Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008 | 11:03 AM
Team Owner

acura does not HAVE to do anything for you out of vin cars!!!!- BUT they do something in most cases- 60 percent is better than 4 grand!

One thing they are starting to look for is proof of a trans fluid change-somewhere-in the cars history
No that doesnt get done with the recall install of external oiler jet kit!!!
Its up to the owner to have it done

At least you are getting some help, and a new trans is like driving half a new car- give it some spark plugs and clean the manifold-
then your TL should just keep running..........
Old 11-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kendalisa
I called the 800 number and was given a case worker. the next day the dealership calls back and says 50\50 split i told them i would call my case worker. I tell him loyal honda customer 3rd he asks for vin number I also say that i have had work done for them to check it out. Yesterday I get call frrom case worker he says the district manager is only willing to go 50\50 split but to resolve he says acura will go 60%. I talk to him for long time finally he agrees 70 %. That is the best they will do. I take it. This is the last time I will buy honda/acura. Where did i go wrong? They told me no service history, Although had items repaired and was third owner on car. Even though second owner was a dealership. Where did I go wrong? I am very upset about this.
I don't think you went wrong at all. You did great. Acura's giving you 70% coverage for a transmission that was out-of -warranty. Acura could have said "Sorry, it's out of warranty and you're entirely on your own." My guess is that most other car manufacturers would have done just that.

Best of luck with the new transmission. Because it incorporates the improvements made in February of 2005, it may well last a long time.
Old 11-22-2008 | 02:54 PM
Team Owner

just a note for the newcomers to the thread:
other brands like vw &audi run a similar trans to the TL, and when it dies after 50k miles, no warranty- no discussion -4 grand please~
anything acura will do after the court ordered extension limits is totally GOODWILL
A thank you note to whomever helped you along the way at acura is greatly appreciated.

On the customer survey that comes with your receipt- name anyone specific, and give them 10s in each area- if you are satisfied- if not satisfied- dont leave until you are!- let the service manager what score you gave them!
Those are each reviewed BY CORP and affect paychecks- good or neg
plus you may get a phone call from the SM about negative feedback or problems reported to corp
They really do want happy customers- those who tell 2 friends to buy an acura~
Why anyone would speak ill of a company that still takes care of them....
Old 11-23-2008 | 11:17 AM
Racer

Deja Vu

Tranny has slipped twice in the past two days. Almost got me rear ended since the car coming up behind me was moving right along.

It's acting just like the first one did before it left me stranded.

I'm the original owner ('03 TLS) and am sitting at ~92K miles on the car. The first tranny was replace @25K or so. I had hoped that would be the end of my transmission issues with this car.

Just what I need with holiday season quickly approaching.
Old 11-24-2008 | 10:16 PM
7th Gear

i have an 03 TL-P that was originally sold in the US, i in Canada and the car has 51K and a rebuilt title, i experienced some slipping over the weekend. dou you think if i take to an Acura dealer here they will do anything for me?
Old 11-24-2008 | 11:00 PM
Team Owner

barrtown- sorry- rebuilt title means the same as salvage- which means NO trans warranty for you at all- its aamco for you, or pm SodaLuvr- he has a line on rebuilts for under a grand

bozzchem- get to the dealer immediatly- tell them the same thing- slipping badly,nearly hit on freeway!!
What was the date trans was replaced before- probably before mid 2005?
there were changes that greatly improved the lifespan made around then.

If covered vin to 109k miles- get in the loaner car and drive away~

have them check if you were part of the timing belt pulley recall and get that done too!
if thats the case- pay for the water pump install while they have removed everything in front of it~
If not `covered vin`- read back a few pages of my post, I used to be in the biz and have written all you need to know to get free or extreme Goodwill from acura
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:30 PM
Advanced

sorry I'm a noob... but I bought my 03acura TL at 92000 he changed the timing belt, and water pump and did some check ups.

BUT

Does everyones tranny go out? how much does one cost? How would I tell if it has been replaced?

also... I believe I have a clean title car. but where would I look make sure it is.

