Thinking about an 02 TL S

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking about an 02 TL S

Let me start by saying Hi to all...I just joined, and since I am looking at buying a Second Gen (02) TL type S I figured I would check in with the Guru's of the TL Experience.

I have looked (more like Drooled) over the TL for quite some time, and since my daily driver (88 RX-7 Tii) just tanked, I decided to explore the TL idea once again.

I was wondering about reliability issues potential to purchasing one, I have heard/read and searched for some and will definately keep an eye out on the transmission.

Here's what I'm looking at 2003 Type S with 79,000 on the clock. Stock without mods or any sort. Looks to be in good to great condition, ran a carfax which came up clean.

Not sure what to consider an acceptable amount to pay, as I have not approached the owner yet, but I did not want to go at them with an absurdly low figure, so what would you suggest.

Thanks in advance, and as I become more versed in the TL, I will be more active on the boards.

Stay Safe and Travel Well....

Jazz
Old 04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
First thing to do is get the VIN number for the car and call Acura Customer Care
at 1-800-382-2238 x5 M-F 6am to 5 pm pacific time
tell them you are looking at it for purchase, and would they check the VIN for inclusion in the 7/109 trans warranty extension- late 03 was not covered- but can usually get goodwill from acura if/when it tanks.
Also was it part of the timing belt pulley recall?
Any other recalls or warranty extensions still open, or warranty work that has been done?
The Oil Jet Kit install, RECALL, is a seperate and unrelated issue on the trans- see when it was completed too

Carfax only knows what it has been told- so a mechanical inspection is next
take it to a shop and put on the lift. It could be time for rotors and pads, calipers could be toasted if the brake fluid was never changed, the other normal wear items looked at etc
Be aware of the upcoming 105k service with timing belt and water pump- plus many parts and 6 hours labor- figure 800-1200 dollars for that.
Click the Off Topic link at top of the pages here, and then scroll down to Private Sales for the special- Cars for sale from Members-, som esolid rides to be found there,
and look in the Sponsored Sales area for authorized vendors on the site that have good shocks brakes- all the upgrades one could want
so you can get an idea of what it co$$$$t to play with a TL. Requires 91 gas too!!
The TL will be a different world from the RX, I am a rotorhead from back in the day~

There is not much physical testing you can do on the trans besides light throttle cruise at 25 and 35 mph in D5 then stand on the gas. Does it quickly and positivly downshift and launch, or does it lag and slip? The 2nd and 3rd gear clutches get hot and fail- thats the trans issue.
- thats right in the mileage for a potential failure. Smell the fluid for burning,
and check the time it takes from stopped- brakes on- shift from N to D5, if the delay in engagement is more than a second or so- that could be a warning signal
If its a covered VIN and bad trans- snap that car up! get half a new car for free from the dealer right away
Does not apply to Salvage or Rebuilt Titile cars
Look in your area on craigslist or the bay for price ranges. Use a regular internet search for the year TL you want and see what the use car dealers are asking. Go drive a few to know what a well cared for- or a well detailed car looks like, and what a few feel like on test drive.
Good Luck and Buyer Beware= Every seller has already looked at KBB and wants way more than the car is worth- so inspection and deducting repairs is your bargaining chip
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info...I'll definately heed, and plan

Oops, my bad it's a 02 not 03.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
6th Gear

Hi,

I'm also a newbie. This past Saturday (4/12) I bought my first Acura. It also is an '02 TL-s (no nav) and has 83K on it. I paid high retail (about $13K) because I chose to buy mine at CarMax since I was trading in the '02 BMW 325i I'd bought last year. Loved the BMW but I just got tired of feeling self-conscious about owning a "BMW".

I was unaware of the trans history of this car...actually I knew nothing about Acuras other than they are known for Honda reliability.

The one I bought was making some loud scary sounds from under the hood. I took it to a shop within my 5 day money back guarantee window. The front-right hub bearing was bad and needed to be replaced ($250). I could've gone all the way back to CM, but I decided that since the shop said the car was in great shape otherwise, I just sucked it up and paid it.

This past Monday my wife couldn't get it into drive when she left for work. Yes, by then I'd known about the dreaded tranny so I was already thinking I might be making some very expensive lemonade.

We brought the car first to an Acura dealer, but then over to CarMax to get it fixed. Turns out the whole shifter console above the trans. was gunked up with (get this) "Soda and cat hair" and needed to be replaced.

