suspension, steering noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suspension, steering noises

I'm seriously about to give up on this car....
In the past few months, I've changed the passenger side CV axle, upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod. On the driver's side, I've replaced the lower ball joint and tie rod.

Problem 1: I have a rubber rubbing sound that is on the passenger's side. I hear this at low speeds when I'm steering or going over bumps. It can also be heard when I hit the brakes and the nose of the car goes down. I can even push down on the hood/fender and hear the noise. This past weekend I changed out the upper ball joint again. The sound stopped for 10 miles and came back. I have no clue what it is.

Problem 2: I have a clicking noise in the steering system when driving and also while it is on jack stands. It seems that there is a minor amount of slack in the tie rod but in the area where it connects to the rack or somewhere above the rack. The clicking sound can be heard only when I change the direction I'm steering in, and the click only happens once until I switch directions. When it was on jack stands, I could shake the steering wheel from left to right and hear the clicking over and over but could not tell the orgin of the sound.

Problem 3: My CEL P0131 came back. This is the previous thread on it: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=p0131

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Any luck with the noise yet?
seams to be very common.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
prob 1 ck the rubber bushing in the top of strut tower and the big one under tophat

prob 2 someone recently found bad joint at steering shaft to steering box iirc
seach- steering shaft

prob 3 did you ever test the electrical readings on the O2 sensor,,or replace it- use DENSO
Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Nola2000TL
In the past few months, I've changed the passenger side CV axle, upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod. On the driver's side, I've replaced the lower ball joint and tie rod.

Problem 1: I have a rubber rubbing sound that is on the passenger's side. I hear this at low speeds when I'm steering or going over bumps. It can also be heard when I hit the brakes and the nose of the car goes down. I can even push down on the hood/fender and hear the noise. This past weekend I changed out the upper ball joint again. The sound stopped for 10 miles and came back. I have no clue what it is.

Problem 2: I have a clicking noise in the steering system when driving and also while it is on jack stands. It seems that there is a minor amount of slack in the tie rod but in the area where it connects to the rack or somewhere above the rack. The clicking sound can be heard only when I change the direction I'm steering in, and the click only happens once until I switch directions. When it was on jack stands, I could shake the steering wheel from left to right and hear the clicking over and over but could not tell the orgin of the sound.

Problem 3: My CEL P0131 came back. This is the previous thread on it: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=p0131

on the way home driving, i got some noise when moving the steering wheel back and forth.
in the driveway, you can hear the noise id you move the wheel left to right just like the op

it sounds like something is directly behind the wheel
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there are ujoints on the steering shaft
and a spline fitting at the lower end,, which a ziner had some problem with not too long ago
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was cauding problem 1? I have a similar problem and just had several items from my suspension replaced as well and i still have this rubber rubbing noise.

Originally Posted by Nola2000TL