AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/)
-   -   Transmission recall (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/transmission-recall-921785/)

zombiegumball69 11-24-2014 01:35 PM

Transmission recall

So I have a 00 tl and I have transmission problems similar to what is is stated in the recall description, but since my car has over 100,000 miles and is over 7 years old I am not eligible for the recall. Is there anything I can do other than just wait till my transmission goes out? Any help even small would be greatly appreciated.

kennelm 11-24-2014 03:52 PM

What recall? You mean the clutch pack "band aid" recall?

3.2TLc 11-24-2014 04:24 PM

Keep the tranny's fluid clean.Perform a drain & fill using Honda DW1.
Replace the spin on ATF filter and clean the solenoid screens.
Check around for a donor "AV6" tranny.

01tl4tl 11-24-2014 05:02 PM

hang on- lets be clear- the recall was to inspect 2nd gear for heat damage- visible thru the ATF filler hole on top of trans
If no damage was found they installed an external sprayer- you will see a black hose going to the normal atf filler hole- that fixed the problem of 2nd gear breaking on freeway and you went from 5th to 2nd gear at freeway speed

the other issue was a court ordered extended warranty for the clutch pack wearout (trans slips like a manual trans clutch failure) that we are well past

Does your car have the external jet kit installed, or on top of trans are there bolts heads painted blue?

Which symptoms are you having

call or drop by the dealer with the cars VIN and ask them to run its history
recalls will be noted and trans replacement if done

zombiegumball69 11-25-2014 12:16 AM

Basically when im driving my car shifts into either 3rd or 4th maybe both my car wont shift and you can feel the whole car rumbling in the process it lasts for about 5-10 or until I completely let off the gas. Happens whether I accelerate fast or slow.

3.2TLc 11-25-2014 07:17 AM

Rumbling.....rough shift

Originally Posted by zombiegumball69 (Post 15247817)
my car wont shift and you can feel the whole car rumbling in the process
it lasts for about 5-10 or until I completely let off the gas

:ugh: Have ya tried using the sport shift or D4 ?
What all have ya tried so far ? Sounds like ya need to look for a donor "AV6".

01tl4tl 11-25-2014 10:40 AM

whats the answers to my questions? it will help us diagnose to know if you have the oil jet kit or a replaced trans or original with no jet kit

How does current fluid look and smell?

I'm with the use of D4 in town- and stop and go traffic below 45mph
that keeps it from hunting in and out of 5th at a shift point

Just because: ck the motor and trans mounts
front and rear motor mounts are fluid filled and vac boosted!

a 3 ounce sample of drained atf sent to blackstone labs with 20 dollars will find whats floating around- metal bits- clutch particles etc, it will tell all~

davedas90 11-26-2014 09:47 AM

I have a 2003 TL since new. I started haveing that same problem When that happens I start using it as a manual trans so far so good about 3 yrs now and no sign of other problems.Keep it clean .

fsttyms1 12-01-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by kennelm (Post 15247324)
What recall? You mean the clutch pack "band aid" recall?

There was NO clutch pack bandaid recall. The Recall was for the oiljet which was ONLY for the 2nd gear shaft. NOT the clutch pack issue. That only got the extended warranty.

BigSaveDave 12-04-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc (Post 15247895)
:ugh: Have ya tried using the sport shift or D4 ?

I exclusively use SelectShift on my 2002 TL-base. I tried using the automatic, but it yanked too much when shifting gears. This way I can control the shift and let off the gas when shifting. It may be excessive, but it's the smoothest move from 2-3, 3-4, or even 4-5. I'm hoping this will prolong my transmissions life and prevent the grinding/yanking/chewing of whatever is going on with these bad transmissions.

01tl4tl 12-04-2014 05:57 PM

are you using the newer dw-1 atf from Honda?

3.2TLc 12-05-2014 06:55 AM

Grind, yank and chew ........

Originally Posted by BigSaveDave (Post 15257364)
I tried using the automatic, but it yanked too much when shifting gears. I'm hoping this will prolong my transmissions life and prevent the grinding/yanking/chewing of whatever is going on with these bad transmissions.

:ugh: Sounds like your car's tranny is headed for problems.
Check the tranny's fluid's level and condition. Perform a drain & fill of the ATF, using DW1.
Check pan's drain plug magnet for residual fines. Try cleaning the various solenoids.

Start sourcing a donor "AV6" to replace the ailing old tranny.