Long story short: CarMax was awesome. They're replacing the shifter assembly **AND** reimbursing me the $250 for the hub bearing. THAT is customer service!!

Anyway, my wife and I haven't fully had a chance to even start to enjoy being Acura owners, but the car is understated on the outside (though nice) and beautiful inside....oh, and about 80HP more than my old 325i!

That was really nice of you, 01tl4tl, to write as much as you did.
Sorry for the long post.
See ya
Old 04-25-2008, 02:55 AM
BLUE SMOKE

If you are still looking for advice, I would go ahead a buy a TL-S again if I had the money. I have had very few issues with mine, and any that I had were either covered under the warranty (get an extended warranty if possible) or under a recall that was implemented. And once you buy it, have fun! Mod it if you like, or not if you don't want to. I bought mine used with 39K and it now has 83K. Running like a charm! But search around first. You may find a fantastic deal somewhere. If you get if from a dealer, ask around to find out what that dealers service department is like first, make sure they are not out to rip you off. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the dreaded spilled soda in the center console area!
That leaksdown onto the 3 electrical micro swithces for the shifter control
Often requires replacement of 1 or more of the micro things
keep an eye on it
Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Great thing CM took care of you. Word of mouth is better than their tv commercial. Go CarMax

Originally Posted by SonshineState
Hi,

I'm also a newbie. This past Saturday (4/12) I bought my first Acura. It also is an '02 TL-s (no nav) and has 83K on it. I paid high retail (about $13K) because I chose to buy mine at CarMax since I was trading in the '02 BMW 325i I'd bought last year. Loved the BMW but I just got tired of feeling self-conscious about owning a "BMW".

I was unaware of the trans history of this car...actually I knew nothing about Acuras other than they are known for Honda reliability.

The one I bought was making some loud scary sounds from under the hood. I took it to a shop within my 5 day money back guarantee window. The front-right hub bearing was bad and needed to be replaced ($250). I could've gone all the way back to CM, but I decided that since the shop said the car was in great shape otherwise, I just sucked it up and paid it.

This past Monday my wife couldn't get it into drive when she left for work. Yes, by then I'd known about the dreaded tranny so I was already thinking I might be making some very expensive lemonade.

We brought the car first to an Acura dealer, but then over to CarMax to get it fixed. Turns out the whole shifter console above the trans. was gunked up with (get this) "Soda and cat hair" and needed to be replaced.

Long story short: CarMax was awesome. They're replacing the shifter assembly **AND** reimbursing me the $250 for the hub bearing. THAT is customer service!!

Anyway, my wife and I haven't fully had a chance to even start to enjoy being Acura owners, but the car is understated on the outside (though nice) and beautiful inside....oh, and about 80HP more than my old 325i!

Sorry for the long post.
See ya
Old 04-25-2008, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

I just got lucky and picked up a 2002 TL-S with nav and 32200 miles for $13,700 from a private owner. My daughter just got a 2001 CL with 54,000 for $9,000.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura0102
I just got lucky and picked up a 2002 TL-S with nav and 32200 miles for $13,700 from a private owner. My daughter just got a 2001 CL with 54,000 for $9,000.
Welcome to the club. TL-S is very nice. That is low mileage and good price there.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

I picked up an 02 TL-S with 85,000 for 10.6.

Right now I'm just getting used to her, this was a replacement for a 88 RX-7 Tii, as the wife wanted to get something newer than just about everything else we have with lower miles, too.

I believe the color is Satin silver metallic, has black leather interior, no Nav, previous owner took out the stock stereo, and put in a alpine digital media unit (XM, USB, Ipod, AM, FM). I actually used the aftermarket head unit as a bargaining chip, saying I did not like how the lines,flow of the dash were now changed, and that I would have to replace it with a factory unit.

It worked I got the car for way less than they had it advertised for and for way less than KBB.COM, So i'm happy about that.

Hopefully I will get pics posted soon.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Carmax has 30 days warranty after you bought your car. You still have the option to buy their maxcare esp warranty. It will be worth it in the long run. Which Carmax dealership was this that hooked you up? I'm an employee at HQ.
We just won an award for being an honest used car co. Kinda funny, honest and used car co. in the same sentence.

Originally Posted by SonshineState
Hi,

Sorry for the long post.
See ya