Last edited by ukemasta; 11-25-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:53 PM
Team Owner

register with acura at 1-800-382-2238 x5 need cars VIN for that
and here too http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
you can look in the recall section to see whats been done on your car or what may still need to be done
If it says trans warranty extension--thats good!
in mid year 03 production date is the vin cutoff- you can read about that
maybe 3 to 10 % of all the cars made have the trans failure- it seems higher in here because its a help forum

On your cars title-owner slip it will say rebuilt or salvage if it is
otherwise its just clean Title
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:55 PM
Team Owner

a quick check for trans replaced under warranty is look under the front of the car- driver side. If the bolts holding the transmission together are painted blue- its really obvious- thats a replacement unit

There is also a recall for an oil jet kit and if trans has heat damage- that gets a free new trans
Call acura in the morning
Old 11-25-2008 | 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jmonty1999
I posted for the first time several days ago about my 2003 TL - S and the transmission failure at 65K. My car was not part of the warrantee extension but was included in the oil jet fix recall. I was originally made an offer at an Acura dealer from the Regional Acura Rep with a 50/50 split which they estimated would be roughly $2,200 for my portion. I thought that amount was totally rediculous to have to pay so using the advice of some other posters I contacted Acura client services and was assigned a Case manager. According to the Case manager he was working for me to get the transmission replaced at an amount that I found reasonable. I told him to shoot for 100% coverage but in the event that didn't work I would be willing to fork over an additional few hundred dollars (It costs me roughly $300 before I even got it to the Acura dealer after having it towed to a local Honda dealer and having getting the initial diagnostics done and then having to have it towed to the nearest Acura dealer). Well to my surprise the Case manager was able to negotiate a reasonable cost for me. He told me that he went through several Acura Reps before he got an offer that he thought was reasonable. From the original $2,200 they made offers of $1,500, then $1,200, then $900 and finally came back at $450. Although I don't think I should be stuck with paying anything for a clearly defective transmission I decided to accept the offer. The $450 offer also included a 3yr/36,000 warrantee so I was very happy about that. When I actually picked up the vehicle the bill was $100 less than the offer, that is definitely a first for me!!!! so far so good. The car shifts very smooth but as other posters have mentioned the shift points are much lower than my previous transmission. The car will be in 4th gear before 40mph and 5th before 50mph, but as long as it works.
As advice to other members is not to accept the dealers or Acuras first offer. I believe they have a protocall set up where they make an offer and see if you accept it and then a 2nd offer and so on. I would definitely use Acura Client Services to help negotiate a deal. I can't say it will work for everyone but it seemed to work for me. Thanks to other members for your advice.

I actually found the opposite to be true in my case. car holds gears longer than it did before..... the very first 1-2 shift is delayed but everything else is OK
Old 11-26-2008 | 01:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
register with acura at 1-800-382-2238 x5 need cars VIN for that
and here too http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
you can look in the recall section to see whats been done on your car or what may still need to be done
If it says trans warranty extension--thats good!
in mid year 03 production date is the vin cutoff- you can read about that
maybe 3 to 10 % of all the cars made have the trans failure- it seems higher in here because its a help forum

On your cars title-owner slip it will say rebuilt or salvage if it is
otherwise its just clean Title

Thanks for the help... I appreciate it
Old 11-26-2008 | 10:23 AM
Team Owner

when the engine is cold- part of its warm up system is to hold 1st and 2nd gear longer- to a higher rpm, and shifts a touch rougher, just for the first few minutes
Once temp is reading anything the system goes back to normal

It wants to warm the engine as fast as possible- so it can run on the lean fuel cycle and get low emissions
When cold it runs rich- lots of fuel
Old 11-26-2008 | 10:26 AM
Team Owner

