Parking lights NOT working...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking lights NOT working...

I cannot get my PARK lights to come on ....... I have a 2003 TL's 3.2 installed in my Attack K-1 kit car [Attackforums.com ; I am 'DuxF355' there for blog link to my pix]... installed complete with ALL 3 Acura fuse boxes, the TL's wiring harnesses, ECM, etc.!!! But I DO NOT have the Driver's Door Multiplex unit connected... and I think, according to the Acura Troubleshooting Manual, it interfaces with the other multiplex units to control power to the Taillight relay, pin 5; there is power at pin 5 until I switch stalk to 'PARK', then it goes to '0 volts'..... do I need the Door M'Plex unit to make these work? headlights, engine, & all other circuits seem to be functioning correctly..... I have done continuity tests to all circuits involved in this circuit [110-2] ...... and can I bypass M'Plex control to that pin by wiring-in 'Hot Always On' power to pin 5 instead to get them to work?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
10th Gear

Parking light problems...

Originally Posted by DuxF355
I cannot get my PARK lights to come on ....... I have a 2003 TL's 3.2 installed in my Attack K-1 kit car [Attackforums.com ; I am 'DuxF355' there for blog link to my pix]... installed complete with ALL 3 Acura fuse boxes, the TL's wiring harnesses, ECM, etc.!!! But I DO NOT have the Driver's Door Multiplex unit connected... and I think, according to the Acura Troubleshooting Manual, it interfaces with the other multiplex units to control power to the Taillight relay, pin 5; there is power at pin 5 until I switch stalk to 'PARK', then it goes to '0 volts'..... do I need the Door M'Plex unit to make these work? headlights, engine, & all other circuits seem to be functioning correctly..... I have done continuity tests to all circuits involved in this circuit [110-2] ...... and can I bypass M'Plex control to that pin by wiring-in 'Hot Always On' power to pin 5 instead to get them to work?
latest update ... I now blow the 15A underhood fuse when I turn the stalk switch to "PARK" ..... so with a multi-meter connected to the red/blk park wire [between the driver's fuse box conn. E18 & the taillight relay] I found I get a 'short' reading... so I pulled EVERY bulb or switch out of every item on Circuit 11 [Interior illumination & park/plate lights] plus the stalk plug.. no change ; then disconnected every plug into every green connection to both the passenger & driver fuse boxes .... found that the K plug on the driver FBox opened the short when I pulled it, so I left all other plugs out on the FBox & pulled each wire out of the K plug; no change to the Park circuit plugs [K15 & K16] or any other wires in that plug EXCEPT the K7 wire that goes to the ECM [A32] & Cruise control unit [5] show a 'partial' resistance [6-12 ohm; ????], but not sure that is causing the fuse to blow... I put all the connectors back into all of the FBoxes, pulled the K7 wire out [to open up that 'short'?], switched to the 'park' position & it still blows the fuse!!!! Luckily I have access to every plug, wire & item on every circuit [since I don't have the car's body covering any wiring yet], but this is getting old...... anybody have another idea?
maybe the Multiplex unit in the driver's FBox [one forum noted a transistor blown in it causing a problem???].......
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
looks like you will find more experts on that box in your regular forum
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

LED lighting causing the problem??

[quote=01tl4tl;12664229]looks like you will find more experts on that box in your regular forum[/quote
Well another day, another possible solution??? In searching the forum posts today, I noticed a number of problems associated with the installation of LED bulbs in various lighting areas... even causing multiplex issues, but also including FAST/hyper-flasher issues!!! Which I also have, but thought was a separate issue I'd deal with later! I DID install LED front turn signals [9 bulb units] along with integral side-mirror 3-bulb LED units!!! I see this possibly causes other multiplex-controlled issues [like my wiper motor not working now!] according to some other threads...... so I might try disconnecting those [or temp wiring in some conventional TSignal units I have] & see what it might do!!!! I have also seen where some have rewired their lighting [parking specifically for me] to by-pass the multiplex connection & directly feed these circuit off an open fuse............
Like SNL's Rossana-Dana used to say " .... Its ALWAYS something......"!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
10th Gear

Mystery solved.....

[quote=DuxF355;12666672]
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
looks like you will find more experts on that box in your regular forum[/quote
Well another day, another possible solution??? In searching the forum posts today, I noticed a number of problems associated with the installation of LED bulbs in various lighting areas... even causing multiplex issues, but also including FAST/hyper-flasher issues!!! Which I also have, but thought was a separate issue I'd deal with later! I DID install LED front turn signals [9 bulb units] along with integral side-mirror 3-bulb LED units!!! I see this possibly causes other multiplex-controlled issues [like my wiper motor not working now!] according to some other threads...... so I might try disconnecting those [or temp wiring in some conventional TSignal units I have] & see what it might do!!!! I have also seen where some have rewired their lighting [parking specifically for me] to by-pass the multiplex connection & directly feed these circuit off an open fuse............
Like SNL's Rossana-Dana used to say " .... Its ALWAYS something......"!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a follow-up FYI for all >>>> never mix one year's wiring harness with another year's!!! Turns out the yards I got my various wiring harnesses from gave me a mix of years, where they all have the SAME end connector but some have a different functions come in one side but a different out the other! had one that mixed a park light power to something that caused it to ground out the other side!!! Parking lights work now..........
and for those LED light/fast flasher issues, I changed out the flasher relay to one that is "LED-compatible" [not thermal] & solved it for $10 [better than the resistor-solution I found in other posts].