Rough Idle/Shuddering/Vibration at a stop in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Idle/Shuddering/Vibration at a stop in gear

I am a new '03 TL-S owner and am just now starting to notice a minor vibration when I come to a stop with the tranny in gear. If I put it in neutral it goes away, so I'm pretty sure it's the tranny. The RPM's don't change when switching from gear to neutral, they maintain at about 800 or so.

I have read about the other issue with the tranny's downshifting at random from 2-4th etc. but I haven't really been able to find too many other posts about a rough idle or vibration. I don't have any CEL's and to be honest I didn't really even notice it when I test drove the car. But after driving around in my other car, a '07 Mazda6, I noticed it big time since the Mazda's idle is very smooth. Of course the Mazda only has 12k on it and my TL has 68k, but this is still a decent vibration now that I'm looking for it.

Has anyone heard of this issue or do all TL's idle a little rough like this when at a stop and in gear? When I get it's first oil change I'll take it to an Acura dealership and ask them about it and see what they say. Just wanted to post here first in case it's a known issue for these cars.

Thanks for any feedback or input.

-Matt

Last edited by Matt -- HB Cali; 09-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Have you done a tranny fluid change since you got the car? Where did you get the TL?

btw its me Macky
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 AM
9th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Have you done a tranny fluid change since you got the car? Where did you get the TL?

btw its me Macky
Whats up Macky!

I totally forgot you got a TL a few years ago. I decided to get one for my daily driver. Well actually I decided to get an '07 Mazda6 but it's just too slow for me so I'm selling it. I still have the vr-4 of course but she's down right now for a turbo upgrade. Going TD-05's. Have everything in now actually so I'm just about ready to fire it up.

I picked up the TL last weekend way up in Calabasas. It was from an Acura dealership but I don't know if they flushed the tranny fluid or not. Probably not, they took it in on a trade. It's a one owner car and is in very good condition though. Driving it around more today the slight vibration seems to lessen as the tranny heats up, so maybe a simple fluid change will help. Is there a specific type the TL auto tranny responds better to??
Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I am not sure what fluid to use other than the factory one. I will be doing mine on my next oil change (just a drain, refill) to make sure everything's in the clear. the vibration could be the tires (balance) but then again, im not familiar with the 2nd Gen TL.

what color did you get? ill be in HB tomorrow around 6-8pm because of church, so i can maybe chance it and meet up with you for a while. i live in Orange now, so its a drive for me. im glad you still have the VR4. when i saw you post i almost freaked out and thought you sold it. thank goodness you didnt
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 AM
9th Gear

Smile

Yeah, no way am I selling the VR-4. I've got way too much into that thing. I'm going to use it as my casket when I die lol.

The TL actually drives smoother just as soon as it starts to roll. It's definitely the tranny just shuddering a little bit, so hopefully a good flush will help. I'm going to call the dealership I bought it from and ask them if they had it flushed or if they have records of when it was last flushed because of the vibration. Maybe they'll give me a free one, who knows. I've read that you're supposed to do the drain and refill 3x on these tranny's using a special procedure (http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080100.PDF) which sounds a little time consuming.

This weekend I have one guy coming over to see my Mazda6 that I'm selling, but other than that no real plans. If Eugene finds time to come down I might try to start the VR4 again. I tried it once last week but felt some weird vibration/knocking noise so I shut it down and looked around for anything that could cause it but couldn't find anything obvious. I did a full turbo and header upgrade with the motor still in the car all in my garage so that took me about a month just working on it on weekends, pushing it out and back into the garage, etc. Man I sure hope it'll run right.

Anyway, if you're in HB this weekend give me a call, I should be around the house hopefully. I live off of Beach and Adams now, a little closer to the beach.

Later!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Possibly a motor mount. They would cause that and other symptoms
Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 AM
9th Gear

Thumbs up Update

OK so I took the car in to get the AC serviced and they discovered the vacuum hose to one of the motormounts was disconnected. After connecting it the car idles perfectly, you can hardly even tell it's on! Very happy again, despite the fact they could have easily noticed this during my 2 previous oil changes, but whatever, it's idling verrrry smooth now
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

Hi, i am having the same problems as you in regards to the hard/loud vibrations in reverse and drive whilst in idle position but goes away when in park or neutral. you said that the problem was solved with the vacuum tubes to the motor mount.. can you elaborate for me so that i can tell acura what to look for, and is the problem now currently still pursisting?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't even know that our car has the vacuum hose to one of the motormounts ?????