To those with fresh trans-
be nice to it the first 500 miles, light to medium use, no redline runs at full throttle shifts!
Let the parts mesh, then you can have more fun
Do make sure it shifts right and SS mode works
500-1000 miles, more normal to aggressive driving if desired.
then drive as normal.
If any probs are in the build itself- they usually show up in that time.
Old 11-26-2008 | 10:34 AM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
To those with fresh trans-
be nice to it the first 500 miles, light to medium use, no redline runs at full throttle shifts!
Let the parts mesh, then you can have more fun
Do make sure it shifts right and SS mode works
500-1000 miles, more normal to aggressive driving if desired.
then drive as normal.
If any probs are in the build itself- they usually show up in that time.
So no seafoaming within the first 500? Dang, I guess I already messed that up.
Old 11-26-2008 | 10:47 AM
Team Owner

you wont hurt anything doing seafoam to the engine- its not put in the trans, and you probably didnt full redline run it if you followed the DIY

IMO-always leave 1000 rpm when foaming- lots of stuff coming loose and blowing around inside the chambers

Acura does not make the same suggestion I do- they say drive it and enjoy
As someone who builds things that move- I believe in taking it easy at first
Old 12-01-2008 | 05:28 PM
Racer

Took the car in today and the trans didn't slip while they test drove it. Actually hasn't slipped on me in the past 4 days. On a side note, they pointed out that my front left wheel bearing was bad ($350), the front motor mount was cracked ($320) and it was time for the timing belt change ($780).

I can't pay $350 for a g-d wheel bearing change. I can't imagine it's that much more complex than other cars I've changed them on. Hell, if the race isn't worn, it should be a quick replace of just the bearing. I'll have to get under and look at the motor mount to see how bad a job that would be. I haven't decided yet if they'll be doing the timing belt or not.

When it rains, it pours!

As far as the tranny goes, I'll just have to wait and see if it starts slipping again...or it'll leave me stranded like last time.
Old 12-01-2008 | 07:50 PM
Team Owner

the front motor mount is a common failure and will make it feel like a trans problem in rough shifting'
WONT cause trans slipping~
motor mount is approx $120 for the part!!!- and you can DIY it, about 1-1.5 hours maybe less- they charge probably 2-3 hours --its 20 minutes when the trans is removed

wheel bearing- you mean you need a cv axle assembly in the front left?

if the cv-axle-wheel bearing wore out, it probably sustained a curb hit or similar wear
What year is your car?
should be less than $100 for a complete assembly at parts store- even brand new not rebuilt! and an hour labor plus an alignment- assuming curb hit

A private honda/acura specilist shop needs to be found in your town- look in the phone book for one with an acura in the ad

105 service- whats your actual car age and mileage?
Old 12-01-2008 | 09:30 PM
Keep It Simple in

Originally Posted by newperson
So no seafoaming within the first 500? Dang, I guess I already messed that up.
Lol man, seafoam has nothing to do with the transmission. It cleans THE ENGINE from carbon build-up. Do it whenever you feel like doing it.
Old 12-04-2008 | 02:45 PM
9th Gear

Dealership renegs on a goodwill offer replacement of the transmission. Please help

I brought my car to the dealership a few weeks ago when the transmission started to slip. The dealership called back and indicated that Acura is willing to pay for the parts and I have to pay for the $1100 labor. I told them at the time that I would need a few weeks to save enough for the labor and was told by the assistance service manager that it's not a problem "just bringi the car in for the service when I have the money". Well I call the dealership yesterday to schedule the service and was informed that the assistance service manager that I was dealing earlier is no longer with them and that they can not honor what he had promised earlier. Could anyone please tell me what recourse do I have at this point? I assume that when the Acura district manager had agreed to waive the cost of the replacement transmission earlier, there has to be some record of that decision. I just don't know where to begin. I should also add that when the dealership call me back today, they had a list of maintainance works to be done and implied that if I get these done then they might be able to do something about the cost of the new transmission. Seem very shady.

