Outer Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Outer Tie Rod

Awesome...so my steering has been off and whenever I'm at a stop and turn the wheel (backing up then changing direction) i would hear a loud pop. Also the left front tire has a LOT of wear whereas the other 3 dont.

Took it to the tire shop, had them check it out. The front right tire would move independent of the steering by 3/4 of an inch! My damn outer tie rod was mangled and where the pin goes that connects it to the wheel....yeah that was STRETCHED OUT... They said the pin could fall out at any moment therefore losing my wheel

So yeah getting that fixed in the morning. Other than all the tread and steering issues its caused me, I bet its been hurting my gas mileage and definitely acceleration since the right tire has been doing most of the work
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how did the tie rod get mangled?? Accident??
Old 08-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Salty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamlee05
Awesome...so my steering has been off and whenever I'm at a stop and turn the wheel (backing up then changing direction) i would hear a loud pop. Also the left front tire has a LOT of wear whereas the other 3 dont.

Took it to the tire shop, had them check it out. The front right tire would move independent of the steering by 3/4 of an inch! My damn outer tie rod was mangled and where the pin goes that connects it to the wheel....yeah that was STRETCHED OUT... They said the pin could fall out at any moment therefore losing my wheel

So yeah getting that fixed in the morning. Other than all the tread and steering issues its caused me, I bet its been hurting my gas mileage and definitely acceleration since the right tire has been doing most of the work

I have a similar problem...but no extra wear on my tires. When I'm driving I can feel the loosness in the steering even when I hit a bump in the road I have to re-adjust my steering wheel angle because it changes. It feels almost like the side walls on the tires aren't stiff enough and the car shifts with the roll of the side walls like with real cheap tires or winter tires. The only thing thing is I have new Toyo Proxes 4 225/55R16. The dealer has checked out my car and the has found nothing wrong. I'm kind of at a loss... There is also a vibration in my steering when I'm at highway speeds, but my tires have been balanced twice. Were your problems similar to mine?
Any advice would be very appreciated...I started a thread but haven't gotten many responses.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah it was an accident. A ford ranger ran a redlight and hit the front right of my car..arg. But it was fixed and yeah, the tie rod was overlooked. But I got it fixed yesterday and man its a world of difference