Stering wheel disbalance over 80mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Tl fever...cureless!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stering wheel disbalance over 80mph?

Hi guys i dont know much about mechanical problems with the car but today i was driving on Highway about 80mph plus and i felt that wheels have slight vibration in them plus steering wheel is just not balances...it felt like front syspension is going sumwhere else then the body of the car? problem sounds fimiliar? i dont know how to explain this but it when i kind of slow down about 65 and moved the streering wheel left to right or visaversa very quik it felt liek wheels are loose or sumthing and car is not balanced? any suggestions? i am goign to take the car to my mechanic this week to see wats the problem ..but theres no clickign sound or any rubbing of wheels or spring problems noices or anythign i noticed!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Could be many problems.

First thing to do is have the wheels balanced. It may be your suspension, it may be your tires.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Just chillen..

Get it balanced, check your rotors/pads, and check your tires and the pressure of the tires.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

i know i need 2 rear tires for sure does that help? lady i bought the car from showed me the paperwork from acura dealership just got brand new rotors and brakes done all the way so i am sure its not that....but i will check it out tomorrow
Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

This happen to me on a 97 rl. It turned out to be camber/balancing. After fixing the two, I went about 10k and the tires could no longer be balanced.

new tires and balancing got rid of the problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar problem

The situation you first described sounds like a similar problem I have. When the car is stopped, or at low speed (turn in a parking lot) the steering is fine. However, at lower speeds 20-60 MPH, the steering feels loose, and when the wheel is turned it almost feels like a slipping.... It's a little difficult to describe, but something is not right, and when I heard a comment about the camber I thought maybe that it might be part of the problem....

I recently ran into a bad mechanic situation where the lower control arm in the left front was changed, (4 times) as the mechanic kept putting non OEM part in, when they finally did, the problem stayed away... Struts were also replaced in this same incident as the left fron Strut went as well.... Understand there wasn't an accident, just a safety inspection... The error was in replacing the lower control arm at the garage, then the strut went... and when you get in so far, it was hard to leave, as the control arms were replaced under warranty. Now I'm to the point where I am not going back to the same garage, but before I go somewhere else I'm trying to educate myself a little more...

So my question is, does it sound like a rack and pinion steering problem?? alignment? I don't feel as it is a balancing problem as it occurs now with my winter tires and steel rims, the same as it did with my summer tires and alloy rims...

Any help you can offer would be appreciatted....

By the way, the garage was Canadian Tire... A simple Safety Check has caused me a lot of money and headaches (I've only given the Coles Notes version above concerning my expierience with the mechanic, it gets worse..)

Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
For the Original poster
Rear tires bad on a just bought car often means there is something worn out in the front end.
Those bad tires used to be in front and someone switched them to make it driveable, but unsafe. The better tires go in back, so the back does skid out on wet turns.
Have the tire shop look at the suspension- ball joints- control arm bushings and make sure they are ok
It may just need an alignment and good tires
Tirerack.com for suggestions- I like my General UHP, excellent wet and dry so far~ and low price
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

thanks 01tl4tl i wil get that done as soon as i lower my car this week
thanks man