Thanks in advance for the board's guidance.
Old 12-04-2008 | 03:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by peewee
I brought my car to the dealership a few weeks ago when the transmission started to slip. The dealership called back and indicated that Acura is willing to pay for the parts and I have to pay for the $1100 labor. I told them at the time that I would need a few weeks to save enough for the labor and was told by the assistance service manager that it's not a problem "just bringi the car in for the service when I have the money". Well I call the dealership yesterday to schedule the service and was informed that the assistance service manager that I was dealing earlier is no longer with them and that they can not honor what he had promised earlier. Could anyone please tell me what recourse do I have at this point? I assume that when the Acura district manager had agreed to waive the cost of the replacement transmission earlier, there has to be some record of that decision. I just don't know where to begin. I should also add that when the dealership call me back today, they had a list of maintainance works to be done and implied that if I get these done then they might be able to do something about the cost of the new transmission. Seem very shady.

Thanks in advance for the board's guidance.
What year is your TL and how many miles are on it?

Is it a salvage title?

You might want to call Acura's national customer care number and have them assign a case number. Give them the entire story.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2008 | 03:39 PM
9th Gear

The car is a '01 CL Type S with 123k miles. The first transmission was replaced around 60k.
Old 12-04-2008 | 03:59 PM
Team Owner

1100 labor was too high anyway, as 4 hours-500 dollars is standard charge,
The other repairs should not influence how much ACURA is actually willing to pay out of its pocket on the deal- they are paying the trans cost.
The dealer isnt losing money to a great degree, and sure... they want to get other work from you. times are tough all over

We need to know the other work suggested- and since they had already agreed to an assist- you need to go to corp 1-800-382-2238x5. give them the story and ask for case number, as Bob said to do
The phone person knows NOTHING -they just write down what you say- dont ask them squat about the miles over or anything else!!

Get a Manager from the dealer involved with corp- thats who they will call and ask for their version of the story, then Acura corp calls you back- may take 24-48 hours as they need to get everyones story straight and decide what to do

If you state to them what will make you happy- 500 labor and 300 for extended warranty, then they can agree to that-
you have to tell people what you want or they will do whatever they want...often very little, sometimes excellent service...
Make sure to mention you belong to acurazine.com to the case manager, have read the extensive tranny failure thread and talked with those in the know on here,
and that you know others are getting deals at 500 + 300 for 3/36 warranty on trans

iirc you had a pre 2005 replacement before? those sucked

This is why I always say get to the MANAGER if you are getting jerked by a service writer/advisor/alleged asst manager pttttttttttttt get a real manager out here please! thats the guy who talks to the regional warranty rep for you- be nice to them!

Be sure to tell case manager about the extra work needed and possible discount whatever scam the dealer was running
Acura does NOT like bad words being spoken about them- especially here on the internet-
its ok -per azine rules- to post the name of dealship and persons who help or dont help! you- let others know places to give money to and who to avoid
Its a powerful tool-
A happy customer tells 2 friends
an Unhappy customer used to tell the next 11 people they saw-
Now they go online and tell 11 million about bad service
Old 12-04-2008 | 04:06 PM
Team Owner

since you are over limits, I can see them charging you part of the trans cost plus the labor- in which case 1100 is good deal- especially if 3/36 is in that price
Old 12-04-2008 | 04:13 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the quick responses.

The other works that they said the car needs are the following:

Brake fluid flush
Power steering flush
Induction flush
Engine flush
Coolant flush

I had a major tune up done around 105k at an independent shop (whose owner also owns and works on his two Acuras) for around $1k (so I assume that alot of this work has been done already.)

For those that are interested, the dealership is Radley Acura in Falls Church, VA
Old 12-04-2008 | 07:31 PM
Team Owner

the 105 service with water pump and timing belt you had done for 1g should have included NEW coolant- so they may be going based on mileage not actual need
Induction flush is Seafoam in the intake vac port !! lol
Engine flush is Seafoam in the oil!! use a new filter and do it!
P/S flush- Yes you can use seafoam `for transmissions` in the ps system to clean it- can you believe it! 'foam only needed if steering rack or pump failure- clean before new parts installed and get gunked up

But the ps is a simple drain and refill, requires a helper to turn the steering wheel back and forth, but easy DIY- Honda ps fluid only!!!

