Road imperfections trasfer into steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
FamusTLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road imperfections trasfer into steering wheel

Hey guys I've had this ongoing issue since I bought my car for two years now. Its a '99TL 155k kim.

The problem is that when I go over bumps and imperfections in the road I get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel. Its as if there is something loose.

I've change every front end suspension part that I could think of that would cause the problem; e.g. inner/outer tie rods, steering rack had lots or play so I got a used one so nice and stiff now, and I even change the steering knocle or U-joint. and still get then feed back that goes from tires - suspension - steering parts and into my fingers when I've driving, its really annoying

The funny thing is that if both tires hit an a bump or uneven road then I don't feel it that much if at all, however, if the bump happens to be on the passenger side alone then it nudges the steering slight... When I hit bumps or uneven pavement with drive side alone there isn't any play at all. I check, re-check, double and triple check everything with a few mechanics and they said the front in is very solid..

Can anyone offer any type of help... is there a bushing or something in the steering column that could go over time and could casue this. I think it might be an easy fix but I'm over looking something.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
You might want to check the strut rod bushings. They mount towards the front of the car like this: / \ The bushings are on the front of the rods and they mount on the frame. If they're worn out they can cause the symptoms you describe.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think it's called steering feel...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 AM
FamusTLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
You might want to check the strut rod bushings. They mount towards the front of the car like this: / \ The bushings are on the front of the rods and they mount on the frame. If they're worn out they can cause the symptoms you describe.
oh I already change those from last summer and still didn't make any difference. When the engine is running and if the steering is turned slightly in any direction, you can here a slight knocking noise. I thought it was the steering rack but I chaged that and also the steering knuckle but changed that as well and no difference (although steering response was improve alot)

Two Problems:
* Steering feel sucks
* Noise comming from passenger front suspension over bumps.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTION.........