Rear main and oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rear main and oil pump

2003 3.2 TL auto w/nav

This is my wife’s car and she has had it dealer serviced at every required interval. Not wanting to make waves I try not to interfere, but at times it has appeared that she has been dealer serviced and sold parts and procedures not required. Therefore my curiosity about this latest adventure.

At the 90K service the shop noted that the rear main seal was leaking and suggested replacement. Since then, I’ve monitored the oil level and it loses about a pint between changes. There are a few noticeable oil spots on the driveway, but no puddle, so I’ve not pushed the repair. She took the car in for the 112K mile oil change and returned with a 'status report' mentioning the seal, again, and also saying that the oil pump should be replaced, too. Their written comment about the pump: “If not replaced, the oil pump will fail and cause major engine damage.” I emailed the ’service advisor’ asking what findings lead to the oil pump diagnosis? No reply.

I’m not adverse to maintaing the car, but their estimate of $1100 for the seal job and $1600 for the pump is going to hurt. Am I off base here thinking we’re being snookered, or could the pump problem be real?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
1600 for an oil pump? Hahahaha hahahaha better drop a J35 and have enough money left for a pizza and a six pack for weeks straight.

Not being serious.. Have you asked for a second opinion? A Honda dealership can also do it, don't stick to Acura only.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Agreed - a second opinion is called for.

First - oil is cheap, so a minor leak is no issue unless it's leaking on something important. Fix it when there is other major service in the same area. Rear main seal = when you replace the transmission. Maybe also check your PCV valve and try some high mileage oil which can help the seals on our older engines.

But - I would be concerned about the diagnosis of a failing oil pump and that would lead me to a second opinion and more information. Unusual for an oil pump to fail in these cars.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome Ccdtec !!!

Yeppur, while it's commendable to attempt to keep the '03 TL's maintenance up, there is the possibility of pending issues. This is what the dealership's thrive on.....big moneymaker jobs or even better ...... getting your attention and thoughts toward replacing the old money pit with a shiny new car.

Anyways, enough rambling about stealerships.....was the tranny recall and T-belt servicing completed ? The tranny's condition would be the main concern before dumping $2700 into replacement of the oil pump and rear main seal. Has the tranny drain & fills been done on schedule also ?

Do as these other guys suggested, get some other opinions and estimates for the repairs.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
push come to shove= you can buy a replacement TL engine and install it with a fresh 105 kit + rear main seal and fully serviced for $1500 total

Everyone please be aware (from a former industry insider who had the job of extracting every dollar possible from every job)
November December January = the absolute worst time to take the car in for service
Every auto shop, including dealers, are starving as customers spend at the mall and not on the car

BIG BIG Bills still have to be paid by the shop every month to keep the doors open, and service writers still have to meet MINIMUM SALES QUOTAS plus BONUS TARGETS IN SALES = despite the low number of cars thru the door. While techs still expect a certain amount of cars,
or for the service writer to up-sell extra `needed repairs` as the techs work on a `flat rate` for each actual job, not hourly in most cases

Did I make the point clear enough = this time of year the customer is ripe for a good bending , not in your favor~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-02-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
....was the tranny recall and T-belt servicing completed ? ...
The timing belt was done on schedule. I read about the recalls on the net and asked the dealer about it. Their reply was that my '03s VIN was not included. So far, the transmission has been flawless.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

register the car with acura care Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits need cars VIN and can look up recalls there
plus reg at the 1 800 382 2238 x5 place- they send out recall notices and there may be an airbag one in your future

Also many TL-s are still running around with bad inflator modules!!
ck your vin or watch the dealer input your vin in their system and see whats up
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

the trans recall was about installing an external oil sprayer into the atf filler hole on top of trans
Its a critical fix!!!! for 2nd gear safety
Make sure it was done

the dealer was talking about the trans court ordered `extended warranty` your vin may have been `out of limits` but there were many exceptions made under ~goodwill~
Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
...Everyone please be aware (from a former industry insider who had the job of extracting every dollar possible from every job)
November December January = the absolute worst time to take the car in for service....Did I make the point clear enough = this time of year the customer is ripe for a good bending , not in your favor~
I agree. After getting no email response about the oil pump diagnosis, I went to the shop in person with the vague paperwork they gave to my wife. They could not provide any diagnostic data about the 'failing oil pump'. The quote from a tech who worked on the car was "sometimes oil pumps leak". That was it, no verification that he actually saw signs of leakage or low oil pressure. It appears that it was a con job. This dealership used to have my respect.

They were anxious to see me leave, so were quite accommodating when I asked for a printout of the recall repairs done to the car so far... that they were previously unable to verbally confirm:

02-03 Timing Belt Tensioner
00-04 CL TL A/T Recall
A/S Driver's Airbag Inflator -- Part replacement 06770-S84-A11ZA
The following 2 users liked this post by ccdtec:
3.2TLc (12-05-2014), ErickUa5 (12-06-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Time to start looking for a reputable local independent shop that specializes with imports.
Build a relationship by having them perform an oil change and courtesy evaluation of your TL.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

the dealer has no interest in your over 10 year old oil leaking TL!!!

They want to work on the new cars- which only require easy money routine service, and major repairs the owners are willing to pay for on a 5 year old car, that an aging TL might not want to pay full retail for
Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you... sort of...

My rear main seal is in bad shape, which has been causing transmission issues for me and causing minor oil leaks... dealer quote was 1200 and a friendly local mechanic quoted me 600...

Went to a other friendly mechanics and they told me that I should just replace my tranny with the amount of money I'm going to be spending on the fix... So now I'm actively looking for a new transmission now!!

GL with the fix btw!
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

a local transmission rebuilding shop can handle removal of the trans and flywheel
then install the new seal and re-install trans for you

same people can handle the AV6 swap if you are having problems now

expect 4 to 6 hours labor charge (according to the great book of labor times) for the basic seal job, about the same for the AV6 install instead~

someone who knows the TL can drop them in an hour- eat lunch, install seal and trans- not a half day gone!

the rear main is an engine oil seal and cannot effect the trans
you can find the oil inside the inspection cover for attachment of engine to trans- it fills up in there
Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Question Oil leaks......rear main seal & oil pump ?

Originally Posted by ccdtec
This is my wife’s car and she has had it dealer serviced at every required interval. At the 90K service the shop noted that the rear main seal was leaking and suggested replacement.

Since then, I’ve monitored the oil level and it loses about a pint between changes. There are a few noticeable oil spots on the driveway, but no puddle, so I’ve not pushed the repair.

She took the car in for the 112K mile oil change and returned with a 'status report' mentioning the seal, again, and also saying that the oil pump should be replaced, too. I emailed the ’service advisor’ asking what findings lead to the oil pump diagnosis? No reply.

I’m not adverse to maintaing the car, but their estimate of $1100 for the seal job and $1600 for the pump is going to hurt. Am I off base here thinking we’re being snookered, or could the pump problem be real?
Yeah, if unsure ...... get another trusted shop's opinion.
A couple of things to try would be to replace the PCV valve with a new OEM part and consider a specially formulated ""high mileage" oil at the next oil change.

Have the motor's underneath cleaned and inspected for signs of oil seepage which may help locate the source of the offending leak. Place a piece of cardboard on the ground under the car's motor after being driven and then parked for the night.

The oil drips should show if the leak is oriented on the right or left side of the motor. There are other seals which can cause leaks, such as the valve covers, oil pan, Vtec solenoid and the oil pressure sending unit. Much less $ to fix.