RPM drop and lurching intermittently while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:35 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM drop and lurching intermittently while driving

I've been using Acurazine to help diagnose issues I've had with my 2000 Acura TL-P since owning it about 50k miles ago, now at 145k. Unknown service history and addressing issues as they come up.

My recent issue is intermittent with rhythmical RPM drop accompanied with a lurch roughly every second or two like the brakes are being applied while driving slowly in 2nd and 3rd gear while in D5 with a light touch on the accelerator through parking lots but, it goes away after I've turned off the car and let it sit for a little then restart or after driving it for a while around town. No CEL or TCS light has come on and fluid levels are good. This has only happened twice within the week after sitting garaged for a month and about 5 months since I've cleaned my engine bay and replaced my blown radiator this winter. I've searched through the forums here looking for a similar problem and possible fix but have come up empty. I'm trouble shooting this thinking it's a shift or lockup solenoid issue currently because it feels to me like the torque converter lockup is engaging and disengaging. Any suggestions, tips, or insight is greatly appreciated.

Also, since I've owned it I've changed out the IACV (fix for bouncing RPMs), cleaned my intake manifold within 2k miles, re-soldered the PGM-FI main relay (wouldn't hot start), new battery, new starter, new spark plugs, and 3x3 ATF change with Redline D4 (old ATF was very dark and burnt smelling). Planning on a timing & accessory belt change along with water pump hopefully soon because they look old and a little cracked.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Sounds like something similar I was having. RPM would seem to jump up and down with slight accelerator, such as driving at a constant speed and then going up a slight incline. Press lightly on the gas and it would start bucking. If I floored it, it would shift and accelerate smoothly.

Sorry to say, that was the beginning of the end for my tranny. I suspect it was a torque converter issue, but I don't know for sure. Drain & fill x 6 times ended up finally fixing it for the time being, but about 30k later tranny died for good. I swapped in an AV6.
The following users liked this post:
Nspired (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM
5th Gear

Thanks SuperGreg. Glad someone else had a similar problem. I'm suspecting a torque converter lock-up issue as well and I'm going to do another drain and fill of my trans fluid if my shift and lock-up sensors checkout fine and I still have the issue. SuperGreg, how was your trans fluid when this happened? Did you have your lock-up and shift sensors checked or bother installing a new trans filter?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
try running in D4 for city driving and see if the issue still persists
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Fluid was very dirty, I changed the filter, cleaned solenoid screens, and did drain/fills weekly until the problem went away
The following users liked this post:
Nspired (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM
5th Gear

Thanks, I'll test drive it in all drive modes once I get everything put back together and see if it changes anything as well. Any idea Iggy of what might be the cause if the issue is only in D5?

And SuperGreg, I'm wondering if my issue is similar to yours because my ATF is pink since I did the 3x3 change a long time ago but haven't changed my filter. I didn't have any issues before I changed my ATF until now. If it is then I'd suspect something other than the fluid, maybe a sensor going bad or torque converter issue.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:51 AM
5th Gear

So, finally got a chance to test my torque lockup solenoids and they tested fine. Went to re-install them and go on a test drive and a new issue came up. TCS and CEL on with D5 blinking. Couldn't accelerate quickly from a stop without reving in any drive mode or shift in sport mode (seemed like it was stuck in 3rd or 4th gear) but, worked fine in 2nd gear. Had a friend help me pull the code and found P0753 Shift Solenoid Valve A Failure. Gonna use a spare solenoid I have to swap it out if it tests bad. If not, I'll be cleaning any of the suspect grounds and checking cables.

Also, has anyone spilled coolant from the hoses attached to the thermostat above the transmission and had any issues with sensors/solenoids/cables shorting? I assume they are water tight since I had zero issues after washing and de-greasing my engine bay months ago.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 AM
5th Gear

Well, I found the issue. Apparently I left that solenoid unplugged.