AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   Transmission solenoid/front shcok absorber (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/transmission-solenoid-front-shcok-absorber-643785/)

DavidLV 07-24-2008 11:01 AM

Transmission solenoid/front shcok absorber

I have a 1999 3.2 TL and it has 92,000 miles on it. The mechanic noted that it has a front shock absorber leak and price would be $220 to fix and also a transmission solenoid leak that would be $330 to fix. I have always had a very small what looked like oil leak after parking the car but thinking all along it might be the transmission solenoid leak. I always had the dealer service the car and they never mentioned anything and this is first time I have this deal alternative which is a shop that works on japaneze cars only. I had oil changed and transmission fluid changed, not flushed. Are these two things something that needs to be fixed right away? Thanks.

01tl4tl 07-24-2008 11:33 AM

first- find out what fluid was used in the trans
If it was anything by the Honda fluid, get a refund and have it all changed back to the right stuff

front shock absorber- do you mean the front motor mount is leaking- that happens a lot- part is $120! labor about 1 hour
trans selenoid- have a trans specialty shop look at it for you

acutee 07-24-2008 02:39 PM

If you have shock leak and solenoid, I don't think these two problems are urgent things, but it is best to fix it as soon as possible. One small faulty could lead to another damage.

fsttyms1 07-24-2008 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by acutee
If you have shock leak and solenoid, I don't think these two problems are urgent things, but it is best to fix it as soon as possible. One small faulty could lead to another damage.

What are you talking about? A worn or bad shock can impact the handling and safety of a car. Not to mention put excessive wear on tires and other components. Replace all the shocks and not just 1.

01tl4tl 07-24-2008 03:59 PM

I think the OP means it has a leaking front motor mount- that would explain the odd fluid under the car--not a leaking shock absorber-
you know- that other thing--- that absobs motor shocks!

TL Type S fan 07-24-2008 10:43 PM

So are motor mounts typically go out often? I have the front and right side leaking on mine. They are qouting me 344. It seems high?

acutee 07-25-2008 10:20 AM

acutee 07-25-2008 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
What are you talking about? A worn or bad shock can impact the handling and safety of a car. Not to mention put excessive wear on tires and other components. Replace all the shocks and not just 1.

Many drivers have bad shocks that they are not aware and are still driving it. I had bad oem shocks at 40k, dealer refused to replace, drove it another 10k, and decide to replace them due to poor handling. The point is you don't have to fix it at that moment like flat tire, brake failure, overheating, etc.

You can wait til tomorrow. it is not something it has to be done now, and sure one small damage can lead to another if it is not taking care accordingly.

totaledTL 07-25-2008 10:40 AM

Lol just witness the number of cars pogoing as they hit bumps.