Brake fluid flush should be done EVERY year- its that important~
thats another easy DIY or private shop job

Open the radiator cap when the engine is cold, is the fluid bright -whatever color it is, and clean looking? or faded and dead?- unlikely since you had wp done!!

Some service writers, if not given a list of genuine needed repairs, like broken motor mounts which are often found on trans job, they will recommend service based solely on mileage- without the tech actually saying to them- I checked the coolant- its weak and needs new- or the PS fluid is brown- past time for change
Those are due every 60k and are rarely done on most cars by 100!!
Old 12-04-2008 | 07:37 PM
Team Owner

money saving diy-
brake fluid $6!! less than 1 hour job for first timers working slowly, 20 minutes for those experienced at the job
no special tools or tricks (except the unique bleeding order of LF RF RR LR) involved-

ps fluid $9 per qt- 6 qts will do a full cleaning flush 2 times iirc

seafoam liquid for gas tank and oil $7-9 most places
seafoam `DEEP CREEP` aerosol version, for easy intake and TB cleaning $8-10
takes an hour to fully DIY seafoam

how much did they want- another 600? take it to your friend for those if you are not in a place allowing diy repairs.
Old 12-11-2008 | 02:09 PM
9th Gear

A little bit long of an update but please read because I really need the forum's advices...

So the Acura manager that is assigned to my case just informed me that Acura will not honor their previous offer to replace the transmission. She said that the Service Manager at Radley Acura did admit that an offer was made to replace the transmission at $1100 (labor only) but that it has expired because I waited too long to get it done. I told the case manager that at the time the offer was made, I unfortunately did not have $1100 and the assistance manager ,who was told of my financial strap, told me just come back when I am ready (which I told him would be around the first week of December), and he did not give any indications that this is a time sensitive offer. I also explain to her that the last three weeks since that visit to the dealership, the car has been parked in my garage and no new miles had put on other than those on the drive home. She could not give me any logical reason what has changed in the last three weeks or so for Acura to do a 180 on their decision, but she was firmed about the finality of Acura decision of not honoring the original offer.

Before I got off the phone today with the Case Manager, I asked her for a letter confirming what we had discussed and a mailing address for Acura USA for I intend to file a grievance with them. She called me back almost immediately and asked what maintainance work (specifically for the transmission) had I done between the time the transmission was replaced and now (60k-123k). I again told her that even though I did not have the car serviced at an Acura dealership, I had it regularly maintained at an independent shop whose owner works on his own two acuras. I will have to look for the receipt of the major tune up and the timing belt replacement that I had done at 105k, but does any body knows what the case manager is looking for in asking me for this maintenance record.

Again, thanks in advance for any of your help.
Old 12-11-2008 | 06:29 PM
Team Owner

They are specifically asking if you had the TRANS fluid changed at any point in the 63,000 miles you put on the trans since replacement- a 3 qt drain and fill per the book schedule, or a total cleaning with 3x3 method- which is NOT required by the book
iirc the owner book only calls for it every 60-(check yours for sure) so not really an issue --you are only 3k over that-

for gen3 failures, acura is cracking down on maitenance and wants proof of at least a 3 qt drain and fill- preferably every 30k miles

Did you ever get the fluid changed since the trans replacement? anything in the last 60k miles?
Acuras address is in the owner book and online at acura.com
Send a letter and ask for a case review- for all the reasons of time/budget you stated
Its not like you waited a year after the offer- just the next pay cycle
Old 12-11-2008 | 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Call ALL the local TV stations consumer help desk and tell them whats going on with a verbal offer and then the current bs
Acura hates bad publicity and TV crews in the driveway get noticed!!!
Just having a TV station call your case manager and ask whats going on- for their side of the story---and watch how fast you get a call- sorry- we goofed up, do you need a tow truck ???
Old 12-11-2008 | 08:35 PM
Drifting

Do you really think that would warrant a news truck dispatch to the dealer?
Old 12-11-2008 | 09:33 PM
Team Owner

