Side Mirror Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM
07 TL Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side Mirror Replacement?

Hey everyone. A couple months ago I broke my side mirror. Just the glass broke, the casing is fine.

Well, I found a great deal on the whole painted passenger side mirror assembly off a salvaged TL for $45 on Ebay, so I figured it'd probably be easier (and cheaper) to just replace the whole mirror...bolt-on, bolt-off, right?

Anyone does this? Any DIY thread? I searched but couldn't find much...do I have to take the interior door panel off (knowing Acura and how hard it is to change the clock light bulb, I'd assume this is the case...)

How do you get the old mirror off and attach this new one?

Pictures and a DIY would REALLY be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=mirror
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
07 TL Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks totaledTL, I actually saw that one already. I believe that thread is specifically for replacing the glass...

I have to take off the whole mirror and replace it with the new one I bought.

I found this...it applies for a 98-02 Accord...so, it should be similar, right? Doesn't seem too hard. I found another post with some photos where the guy removed the whole inside door panel of his Accord, but that was for the driver's side. Hopefully I can get away without doing that...here's what I'm going to try

#1Roll the front windows all the way down and open the doors that the side mirrors are attached to. Make sure to turn off the car engine.

#2Find the black triangular piece in the located in the front corner of the door, next to the side mirror. Cover the flat-head screwdriver with the cloth and gently pry back the plastic piece. Pull off the molding and place it in a safe place.

#3Remove the rubber insulation present inside the cavity and set it with the molding. Three nuts, situated on the mirror studs, and the wire harness should now be visible.

#4Pull on the wire harness to reveal the plug assembly. Press in the clip lock with the flat-head screwdriver to unplug the harness.

#5Remove the three nuts from the mirror studs by using the ratchet, socket and extension. Make sure not to lose any nuts in the door cavity; use the telescopic magnet.

#6Remove the mirror by prying it off from the outside. The foam rubber insulation sometimes makes it feel stuck, but it will come loose eventually. Be careful not to scratch the car exterior during this process.

#7Insert the new mirror from the outside by placing the studs through the pre-drilled holes. Carefully place the nuts onto the studs from beneath, without dropping them into the door cavity. Tighten the nuts with the ratchet when they are set in place.

#8Fit the wire harness back into the mirror plug. Replace the rubber insulation and door molding. Turn the ignition on to test whether the mirrors are working. Repeat process on other side, if needed.

No pics though...anyone care to comment???
Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Ok, I figured the diagram would be what you needed to see so you had an idea as to how to get it off.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Those instructions are exactly what you need to do.