No AC at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No AC at Idle

Hi Guys, I searched around on the forums and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

It just finally got hot down here in SC, it hit high 80s during the daytime, so when I went out to start my car in the afternoon it was blazing hot in the car and I cranked on the AC. I was waiting for my friend to come out and I noticed that even after 5-10 minutes there was no cold air coming out. When i drove off, the cool air started coming, but as soon as I stopped at a traffic light the air became as warm and humid as the outside air.

I'm hoping it's just a small issue, like low fluids, but I wanted to see if anyone could help diagnose my problem. Really hope it's not major, I don't have enough money to completely overhaul my AC system right now, but living without AC in the summer months would really suck =/

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

Im having the same issue with my girlfriends car. Also, neither one of the radiator fans are working..... If she turns the heater on, car temp runs ok, but if she doesnt, it starts to overheat. Sorry to highjack your thread......
Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jay707
Im having the same issue with my girlfriends car. Also, neither one of the radiator fans are working..... If she turns the heater on, car temp runs ok, but if she doesnt, it starts to overheat. Sorry to highjack your thread......
You either have a bad fan relay or a bad radiator fan switch. If you turn the A/C on does either of the fans turn on?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:25 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by syunit
Hi Guys, I searched around on the forums and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

It just finally got hot down here in SC, it hit high 80s during the daytime, so when I went out to start my car in the afternoon it was blazing hot in the car and I cranked on the AC. I was waiting for my friend to come out and I noticed that even after 5-10 minutes there was no cold air coming out. When i drove off, the cool air started coming, but as soon as I stopped at a traffic light the air became as warm and humid as the outside air.

I'm hoping it's just a small issue, like low fluids, but I wanted to see if anyone could help diagnose my problem. Really hope it's not major, I don't have enough money to completely overhaul my AC system right now, but living without AC in the summer months would really suck =/

Thanks in advance guys!
Make sure the condenser (small radiator looking piece next/on your engine's radiator) is not clogged up with debris/bugs. Also have the system pressure checked to be sure that the refrigerant is completely full.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
6MT Someday..

Id say the OP problem is probably low refrigerant.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Make sure the condenser (small radiator looking piece next/on your engine's radiator) is not clogged up with debris/bugs. Also have the system pressure checked to be sure that the refrigerant is completely full.
Originally Posted by twistedwedge
Id say the OP problem is probably low refrigerant.
I love AZ, i post up a question at 6 and 2 hours later i have 4 replies and a few solutions, thanks for all the help. i'll check both, hopefully tomorrow and I'll post up what i find out
Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze

good answer, the condensor seems like its not working correctly. if u really want to find out the leak, find a shop who can use nitrogen to draw the refrigerant, and fill the system with nitrogen. turn up the pressure close to max and check to see. not sure if our refridgerant uses pag oil with dye to checkl, would be easy.

ultimately if u cant find a leak on the condensor or any signs of the fan relay or switch bad, u would have to do a pressure test with the machine/sniffer/dye test.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

I called a local acura dealer and they want a $95 diagnostic fee to check my refrigerant level... where's a good place to get this checked out, possibly for free? Seems like something that shouldn't cost that much.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I called a local acura dealer and they want a $95 diagnostic fee to check my refrigerant level... where's a good place to get this checked out, possibly for free? Seems like something that shouldn't cost that much.
That's crazy...you should try local shop. They probably will fix it for that much
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

I'm probably just going to go to the store and grab a recharge kit, which includes a pressure gauge and everything to do a recharge... only problem is, how do i know what the correct pressure is? is this spec in the manual, because I couldn't find it. anyone know this information?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
6MT Someday..

If you dont know much about it I wouldnt recommend you messing with it. R134a systems are very sensitive to charge levels, if you overcharge it can mess things up. Take it to a local shop-theres nothing Acura patented on your a/c system that a decent shop cant handle. Good luck
Old 04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm probably just going to go to the store and grab a recharge kit, which includes a pressure gauge and everything to do a recharge... only problem is, how do i know what the correct pressure is? is this spec in the manual, because I couldn't find it. anyone know this information?
I used one of those last year. The instructions told what the press. should be & if I remember it was on the gauge. It worked for me. If you decide to try it, read the instructions carefully first, make sure you can find the ports, etc.