The Consumer activist/protection section of the tv station is always looking for good stories- they have volunteers who staff phone lines and like to help
They will start with phone calls- and if it needs to, they have those news vans for a reason!
In this case: acura made a good faith offer- customer accepted with understanding of finances/time being ok.
Now the story changes and they want to deny in total- the deal, and then call back wanting proof of trans service....thats not cool~

If the customer had said- let me get back to you, and a month later shows back up- thats a different situation and they would have no standing.
The customer thought a clear arrangement had been made- the dealer normally understands not everyone has $1100 laying around, especially at the holidays~
Thats my opine
Old 12-13-2008 | 07:30 PM
7th Gear

so i topped up my tranny fluid and the car was fine for 2 weeks..now its acting up again so i hae to get a rebuilt tranny. Lucky for me i have a buddy who will do the install and can get me a rebuilt tranny for $1400. so the only gift that i;m buying this holiday season is going to my car. Without it i cant do anything so decision is final. BTW car has 51000 miles and acura said its not covered because the oiljet was installed ...BUMMER
Old 12-14-2008 | 12:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarrTown
so i topped up my tranny fluid and the car was fine for 2 weeks..now its acting up again so i hae to get a rebuilt tranny. Lucky for me i have a buddy who will do the install and can get me a rebuilt tranny for $1400. so the only gift that i;m buying this holiday season is going to my car. Without it i cant do anything so decision is final. BTW car has 51000 miles and acura said its not covered because the oiljet was installed ...BUMMER
The installation of the oil jet under the recall should have no effect on the warranty coverage.

Did you try to talk to the Service Manager at your local dealership?

Did you try calling Acura's national Customer Care number? Sometimes they can help out out.
Old 12-14-2008 | 08:05 AM
Team Owner

Use only HONDA ZR1 atf, anything else is ~Good Luck to you~

Canuks seem to get the short deal at 50, and its only kilometers,, not miles!!!
usa had a court case to get the extended warranty on the trans

Its always worth going to the dealer and speak directly with the SERVICE MANAGER
That person can work with you and acura to make a deal.
Work is scarce everywhere, some money is better than no money
Acura has been known to price match a rebuilt unit (in usa) at $2500 installed
Go tell them what you have for a deal and see what they will do
Acura trans is what you want, with its new case with improved oil flow

Note: The oil jet kit was an external device that brought trans fluid up and into the atf filler hole- bringing more oil to a certain part.

It did not affect the actual problem the trans has, plenty has been writen on this before.
Dont let anyone BS you!!!!
Go see the dealer
Old 12-14-2008 | 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Note: WHEN the RECALL install of the `external trans part`is done, they do a boroscope camera inspection of the 2nd gear parts. If heat damage has occured, you get a free transmission!
Recalls do not expire- if you have over 50 whatevers and have not had it done, get to the dealer!!!!
Old 12-14-2008 | 08:11 AM
Team Owner

Barr- why did you have to top up the fluid?
Where is it leaking from exactly? an axle seal??
Old 12-19-2008 | 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Goodwill, thank god and ECU?

Wow. almost a month later I finally have an update on my bad tranny, it took Acura that long to do and fix. So I brought in my car shortly after this post and spoke with the Head guy as suggested in the long acura post and gave them the story of Love Acura, Expect reliability, been loyal, always rave about only having to do breaks and oil. And would expect the same service in return with quality and service. It helped as well that I always brought my car to the dealership as well for other fixes so i guess that proves that i'm loyal.
Told him i saw on Acurazine and heard about goodwill cases, and he said he would see what he could do. In the meantime he gave me a loaner 2009 TSX with the video in the back so when you reverse u can see where your going, what a cool feature. 2 weeks later they get back to me and tell me that they will cover it under warranty but not free but at warranty price, but they are not sure how much is going to cost, so i said ok! They ordered it and replaced tranny which took about another week and a half.
Overall, have had this awesome loaner for more then 3 weeks and loving it. But now to reality I got a call from them today and they told me it would cost 2,300.00 which includes about 500 in additional maintenance not related and still is much cheaper then 6k which i was told when i first called before the whole good will thing.

