any sort, only vibration that gets stronger as I accelerate, but when off the pedal, its fine.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Typically, it's one or both axles. The inner joint can develop a wear spot in the housing. When you lower the car, the inner cv bearings are now moving in and out of the wear spot, causing the vibration. I haven't found a definitive way to isolate which side it usually is. It could be both. Some people here have had new axles not solve the problem, or not solve it for long.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks TLer trash!

I just replace the cv axles on both sides about 30k miles ago. It was driving normal prior to lowering.. would they go bad that instantly, in a matter of a day? What are some other ways to tell if it is coming from the cv axle? I also heard some people mentioning the possibility of it being motor mounts.. I just replaced my transmission mounts since I just had it rebuilt right before all this occurred.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What didnt get put back together correctly?
On jackstands with a mechanics stethoscope is how you find CV noises
Ck the motor mounts- anything is possible!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it still corner as fast as it did before, and did you use adjustable coil overs or actual lowering springs? I've found that the TL is extremely finicky when you lower it, after I dropped my TL, I had similar issues. Could be the half shafts, lowering the car changes the angle of the half shafts, and the "only during acceleration" part is pretty characteristic of bad half shafts, also if the vibration gets worse the faster your going I.E. accelerating from 30 - 50 you feel the vibration but its not to bad but like 65 - 80 the whole car is shaking. It seems like there are other factors though too since a lot of people have dropped their TL's but the forum isn't lit up with the same issues. Since you dropped it you're putting different stresses on the suspension parts now, I've heard people complain that when the radius arm bushings go bad that this can also cause a vibration in the front end. You may just want to give the rest of the suspension a good look over. The last thing I could think of would be a long shot, and that would be if when the mechanics that rebuilt you tranny weren't really careful when they put it back it back in, its possible they may have shifted the sub frame slightly, The sub frame can be shifted slightly when you're installing it, but this is pretty unlikely, since your caster or thrust angle wasn't out when you had it aligned.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 32tl00tuneacura
Does it still corner as fast as it did before, and did you use adjustable coil overs or actual lowering springs? I've found that the TL is extremely finicky when you lower it, after I dropped my TL, I had similar issues. Could be the half shafts, lowering the car changes the angle of the half shafts, and the "only during acceleration" part is pretty characteristic of bad half shafts, also if the vibration gets worse the faster your going I.E. accelerating from 30 - 50 you feel the vibration but its not to bad but like 65 - 80 the whole car is shaking. It seems like there are other factors though too since a lot of people have dropped their TL's but the forum isn't lit up with the same issues. Since you dropped it you're putting different stresses on the suspension parts now, I've heard people complain that when the radius arm bushings go bad that this can also cause a vibration in the front end. You may just want to give the rest of the suspension a good look over. The last thing I could think of would be a long shot, and that would be if when the mechanics that rebuilt you tranny weren't really careful when they put it back it back in, its possible they may have shifted the sub frame slightly, The sub frame can be shifted slightly when you're installing it, but this is pretty unlikely, since your caster or thrust angle wasn't out when you had it aligned.
Sorry to hijack but what would be a good ride height to not get all the vibrations? Like an inch or inch and a half drop?