P0730. Tranny screwed or is there any life left in it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0730. Tranny screwed or is there any life left in it?

I've been reading around as many transmission threads I could find on the 2g TL tranny issues. Everyone talks about P0740 being the killer code. I don't have that one, but I do have P0730. Has anyone been able to revive their TL with that code? I bought the car around 223k miles at a really low price from a friend in spring, so even if I had to sell it in it's current malfunctioning condition, I wouldn't lose much.

About a month ago, I started to hear a weird buzzing sound between 2nd and 3rd gear. But it didnt pop any check engine codes and It didn't interfere with how the car drove. Later I noticed that shifting from 2nd to 3rd was getting iffy. It wasn't exactly normal, but I knew that at this many miles, it wasn't brand new either lol.

This past Sunday, I'm driving to a friend's house and as I am turning at an intersection, the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd and the gear slips. Really badly. I knew at that point, after reading all the transmission threads on here over time, that I am probably screwed. I leave my friend's house and maybe about 10 miles or so, transmission begins to give up on me. I barely made it into some office parking lot. My friend's brother in law had the same issue and mentioned that he would turn off his car for a moment and turn it back on to get the car working again. So thats what I did. At every stop light haha.

So right now the car drives for a few minutes and shift a bit rough. After a few minutes it will begin to slip every gear and struggle to get back into gear until it does not want to get out of neutral while in D5. So I am currently trying to do the small "fixes" before I give up and sell it as it is with a bad transmission. I haven't touched the tranny oil since I had it and I don't know when the last owner touched it. So I risked it and did a change. Bought tranny oil as well as the filter and Lucas oil treatment. I put in the Lucas treatment and filled the rest with tranny oil. When I drained the old oil, I will admit, it was fairly bad, but I also didn't notice any transmission bits on the drain bolt magnet. I couldn't get the filler bolt off so I filled it from the dipstick (annoying and PITA for Lucas treatment). Once I got the oil in, I test drove it and worked pretty good for the first few minutes (I was actually really hopeful the way it was driving). Then it started acting up again. I will change out the oil a few more times to try and clean the transmission oil better (3x3)

The oil change didn't really help much, but it also didn't completely kill the transmission either. What's left for me to try is cleaning the transmission solenoids and change the filter. Anyone have any luck in similar situation and with this code, any advice, transmission done?

Also, I just changed my high pressure power steering hose and power steering pump about 1000 miles ago, and when this transmission issue appeared, I don't have power steering when picking up speed from idle. But it turns just fine afterwards. Reservior is full, not bubbling or foaming, belt and pulleys are spinning, no groaning noise from the pump. Coincidence or for some of you this went hand in hand?

I appreciate everyone who chimes in!
Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,753 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Did you use Honda/Acura ATF-DW1? I would have done without the Lucas oil treatment..
Old 12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Did you use Honda/Acura ATF-DW1? I would have done without the Lucas oil treatment..
I used the Valvoline Maxlife that had Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 written on the back (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...1-qt./15125770)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
8th Gear

Forgot to mention: 2000 Acura TL. Current mileage is 234k
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,753 Likes on 6,750 Posts
yeah... that may not work. if you want to get anymore life out of it, i'd suggest trying to replace witih ATF-DW1..OEM fluid.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
yeah... that may not work. if you want to get anymore life out of it, i'd suggest trying to replace witih ATF-DW1..OEM fluid.
will do. Thanks!!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
I would agree on the DW-1 but also not sure I would spend the $$ on a case of it only to be in vain as by the description of your slipping issues it sounds like the trans is unfortunately done for. Did the fluid smell burnt?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:21 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
I would agree on the DW-1 but also not sure I would spend the $$ on a case of it only to be in vain as by the description of your slipping issues it sounds like the trans is unfortunately done for. Did the fluid smell burnt?
It didn't smell burnt. It wasn't fresh but it wasn't black either.

I will also mention, based on what other people's problems were, on mine the D5 didn't flash, only traction light would come on when it got real bad, but no other lights. I don't know if this helps with anything, but I thought I would mention it in case someone else was wondering.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Clean your solenoids and test them. You might consider replacing them if you aren't afraid to throw some money at it.

I have Maxlife running in mine for about 15-20K miles now. No problems with the fluid although I sometimes get flaring in 3rd when it's cooold outside. So I don't think the fluid could hurt it, but it probably won't help it, either. Get it changed out to DW-1 soon. If you haven't changed your external spin-on filter you might consider that as well.