One complaint though and question is with the tranny they replaced my ECU computer again which is costing me 700.00, but they replaced it about a year ago before the tranny went, i told them that they replaced it a year ago when I made my good will case which i mentioned because i figured it would save them money when replacing my tranny since i knew it goes together with replacing the tranny. Should I have to pay for this? being that they replaced it a wear ago which I paid for then. I'm thinking they should have noted this and only sent the tranny and not the ecu.

What do you think guys?
Old 12-21-2008 | 10:50 AM
1999 TL

rebuilt=salvage title= NO warranty on the trans withthe extended warranty
- sorry- You do still get recall coverage on SRS and seatbelt issues with salvage title
but for the trans
you need to look to aamco for help- ~$2500
EXCEPT
If your car was never taken in the recall to install an external oil jet kit - it goes on top of the trans, look for a black rubber hose that would carry trans fluid to the normal trans filler hole.
register by VIN and see if the Recall was ever done http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
after reg- look in recall section
If that is still available- I mean it was not done yet- and there is certain damage inside the trans found by boroscope exam (read the article there about failure)
THEN they replace the trans as part of the recall- due to specific heat damage
the recall itself was to install that oil jet kit
Look under the hood and if still not sure register and look it up

I have a 99 Tl-p, salvage title. Transmission is beginning to act funny now at 126k (after carwash sudddenly stopped switching btw 1-2 for about 10mins, but for two days since, no more problems. And no lights were flashing on dashboard).
Was there ever a recall on the 99 for the external oil jet kit? I registered at the Acura Owners site and under recalls it has:

Description 2000-03 TRANS WARRANTY EXT
Date 09/27/2002
Type Recall Customer Letter
Status Open

There is no info about the oil jet kit work? If I did qualify for it, would this mean that they'd still have to do the tranny, even though I'm over the mileage requirements and in a salvage? Please, please let it be yes!!!!

HEEEEEEELLLP!!!!
Old 12-21-2008 | 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Allright so for the past week my tranny has been slipping slightly between first and second and a little bit more noticeable between 2nd and 3rd Ive also noticed that my car has been downshifting a little sooner then normal when I let off the gas and the rpms skyrocket to 4.5/5k and then settle down to normal. The car has also been doing some random bucking when moving forward from a dead stop, and when putting the car into reverse even when its warmed up for 20+ minutes it kinda of jerks into position.

This car has the original transmission. Its a 99 and just rolled over 83k miles. I contacted a few people I know at the dealership and they said they would be willing to to goodwill the warranty for me since I have low mileage BUT I have to pay a percentage anywhere from 20-30% of the cost mainly paying for labor.

But Im just a little confused Im going on a guess here but the transmission fluid probably has not been replaced by the previous owner and I havent gotten around to it yet. Is it possible that the fluid just needs to be replaced? Or is this definent transmission failure?

And how come I have had no lights come on? From what Ive read on here the 4 speed transmissions arent as effected as the 5 speeds. I mean regardless if they want to good will a transmission for me Im not going to turn it down but with it being so close to the holidays I just really cant afford the $600-800 after christmas Ill be good to go but is it possible that it may just need an $80 tranny service? or is this really a bad tranny. If its really a bad tranny Im going to have to suck it up and cut some people out of christmas gifts this year this sucks.

BTW Im going to the dealer tomorrow
Old 12-21-2008 | 03:56 PM
Team Owner

trans failure--it effects all cars regardless of make or year or model
the 99 4 speed is better than the later 5 speed but nothing is perfect
Usually you can get 500 labor on the install plus 300 for a 3/36 warranty
Grab the deal now before it goes away- and you get stuck on the freeway when it quits

For num- RECALL is valid even with salvage title, so is the seatbelt warranty
You were part of the trans warranty extension- but not anymore due to salvage

CALL acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 and ask if the recall oil jet was installed
Or look under the hood as has been detailed many times- there is either a 19mm bolt head on top of the trans- its says ATF on it- or there is a small hose going into a bolt that goes into that same hole- thats an oil jet kit

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread